• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

7 Pod or 7 Pot?

Many of the seeds I've gotten from Trinidad did not have a known name or proper spelling. Many farmers/growers just name their chiles with a simple name, often a discription of the pod shape like the Trinidad cherry, lantern, and nipples, or after regions like the Moruga red/yellow

That's interesting, if there's no need to sell pure seed or make mass produced sauces, I suppose there is also no real urgency to clearly name anything... maybe things are fluid with one year a "brain strain" appearing and the next from the same seed something different, but it still gets the job done...

I just talked to my friend here, he is from Trinidad, and had his family send me seeds. He has always called them and heard them called 7 pots. He was there for 20 years, take it or leave it.

There is obviously no clear answer but its funny to watch the pod/pot debate still rolling on after 7+ years :)
I have more than 1 Trinidad source that called them 7 pods years ago, but most Trinidadians actually knew very little about these peppers until recently.

Everybody call it as you see fit, and enjoy.

My guy said they would cook with the 7 pots by placing the whole chili in the rice or soup, and let it season the dish. Then they remove the actual pepper, because if you cut it up the dish would be too hot. Therefore the could use the pepper again and again......7 pots.

That is HIS story from living there for 20 years.

Everybody call it as you see fit, and enjoy.

My guy said they would cook with the 7 pots by placing the whole chili in the rice or soup, and let it season the dish. Then they remove the actual pepper, because if you cut it up the dish would be too hot. Therefore the could use the pepper again and again......7 pots.

That is HIS story from living there for 20 years.

You know this reminds me….I can’t think of one 7 that I’ve come across which was up to the task of heating up more than 3 pots of food and even then, by the 2[sup]nd[/sup] pot heat and flavor have fell off quite noticeably. Tastes being as subjective as they are one might rename em to 2 or 3 pots depending on your individual mileage, Lol….….sorry, couldn’t resist.

Frankly I think cardi can be trusted on this, as can potawie.

It's not a question I trust. I think each person trusts their source. There are multiple sources, so roll with either.

Back