• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

45 degrees tonight. should i worry?

Its getting cool fast here in NH. Tonight is supposed to drop to 45f. Does that call for a harvest even if things aren't fully ripe?

I know I have done the following but not when only one night dipped that low, at the end of my season I uproot plants and hang them in my garage or basement and most all pods ripen. It has worked for me, I am sure others here have methods to share.

Yea, you should be fine, i had my plants hitt freezing few days last winter, and 99.9% of plants where fine. There was just one small bell pepper that didnt make it, but it was still young.

But +1 on covering them also.

Thanks I looked at my pods and decided to leave them till the weekend. its supposed to warm back up in a day or two, so I'll let them ripen a bit more. I just added a couple stakes to combat the wind.

About covering. These plants are in a raised bed garden certain plants are about 4 feet tall. Its hard for me to cover them. Any suggestions?

You are fine some can take a little bite but come October (remember last year? In CT we had almost 2ft of snow) watch the weather closely

If it's a windy night you don't need to worry about frost so much... it's the still nights that get cold that are the killers. Fog is a good pre-indicator, as it doesn't form except in still air. Putting black plastic film on the ground around the plants will help make a microclimate by warming the soil in daylight and radiating it at night. Adding plastic film over the plants will trap and hold the heat if it goes all the way down to the ground. Hope this helps.

45 degrees is no problem.

peppers will be survive down to freezing as long as it doesn't stay down there very long. tops of plants will get blasted but stuff under the canopy will be ok providing the canopy is thick.

45 degrees is no problem.

peppers will be survive down to freezing as long as it doesn't stay down there very long. tops of plants will get blasted but stuff under the canopy will be ok providing the canopy is thick.

Truth. 45f is like a breath of fresh air for most of my plants, they love it when the nights start getting cooler.

Back