• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

3 cotyledons

I have a yellow 7 that came out with 3 cotyledons.....Is that normal? I've decided that it will be my special one :)

Yeah, I had three or four do that this year but they only grew sets of two true leaves. I was hoping to see plants with sets of more than two true leaves.

The technical term is "trifoliate". They look cool!!

Having one or more extra sets of chromosomes: a polyploid species; a polyploid cell.
Normal plants are diploid, meaning that they have two sets of chromosomes - one from each parent - in each cell
Perhaps it means there is another parent in the mix.
I suppose that the Naga Viper is a polyploid as it is a supposed mix of 3 superhots.
Tetraploids are out there too I had one earlier this season.
They all seem to grow out normal so I dont think it means too much
But I am not a botanist.[/font]

I believe the technical terms are "monocotyledonous" for single cotyledons, "dicotyledonous" for double cotyledons, and "mutant" for all others.... ;)

"Trifoliate" refers to true leaves.

I have scoured the web looking for more info on this..

The word "tri" means three. and Foliage refers to leaves. Sooo... Does trifoliate not mean leaves of three??? And why would it only refer to true leaves?

I see the monocots and dicots but nothing about three or more cotyledons.

Maybe The info I recieved was not accurate. Is there a technical term for three cotyledons or are these grouped with the dicots??? "Di" meaning two in greek??? How can three be calssified in a group called two cotyledons?

Had this happen to a couple of mine, freak peppers, speaking of mutants... My brazilian Starfish is growing really weird, leaves are coming out upside down and shoots are appearing under the nodes, its bizarre.

Back