smokers A Boy and His Smokers

JoynersHotPeppers said:
^^Yep on my 2015 list...stand up freezer for all the hunting I do
Envious, not that I have a big blood up or anything, but the idea of killing and prepping the animal through to the freezer appeals to me.  It is natures way rather than the packaged way.  Plus you get to keep the butchers cuts, and the price of meat here is insane.  My folks have a property which we are mulling taking over in the next 5-10 years.  Will be growing our own meat from then on methinks.  

Bumper said:
Envious, not that I have a big blood up or anything, but the idea of killing and prepping the animal through to the freezer appeals to me.  It is natures way rather than the packaged way.  Plus you get to keep the butchers cuts, and the price of meat here is insane.  My folks have a property which we are mulling taking over in the next 5-10 years.  Will be growing our own meat from then on methinks.  
Yes I am very much part of the farm to fork movement, one day I hope to live 100% that way

Niiiice….

Angus is the standard breed around here, great tasting beef.  Best for me is hung and aged for a month or so to lose some of the moisture and intensify the flavours.  Waygu can screw itself for the price, give me an aged Angus any day of the week.  

Mmmmm it must be steak time again, got to get some late bbq in before it is too cold to cook outside.  

JayT said:
I had a wonderful experience yesterday.  My brother raises angus and he served us juicy lucy's and tenderloin from one of his steers.  It might have been the best beef I have ever had.  

'Sup ya'll.  I have been kinda MIA lately.  I check in from time to time to lurk but haven't posted anything meaningful in some time.

Since farmer's market started in June I have been busy doing 4 markets per week.  I have been selling my sauces and rubs and BBQ!  To date I have done 64 pork butts, 6 briskets, over 50 lb of chicken and some sausage.  The pork is by far the best seller. I have been keeping it simple and offering one side, either baked beans or 'slaw.  I have been getting great response at the market. I also got to do two open houses for a family member who is a realtor.  We also did two 60+ person parties.

I have to say that the Relaxin' Jack brand is starting to get some pace to its growth.  Adding the hot and ready food aspect to the business has been huge.  I think I put the cart before the horse with starting with sauces and rubs last year.  But in retrospect now that I have some success selling the food at least I have a professional looking shelf stable product to add onto the food purchases.  I will try to get some food pics up here soon, but working multiple jobs like this and having kids is tough.

PS - A word about the smokers I purchased, they rock.  Awesome units.  They are rock solid at holding temps (I have been using a DigiQ which helps tremendously).  They look classy and draw in passers by who are interested in good Q.  If I had to do it again I would have purchased one large one and rolled off the extra cash for a 5' long propane grill.  I have some jobs coming up that will require me to pump out a large number of burgers and dogs.  I also want to get a flat top insert for the propane grill so I can do all kinds of cool stuff.

LUCKYDOG said:
Where are the festivals you are going to? I'd like to hook up with ya at some point. 
Monday Stratford Farm Market
Thursday Southbury Farm Market
Friday Monroe Farm Market
Saturday Bethel a Farm Market

I am also looking at adding another market right near The Yale campus on Fridays from 10 am - 2 pm

We will also be at The Garlic Festival in Bethlehem Columbus Day weekend. And CT on Tap. That one is held at the Weat Conn campus in September.

LUCKYDOG said:
Cool 
I might be able to make Saturday where in Bethel is it located?
It's near the Big Y and Starbucks. It's behind the UConn Extension building.

67 Stony Hill Rd
Bethel, CT 06801-3035
United States

HUGE WEEKEND WITH THE SMOKERS.  We are going back to the Westport Blues Views and BBQ Festival.  Hopes are high as are many of the contestants!  lol  Here is how we did in the past.

Year 1 - 1st place chicken
Year 2 - Grans Champs, 1st place chicken
Year 3 - 3rd place dessert
Year 4 - Reserve Champs
Year 5 - 2nd place ribs

Completely changing our approach to chicken this year.  I also plan on using one of my TD recipes for the chef's choice round.  Blue Pig Fig Melt!

Back