7 Pot Primo Scoville Challenge

insain said:
Naga Morich SHU test at 1.598.227 million SHU
That was my first whole pod superhot to try. Lil thang tongue punched the ole fartbox the next day! #neverforget

Can't wait to try my first primo :)  I keep hearing how deliciously hot they are!

insain said:
Naga Morich SHU test at 1.598.227 million SHU
Didn't think it hit that hot man... Did find this on Duffy's site:

"However an unofficial test at Warwick University in England had a dried Naga Morich pepper pod come in at over 1,500,000 Scoville units!!!"

PepperLover said:
Hey primo how u doing
Doing good sister.  Finally got our house fixed up.  It was our first, and came with an undisclosed leak and bad roof.  The sellers covered up the leak, and the inspector dropped the footbal.  Leason learned:  Get two inspectors or one electrician, one roofer, one plumber, etc... lol So, I'm a little late on my crop this year, but with the louisiana heat, we should have a long season. ahhhh  How are you Judy?
thegreenman said:
Did Dale Have his Primo's tested? Has anyone else? what were the results? 
Think he's doing that now. I suppose we'll know soon.  Rock on.

Thank you for the reply
It's been one weird season too much rain cooler temperatures but still we are getting nice harvest every week
How is the weather down there

PepperLover said:
Thank you for the reply
It's been one weird season too much rain cooler temperatures but still we are getting nice harvest every week
How is the weather down there

Oh it has been strange hasn't it?!  It's been unseasonably hot here, with less rainfall then in previous years. The humidity is here and though the chinense love it, we do not.  Humidity brings forth humility to humanity. lol Glad you are getting some good harvest Judy.  We're a little late in the game here due to purchasing our first "moneypit". ha I'm learning the true meaning of home-ownership. ahhhhhhh  Take care sister and hope the weather treats you better.

So I wanted to update this thread with the latest testing results. After getting the highest result of the Primo to date of 1,469,000. I sent the same sample to another lab, where it was tested with a new methodology that involves electromagnetically charged carbon nanotubes to attract capsaicin onto a mesh and measures the PPM (parts per million) from an extracted solution. This method was founded by Oxford University in England.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18575641

The testing resulted in a reading of 1,431,191 SHU, slightly lower than the HPLC test, but still close enough to correlate the HPLC result.

Next week I should be receiving results from another independent HPLC test from another lab. This will be a different sample of Primos, from the same plants.

theghostpepperstore said:
So I wanted to update this thread with the latest testing results. After getting the highest result of the Primo to date of 1,469,000. I sent the same sample to another lab, where it was tested with a new methodology that involves electromagnetically charged carbon nanotubes to attract capsaicin onto a mesh and measures the PPM (parts per million) from an extracted solution. This method was founded by Oxford University in England.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18575641

The testing resulted in a reading of 1,431,191 SHU, slightly lower than the HPLC test, but still close enough to correlate the HPLC result.

Next week I should be receiving results from another independent HPLC test from another lab. This will be a different sample of Primos, from the same plants.
That's some nice consistency. I'm guessing that's average heat levels? Any idea on maximum and minimum levels or are the tests just for the average? Also, are you planning for applying for the Guinness record at all? 

MeatHead1313 said:
That's some nice consistency. I'm guessing that's average heat levels? Any idea on maximum and minimum levels or are the tests just for the average? Also, are you planning for applying for the Guinness record at all? 

Consistency on this test was expected since it was the same sample that was sent off for HPLC testing. I was more interested in whether or not a completely different testing method would yield the same result.

The maximum and minimum numbers that have been shown for other varieties come from testing multiple samples. So I think the minimum was one of the tests by Primo that was around 1.1 million, and the maximum would be my HPLC test of 1,469,000. Those are likely to change as more tests happen. Also, it is important to remember that each sample is itself an "average" of all the pods in the sample, but the average of all the samples is a different thing entirely.

I have no plans for applying for Guinness, if Primo decides to go after it, he has full access to my testing results.

The next HPLC test will be a different sample, which means it probably wont be as consistent, could be higher, could be lower.

Consistency on this test was expected since it was the same sample that was sent off for HPLC testing. I was more interested in whether or not a completely different testing method would yield the same result.

The maximum and minimum numbers that have been shown for other varieties come from testing multiple samples. So I think the minimum was one of the tests by Primo that was around 1.1 million, and the maximum would be my HPLC test of 1,469,000. Those are likely to change as more tests happen. Also, it is important to remember that each sample is itself an "average" of all the pods in the sample, but the average of all the samples is a different thing entirely.

I have no plans for applying for Guinness, if Primo decides to go after it, he has full access to my testing results.

The next HPLC test will be a different sample, which means it probably wont be as consistent, could be higher, could be lower.
Purely awesome of you man!

Awesome. Thanks for the info. I'm still fairly new to this so was unsure how it all worked in regards to the heat levels. Appreciate it.

If I can get some pods to ripen up I'm def gonna send some out to get tested. I got seeds from Primo earlier this year so genetics should be spot on.

Back