• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

3-9-2009 update

good looking plants MWM...but get ready, cold is coming back (at least it is here) for a week...

Yeah, I know its coming. Gonna be in the high 40's for about a week. The plants will be outside till wednesday evening, that is when it is supposed to hit. AJ, what are you doing up so late?

millworkman said:
AJ, what are you doing up so late?

had to get up and let Roscoe out... ;)

Well, looks like trouble already. This is happening to all my annuums and is starting to show on my contest fatalii's, oh shit.

IMG_2889.jpg

IMG_2890.jpg

I am hoping that the few will just die off and leave the rest alone. Even better would be letting them dry off completely and it goes away, we will see.

Could someone fill me in on what that is on the underside of the leaves? I seem to have seen a little of that on two of my plants. I was hoping it wasn't anything bad as both of those plants seem to be doing so well compared to the others.

I think it could be adema, caused by too much water. However, if they move and look like bugs while looking at them under a magnifying glass, they could be aphids. If that is the case you need to treat the plants asap. If it is adema, just allowing the plants to dry out should do the trick and new leaves will come in unaffected.

Absolutely not aphids. This showed up about 24 hours after transplanting to larger containers and it just so happened that they got watered the night before and when I transplanted. I checked them today and it seems to be going away so I am hopeful and we will see.

Then I would say Adema.

Here, check this out:
http://www.thehotpepper.com/showthread.php?t=4877

AND The diagnosis from OSU labs:

Diagnosis and Recommendations:Host/Habitat Pepper (Capsicum annuum var.); Cultivar: serrano chili
Diagnosis/ID Confirmed for: Oedema; Edema (Abiotic disorder)
Final Report :
The bumps on the pepper leaves are characteristic of a condition called edema, a non-infectious disorder.
The blisters develop when plants absorb more water than they are able to transpire. Later, the blisters may
rupture resulting in a scaly, crusty look and some distortion of the affected leaves.
Some plants, such as ivy geranium, are well known to suffer from edema and with ivy geranium, there are
some varieties that develop edema more frequently than others. Edema is an unusual problem on pepper,
there may be varietal differences among pepper types as there are among ivy geraniums.
Plant growth and production should not be significantly affected. The problem may, or may not, subside
once the affected plants are outdoors.
Barbara Bloetscher(bloetscher.1@osu.edu), Nancy J. Taylor (taylor.8@osu.edu); Dr.
Bob Precheur.
For C. Wayne Ellett Plant and Pest Diagnostic Clinic
Completed Date: 3/14/2008

Hey pepperfreak, how did those plants turn out?

Midweek update, it is supposed to get real cold here tonight so all the plants are back inside and warm in there beds.

IMG_2895.jpg

IMG_2896.jpg

Back