• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

7 Pots & Scotch Bonnets (2018- )

The canopy filled out again.
qvP0FTT.jpg

Not the best angle to see some of the adults, but they responded well to the last pruning. I'm letting the primo in the back corner flower.
There's enough light and space to fit in some of the new seedlings. Haven't noticed any stretch.
wKnNtpP.jpg

Walchit said:
What's that white thing with the black top? To the right of that one picture?
Trash can on an end table. I set a power supply on top so it doesn't hang. I try to stay on the cutting edge of horticultural science.

I hadn't seen that product. Was thinking about getting some alaska 5-1-1 for seedlings and spinach. I have neptune 2-3-1 i used last time, but I prefer to deprive them of P early on.

CaneDog said:
Those plants look great under the neutral light showing off their color.  Nice work!

Looking forward to the older ones moving on to the next stage.

I myself hadn't looked at them in plain light for a while. New growth is a little light-colored. The media stays wet, what with the low light and low transpiration rate in the cold. I think I can only feed them about once a month right now. It will pick up soon with the weather. I'm considering bringing them inside for a week, because it's ranging 60s-40s.

Mr. West said:
Trash can on an end table. I set a power supply on top so it doesn't hang. I try to stay on the cutting edge of horticultural science.

I hadn't seen that product. Was thinking about getting some alaska 5-1-1 for seedlings and spinach. I have neptune 2-3-1 i used last time, but I prefer to deprive them of P early on.
Hey West.  What's your thinking on depriving of P early on?  With P being non-mobile in soil and generally considered vital to early seedling development of roots, in particular, I have always looked at this the other way.  Once the root system is more established, and especially if there's a good hyphal network in the soil, I think differently, but it's always a focus of mine very early on.

CaneDog said:
Hey West.  What's your thinking on depriving of P early on?  With P being non-mobile in soil and generally considered vital to early seedling development of roots, in particular, I have always looked at this the other way.  Once the root system is more established, and especially if there's a good hyphal network in the soil, I think differently, but it's always a focus of mine very early on.

I think there's conclusive evidence that high (~5) N to P ratio keeps node spacing tighter. The effect is probably not as significant as fan and light. I agree with your points that P is needed for root development and immobile in soil. Last time, I did start them on 2-3-1, mostly for the roots.
Sort of like the concept of the wet/dry cycle. Supplying only a subsistence level of P stimulates the plant to form more exploratory roots in search of phosphates. The fertilizer in the mix (.12) is dispersed throughout, so the roots can connect the dots. There are also instances of excessive fertilizer resulting in shallow root networks, because the necessary nutrients are present in the immediate root zone.
Mostly, I think the alaska has a better ratio for my greens.

Mr. West said:

I think there's conclusive evidence that high (~5) N to P ratio keeps node spacing tighter. The effect is probably not as significant as fan and light. I agree with your points that P is needed for root development and immobile in soil. Last time, I did start them on 2-3-1, mostly for the roots.
Sort of like the concept of the wet/dry cycle. Supplying only a subsistence level of P stimulates the plant to form more exploratory roots in search of phosphates. The fertilizer in the mix (.12) is dispersed throughout, so the roots can connect the dots. There are also instances of excessive fertilizer resulting in shallow root networks, because the necessary nutrients are present in the immediate root zone.
Mostly, I think the alaska has a better ratio for my greens.

Thanks West.  You grow some good plants and obviously put a lot of thought into what you do, so it's good to hear about what you're doing and why.  With plants, there are so many variables it can be hard to emulate what another is doing and assume similar results, but I'll definitely be thinking about your points.

Likewise, thanks 'Dog.
CaneDog said:

Thanks West.  You grow some good plants and obviously put a lot of thought into what you do, so it's good to hear about what you're doing and why.  With plants, there are so many variables it can be hard to emulate what another is doing and assume similar results, but I'll definitely be thinking about your points.

The big plants have been inside for nearly a week. Low temps have been around 40. Tonight it's 45F. Then it's supposed to be over 55 for a while. Might even be totally in the clear. I'm thinking about moving them outside tomorrow. It's supposed to be cloudy.

70 seedlings going. Another 70 have germinated and are waiting to break ground.

Doin hoodrat stuff with their friends!

I have Alaska fish that I found in the garage too, hit the plants with it the other day. The compost tea kit came with browns fish hydrosalate, its 2-3-1 I think.

Plants are looking great, I wish mine could go outside this time of year!

Lol thanks for checking out the glog, Andy.
Wish I could feed my plants more often. I've been wanting to brew another tea. They're still heavy from the one I gave them weeks ago, and the roots haven't yet filled the pots. Anyway, they don't appear stressed. Being outside and getting the light they need will speed up the water throughput. The airpots have been outside since the first, and they dry out faster. So, they got fish recently. 

roper2008 said:
Your plants look gorgeous!  That's what I tell my plants when I talk to them in the morning. :crazy:

Linda
Thank you! I don't want my plants to rest on their laurels. I tell them, "You better get to work making me something hot." :onfire:

Back