• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

A Cajun Boil That Even The Northern Folks Enjoyed!

We headed out on the big commercial shrimp-trawler of my son's uncle-in-law. Our goal was to catch enough BIG shrimp for a large crowd of family and friends. There were a few folks from up north, "Shreveport" (just kidding, OH, Pa, and CT) who had never eaten a Louisiana-type boil before. Some had never even heard of a Cajun-style boil.

It didn't take long for us to catch a bunch of 16-count shrimp. We traded some of them for a large box of Alaskan King crabs. We also caught about 20 pounds of bigole beautiful squid as bycatch in the trawl. I was gonna freeze them and cook them at a later date (at home) with butter and garlic. But, my son talked me into putting some in the boil. Well, the entire 20 pounds wound-up getting boiled. Un-freakin-real!

If those folks in Alaska ever start using our "boil" method, won't none of those King crabs make it down here anymore. They were fantabulous also!

BBQ Shrimp; We divided those big, fresh-caught shrimp into a few glass casserole pans. Melted a few pounds of butter on the side. Squeezed about 4-5 heads of "crab-boiled" garlic into the butter, poured about 1 capful of Liquid Crab-boil for each casserole dish, some sea salt, added copious amounts of black pepper to that. A nice generous sprinkling of my not-so-hot pepper powder, some Sweet Basil and, "frappayed" it all up in the big food processor. Poured that Cajun nectar till it just barely covered the shrimp. In the oven at 350 until the shrimp were ALMOST comepletely pink. They finish cooking while they rest on the counter for about 5-6 minutes and, are easy-peazy-choot-teezy to peel!

I'm tellin ya, we nearly crippled the bunch that came over for the boil! And, everyone waddled home with a nice go-box. Next time I'm gonna make some homemade bread to dip into that essence-of-shrimp butter sauce. And, I wish I would have had some large pieces of fresh sweet peppers to add to the butter sauce.

Note; BBQ shrimp MUST be prepared with the heads on. It's where the "essence" comes from.

Nudda Note; I don't have clue why they call it "BBQ" shrimp. It don't have a lick of BBQ sauce or tomato in it!

Frere, qui est bon manger!

Edited due to slobbering all over the keyboard.

What or who are these "northerner's" you are referring to?

Here in Texas we call them what they are.

Yankees.

Alaskan King Crab in crab boil?

That'd be a sin.

For one, its already cooked from the processor.

The biggest sin though.

IS NOT TAKING PICS!!!!!

texas blues said:
What or who are these "northerner's" you are referring to?

Here in Texas we call them what they are.

Yankees.

Alaskan King Crab in crab boil?

That'd be a sin.

For one, its already cooked from the processor.

The biggest sin though.

IS NOT TAKING PICS!!!!!

King crab, snow crab, dungeness crab...... it's all killer with Loosyanna boil spices! It be a sin to steam seafood!

No one at my son's house had ever eaten King crab in a Louisiana-boil, including me. However, EVERYONE said it was the best King crab they'd ever eaten. Now, just for the record, I believe I could prepare King crab "better" than just boiling them Cajun-style. And, there are guys here who can cook much better than I ever will, who could cook-up some King crab! There was not a morsel of the King crab in any of the go-boxes though.

I'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult to hang some photographs here. It's just that y'all are near-professionals with the photography skills around here. My photos are juvenile-grade AT BEST!

Also wish I wouldda had some boudin to add. Ever since I saw Phil with boudin in the boil, I've wanted to try it.

Lache pas! Ray

Bigoledude said:
No one at my son's house had ever eaten King crab in a Louisiana-boil, including me. However, EVERYONE said it was the best King crab they'd ever eaten. Now, just for the record, I believe I could prepare King crab "better" than just boiling them Cajun-style. And, there are guys here who can cook much better than I ever will, who could cook-up some King crab! There was not a morsel of the King crab in any of the go-boxes though.

I'm sure it wouldn't be that difficult to hang some photographs here. It's just that y'all are near-professionals with the photography skills around here. My photos are juvenile-grade AT BEST!

Also wish I wouldda had some boudin to add. Ever since I saw Phil with boudin in the boil, I've wanted to try it.

Lache pas! Ray

My pics just come from my iPhone! No skill needed! Point and shoot! If you're ever ready to give it a shot, give me a yell, and I'll walk you through it.... yeah, it's a bit of a pain in the arse, but people here have only imagination and visuals to go by when we post food posts! You'll need a photobucket of flickr account, btw

Back