• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

34 degrees tonight

We've become spoiled over the last three weeks with mid-spring like weather and lows in the 50s or even 60s for a couple of nights. Not so today - it is suppose to drop to 34 - way too cold to take a chance on leaving plants out. Hopefully, it will not get this cold again until late in October!

Mike

It is not that cold here, but it will get down to the mid 40's. Cooler than usual. My problem here is the damn wind. About 25 mph and whipping the plants all around. Making it difficult to harden off the next set of plants.

Hopefully this will be your last cold spell. Good luck!
jacob

34! They are calling for 32 or lower here :( I sure hope my lettuce, radishes, spinach and sweet peas will be okay......I wonder if I should cover them.

PF,

We grew lettuce under a cotton canvas and never grew Popeye food, but we never worried about peas and radishes. It's been too long to remember but I'm pretty sure we sowed those toward the end of March, which means they would have been up and growing by now.

Mike

It can't hurt. But I can tell you that it (at least my Black Seeded Simpson) is one tough cookie. A couple of years ago, we had hard freezes, several killing frosts and even a huge snowfall. I cut the last plant off on New Year's Day - had a great salad.

Mike

Weather here will be unusual tonight as well, down to 42, but the friggin wind has been beating up on everything since the bad storms this past Saturday. Luckily the tornadoes dodged me, but others not far away suffered terrible damage. :(

Radishes, spinach, head and leaf lettuce and peas are fine down to those temps. I sow both lettuce and radish seed when it's still below freezing at night and they come up good. I think cold temps make the peas sweeter, but I think lettuce grown outside is more bitter than the lettuce I do in the greenhouse.
I would go ahead and cover the lettuce but leave everything else alone.

Well, I forgot to get the lettuce covered last night before I went to bed and just checked everything. They all survived, but I have a question. How close do you guys thin out your leaf lettuce plants? The seed pack says 4-6 inches, but what happens if you crowd it for like the square foot gardening? They are all about 2 inches tall ATM and seem to be doing good. I just hate the thought of plucking healthy sprouts.

hmmm... i dont know if I should be jealous or not.. our temps have dropped down to about 8C overnight (not sure what that is with you're US conversions.. ) but I dont like it!! its COLD!! at least for me... think this weekend will be preparing for overwintering and sulking that the sun has gone to your side of the world :)

My plants are never that thick. I mix the seed in with either dry sand or very fine, oven dried dirt in a jar. Drill small holes in the lid and then shake the dirt/seeds out over the area. It takes a few minutes longer but I tend to get a nice even distribution of plants.

Linda said when she got up this morning it was below freezing and there was a heavy frost on the windshield.

Mike

Rule of thumb in New England never plant out until Mothers Day usually safe by then -- VT got a 12" of snow yesterday ! All my stuff is still under Florous for another 2wks

mel said:
hmmm... i dont know if I should be jealous or not.. our temps have dropped down to about 8C overnight (not sure what that is with you're US conversions.. ) but I dont like it!! its COLD!! at least for me... think this weekend will be preparing for overwintering and sulking that the sun has gone to your side of the world :)

8C = 46.4F Not that cold, unless you're hot blooded. ;)

Here's a handy dandy little app: Convert.

should I cover my .................... never mind, Mother Nature did it for me!
30F, -1C, high wind gusts, power outages all over the Province.

HPIM1787.jpg

Back