• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

A couple more questions

AlabamaJack said:
how do you think I feel when i have to pot up 1500-2000....at 9 bucks a bag for what I use it gets quite expensive...was only 6 two years ago

AJ,

I has a bit over 1,000 plants last year but I had to pay $12 per bag for Fertilome. This year, the price is $16 but it comes in 50 lb. bags.

Mjdtexan said:
I am thinking it must be worth it to you in some fashion. I dont think I can sell as many pepper plants as you do. I do, however, think that I can sell a whole bunch of tomato plants and introduce some pepper plants along the way. I dont exactly live in Houston even though I have a Houston address. I live in the county between Houston & Humble. AJ, you have no idea how much I appreciate yours and everybody elses help that I have be recieving here on this forum.

Mike,

There seems to be three types of buyers of tomato and pepper plants:
One group looks for the cheapest plants - they are happy to buy them in 2" containers as long as they don't cost more than about $1.50 per plant but will buy 6-30 plants.
Another group looks for the biggest plants, preferably in blooms. They will gladly pay $6-7 for a couple of plants in six-inch pots with a bamboo stake holding it up.
The other group looks for decent size plants in medium size (3") pots. They usually buy a couple three-five plants and do not mind paying $2-3 per plant.

This year, I'll have toms in both the 3" and 2" containers. The smaller ones will be 6 for $8 but I will not divide them up. The 3" containers will be $2.50 each, though if I have a lot, I may lower them to $2.

I also hope to have some special plants such as cotton, Jicama, coffee and such for $5 each.

Mike

jjs7741 said:
Actually it is 1728 cubic inches to cubic foot.

jacob

I am glad you said that. I was trying to extrapolate (sp?) how many dry quarts were in 3.8 cubic feet and it was not working out for me. I found Pro Mix BX Bales that are 3.8 cubic feet. I cant tell if this stuf is the potting mix everybody is raving about. I found someone local that is selling it (Teas Nursery).

If that is the 3.8 cf compressed bale, that is actually about 7 cf of potting mix when you uncompress it. 1 bale will do a whole lot of those 4 in pots.

Promix BX is highly recommended. I want to try to find some myself, but the nursery I frequent doesn't carry it. I will try others here soon to see if I can find some. Shipping is just too expensive to order online.

Happy growing!
jacob

jjs7741 said:
If that is the 3.8 cf compressed bale, that is actually about 7 cf of potting mix when you uncompress it. 1 bale will do a whole lot of those 4 in pots.

Promix BX is highly recommended. I want to try to find some myself, but the nursery I frequent doesn't carry it. I will try others here soon to see if I can find some. Shipping is just too expensive to order online.

Happy growing!
jacob
Jacob, thank you very much for your math. Mine sucks. That bale is $42.95 and they say it weighs 65 pounds.

Back