• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

A couple more questions

Ok, so some of my seedlings are coming on to two weeks old. I have some of them in those little cells that are about 1¾ to 2 inches across and they are starting to gain their second set of true leaves. When is it time to pot up to a larger container?

When I do stick them outside I am going to plant a good portion of them in the garden and I am going to do containers on some of them. The ones that are going into the garden, is there an optimum distance that the pepper plants should be at?

I forgot to post the question that I was going to ask in the first place.

I have one Bhut Jolokia that appears yellowish. The leaves have been getting yellower. Its about 13 or 14 days old now. Can I go ahead and pot it up into a cup with some potting soil that has some nutrients for it?

I pot up when the seedling is starting to get their second set of leaves. By then they should have a decent enough root system to hold the pottimg mix together. I personally would wait to put them outside until they start to grow again after transplant. I don't like to give them 2 stresses at once. If the weather is good, they can go outside whenever. But wait to put outside for good until the nighttime temp is consistantly over 50.

I would go ahead and pot up the Bhut seedling and see if that helps it.

Good luck!
jacob

jjs7741 said:
I pot up when the seedling is starting to get their second set of leaves. By then they should have a decent enough root system to hold the pottimg mix together. I personally would wait to put them outside until they start to grow again after transplant. I don't like to give them 2 stresses at once. If the weather is good, they can go outside whenever. But wait to put outside for good until the nighttime temp is consistantly over 50.

I would go ahead and pot up the Bhut seedling and see if that helps it.

Good luck!
jacob

I did go ahead and pot that Bhut up today. I was outside today and I heard a chain saw. So, I went out to the street to see who the heck it was. I get there and my new across the street neighbor who just bought up that acerage was cutting a dead tree. I looked at it and there was nothing about that tree that would have caused me to think it was safe to be doing what he was doing. I told him there was no way in hell that this tree was not going to fall on the power lines, his fence and my fence. He said not to worry about it he had it under control. Pretty much let me know to mind my own business. I did. He cut the tree and I was wrong, it did miss my fence. Got those powerlines and his fence though. Power just now came back on after the power comany come and fixed it. I had to talk the ole boy from getting on his ladder and trying to cut the tree out of the power lines. My new acoss the street neighbor aint working with a full deck.

At least it was nice enough of a day that I could take my seedlings out. No power in the house meant they needed light. They are back under the light now.

Some people just ave no sense at all. That is all that can be said about that. He is probably looking at a big bill from the power company for the repairs as well.

jacob

some people just ain't got a clue...

Well, this morning my seeds dont look any worse for being outside yesterday. I had them in the shade anyway. This is the time of the year that I have turned all climate control in the house off because you can run the AC one day and be running the heater the next day. I think my seedlings will probably be fairly easy to harden off because of that. Does that sound right? Its just a light issue now because they are already used to the temps?

Mjd...you gotta remember...hardening off is not just for temperature and sun...it is against the winds of time that will change them...IMO, sunscald is the number one issue with hardening off, but the plants will recover...then it is the wind...you need to make sure the stems have been toughened enough to withstand a pretty substantial wind...

+1 AJ
The wind can also suck a lot of moisture out of plants that aren't used to it, and combined with bright sun a lot of damage can occur quickly

Matt50680 said:
My personal favorite...
Somewhere he is depriving a village of their idiot.

Or, he could be providing us with one. ¿Que no?

AJ, I did take the sun into account and I put them out in the shade of an oak tree.
I also put the fan on them 3 times a day for 30 minutes each day. If I am missing something please be sure to tell me.

My math really sucks and I need yalls help on something. I am going to buy 510 square four inch pots. I aksed the four inch pot sellers how much potting soil would it take to fill these. He or she emailed me back and said that each four inch square pot takes 39 cubic inches per pot.

Now, I've been looking at the potting soils and they seem to go by "dry quarts" on the bags.

So, ¿how many dry quarts does it take to fill 510 square four inch pots that need 39 cubic inches per pot?

Thank Yall in advance
Mike D

1 cubic inch = .00372 dry gallons = .01488 dry quarts

39 cubic inches = .14508 dry gallons = .58302 dry quarts

510 containers @ .58302 dry quarts per container = 297.3 qts

garden soil usually comes in 40 qt bags

therefore...

297.3 quarts @ 40 qts per bag = 7.43 bags....get 8....

AlabamaJack said:
1 cubic inch = .00372 dry gallons = .01488 dry quarts

39 cubic inches = .14508 dry gallons = .58302 dry quarts

510 containers @ .58302 dry quarts per container = 297.3 qts

garden soil usually comes in 40 qt bags

therefore...

297.3 quarts @ 40 qts per bag = 7.43 bags....get 8....

You make that look easy. Thank You. Whew, that for sure adds to the "price per plant" figure, ¿que no?

how do you think I feel when i have to pot up 1500-2000....at 9 bucks a bag for what I use it gets quite expensive...was only 6 two years ago

AlabamaJack said:
how do you think I feel when i have to pot up 1500-2000....at 9 bucks a bag for what I use it gets quite expensive...was only 6 two years ago

I am thinking it must be worth it to you in some fashion. I dont think I can sell as many pepper plants as you do. I do, however, think that I can sell a whole bunch of tomato plants and introduce some pepper plants along the way. I dont exactly live in Houston even though I have a Houston address. I live in the county between Houston & Humble. AJ, you have no idea how much I appreciate yours and everybody elses help that I have be recieving here on this forum.

Back