• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

32 gallon Kratky setup - Orange Manzano

Great video Peter. Perhaps I missed this part but can I ask, What is the benefit of using the large trash can over using something like a 5 gallon bucket? Is it the frequency of changing the solution?

I must say, I'm liking your idea alot to use the pvc pipes with zip ties to anchor your peppers. I have a bucket DWC lid almost identical to the one you have. I can easily see myself making that.

As for the Kratky, I was wondering if you provide info on and of the following:

A per gallon ratio of time versus theoretical dissolved oxygen loss (assuming a standard pepper or medium sized tomato plant.)

AND/OR

how long you could go on a 5-Gal reservoir and a 30 gallon trash can like you have before you had to change your solution (plant pollutants / nutrient loss ect.) 

And also,

if oxygen loss is the problem, what would happen if I simply dropped an air pump into the system every so often to keep the oxygen level stable?

Would that defeat the kratky purpose? I have three small units with separate pumps that I can run at my leisure. But I was toying around with the idea of starting some kratkys since I have too many sprouted seedlings for the units I have. Otherwise, the extra seedlings may go in the ground eventually.

-Key

Excuse my ignorance.  I thought DWC worked because of the bubbler constantly adding O2 to the water roots.  This looks like DWC without the bubbler.  Am I missing something?  I would expect the roots to rot and the plant to die.  How on earth does this work?

kratky is different than dwc in that in kratky, only the distal tips of the roots grow down into the nutrient solution and they differentiate their function in nutrient and water absorbtion. other root fibers in the headspace above the nutrient solution differentiate their function to gas exchange.
the relative humidity in the headspace allows the roots to not dry out and die.

as the nutrient level drops, the roots grow longer, keeping the nutrient and water absorbing tips in the solution. 
problems arise when replenishing the nutrient solution. if you raise the nutrient solution level up into the gas exchange root zone the plant will "drown".
using a large kratky container minimizes the need add extra nutrient...big containers of nutrient allow you to set and forget the system for a good while.

in dwc my understanding is that most of the entire root system is submerged in an oxygen saturated liquid environment.

thats my limited understanding of kratky
check out MattGarver on the google pepper group or i think he is deeproots here at THP

At first I think this is amazing.  I would never think to just sort of trust that the roots would grow at the right speed to stay in the nutrient solution.  Then I think of the ancient raft systems,

Edmick said:
Great video Peter. Perhaps I missed this part but can I ask, What is the benefit of using the large trash can over using something like a 5 gallon bucket? Is it the frequency of changing the solution?
Thanks Edmick. Ideally you'd want enough solution to last the plant to harvest, fill and forget. The 32 gallon would have run empty if I had gotten it out sooner. You can refill them but have to be careful not to fill too much or you'll drown the plant. I'm hoping to score a 55 gal container for next year.

Malarky said:
kratky is different than dwc in that in kratky, only the distal tips of the roots grow down into the nutrient solution and they differentiate their function in nutrient and water absorbtion. other root fibers in the headspace above the nutrient solution differentiate their function to gas exchange.

as the nutrient level drops, the roots grow longer, keeping the nutrient and water absorbing tips in the solution. 
problems arise when replenishing the nutrient solution. if you raise the nutrient solution level up into the gas exchange root zone the plant will "drown".
using a large kratky container minimizes the need add extra nutrient...big containers of nutrient allow you to set and forget the system for a good while.

in dwc my understanding is that most of the entire root system is submerged in an oxygen saturated liquid environment.

check out MattGarver on the google pepper group or i think he is deeproots here at THP
That was one of the best explanations of Kratky method I've read. And yes, Matt Garver is a great person to talk to for more information. He's very knowledgable about this and other methods of growing.

Malarky said:

Oh I see. so my eyes didn't tell me the whole story.

Now I understand better how kratky actually works. 

Are any of you doing Kratkys outdoors, not in a greenhouse?

Stagnant liquids in my area are a magnet for worms. I would be nervous they would find a way into the reservoir and ruin the whole thing. Maybe the grow media would keep them out. here's to hope.
I might have to test it sometime. unless kratky is not meant to be used outdoors without artificial controls.

keybrdkid said:

Oh I see. so my eyes didn't tell me the whole story.

Now I understand better how kratky actually works. 

Are any of you doing Kratkys outdoors, not in a greenhouse?

Stagnant liquids in my area are a magnet for worms. I would be nervous they would find a way into the reservoir and ruin the whole thing. Maybe the grow media would keep them out. here's to hope.
I might have to test it sometime. unless kratky is not meant to be used outdoors without artificial controls.

Kratky works outside just fine. One of the main considerations is the possibility of rain water diluting the nutrient pool. Taking steps to make sure rain water doesn't pool and drain into the reservoir. You should look up Matt Garver on the google+ group Pepperlovers. He has an entire kratky garden. A mixture of tubs, garbage cans and even 5-gallon bucket systems that are fed by a 55ga drum with a float valve to control the nutrient level so as to not flood the breathing roots. If I get some time I'll try to link some of his pics.

https://plus.google.com/+MattGarver/posts/ZR6XhbufNyD

https://plus.google.com/+MattGarver/posts/5WUm3KoZYSY

https://plus.google.com/+MattGarver/posts/RktJdNEu6A5

https://plus.google.com/+MattGarver/posts/F2NxyKxsd4T

Sorry can't link from iPhone...

He goes into some experimentation about UV degradation of the tubs and light exclusion to keep algae at bay and importantly the exclusion of rain water and discussing the effect of nutrient temperatures. He's very thorough, and a joy to read. I've gotten responses from him on a variety of my own questions. He's based in Indiana I believe. But he does quote some kratky studies of ginger or other plants that were done in hawaii I think.

Sorry to ThreadJack Peter...didn't think you'd mind on this topic

Love the video Peter and i happen to have two 55 gal blue barrels waiting for a project.

I will give it a go this yr.

I have been inspired by your vids many times, time to take action and see what happens.

Back