• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors a fishing thread

Took the boat out on Port Phillip Bay, launching from Werribee South. Conditions were great and were long overdue. 
1DS1Rkf.jpg

Only fished the bottom with mussels being the most productive bait.

Dusky Flathead.
78H7FP5.jpg

Gurnard.
JP5tUM1.jpg

Three Flathead and the Gurnard were kept for the dinner table, a few other Flathead and some pesky Toad fish were released. 

SR. 

Trout tastes like dirt...and I'm not talking about farmed trout. Pan fish are much better eating. Wild walleye, catfish...even bass are solid. Trout...just not my thing. 

ColdSmoke said:
Trout tastes like dirt...and I'm not talking about farmed trout. Pan fish are much better eating. Wild walleye, catfish...even bass are solid. Trout...just not my thing. 
Same here I don't care much for trout but the anadromous Steelhead taste allot better than the trout that only live in lakes/streams. 

I would say trout flavor is subjective depending on their diet as with all game. My home lake is full of the best tasting pink and orange fleshed trout you could imagine. They uniquely feed almost solely on tiny snails and are the sweetest mildest tasting trout. Told a friend it was chicken breast once and he believed me lol.

Looks like I started some FW/SW beef!!!! hahaha   See,this is why I stay waaayy back in the woods in those little streams where nobody else is.I do think trout tastes like shit,and I am strictly a C&R fisherman so the majority of fish I eat are saltwater. We do eat walleye and perch though. I think most people in the Great Lakes region like them. 

3 day weekend in NC Pennsylvania. Was really foggy and hiked more than anything,so left the camera behind for most of the trip. Scouted some really nice spots for future trips.

37464872550_f45fcacb55_b.jpg

37464855740_973d3277cc_b.jpg

37695452826_540cc87b7c_b.jpg

37464878530_56f7137ce3_b.jpg

37690385542_32e1b54b98_b.jpg

37711971572_2501eb33c5_b.jpg

BigB said:
I gotta say PS, you take some of the prettiest fish pictures i've ever seen. those fish look spectacular

Thanks. I don't take a ton with the camera because I like to get them back on their way ASAP. A quick handshake and back in the water. It's safer for me to just get a quick shot with the celly. When I have someone with me I shoot more than fish,and it's easier to take photos of the fish.

I think you are the one who mentioned the mushrooms before. Is this what you were talking about?? There is another that is more tan in color and visible rings also.

37731517302_3248c06ffd_b.jpg

yes it was me, that does look like a reishi, but extremely red. never seen one like that, but the ones that are more tan with visible rings i know 100% are edible. take a knife and gently slap the blade inside the meat. about as far as the bad goes, cut off the rim to that depth. they fry up in some butter very deliciously, or pasta or whatever 

Pr0digal_son said:

Thanks. I don't take a ton with the camera because I like to get them back on their way ASAP. A quick handshake and back in the water. It's safer for me to just get a quick shot with the celly. When I have someone with me I shoot more than fish,and it's easier to take photos of the fish.

I think you are the one who mentioned the mushrooms before. Is this what you were talking about?? There is another that is more tan in color and visible rings also.

37731517302_3248c06ffd_b.jpg

FW vs SW...hmmmm   I like both.  Having been a navy brat and then a traveling Supt I pretty much fished both across the US.  Most are partial to their local but I never had a local for more than a couple years.  

Now that I'm stuck in the midwest, I miss wahoo, snapper, grouper, flounder, redfish, salmon, steelhead, halibut, sea trout, weakfish(grey trout) and others.  Heck I even like rockfish(stripers) and croakers.  There are a lot more options on the salt especially if you have a boat. 

Now I target walleye and perch but they are harder to find.  I can get unlimited bluegill, crappie and cats.  I prefer crappie in the R months like oysters or they get mushy.  I will only eat bass off the ice and they taste more like bluegill.  I pretty much do most of my fishing off the ice then chase the spawn until June. 

Channel/blue cats around here are awesome up to 5 lbs but I would not want a cat from MI or FL that big. I found the flavor drops off quickly after 12 in.  Flathead cats are the best and don't taste much different up to 30lbs.  We have longears, green sunfish and pumpkinseed which are pretty much the same tasting as gills here.  I have heard the the NE pumpkinseeds don't taste as well. 

I was just planning a salmon trip to WA next summer and to see family.  They taste much better than the Great lakes salmon/steelhead.  I guess it really depends on the body of water, diet and what you are used to.

I can't stand bud, miller or coors after drinking fresh full flavored beer.  Most of my friends can't take hoppy beers cause they grew up on cheap beer.  

In any case they taste much better off the ice!

Fished a nice little limestone influenced headwater stream loaded with Brown Trout parr last weekend. The main stem is one one the famous limestoners in PA and has blizzard hatches,but it was super heavy after bad rains and almost too dangerous to fish. We made an effort but just too rough. Some larger browns were moving up into the tribs to spawn and my buddy hooked one on the first cast of the trip. It spit his fly when he went to scoop it up under the belly. I specifically told him to bring a net as it's way easier for me to photograph fish,plus it's safer on them. Well he didn't and it screwed him this time. In the photos you will see he went and grabbed it after I bitched at him. It didn't matter though because we caught all parr stage Browns and smaller Brookies after that.

First photo is a small section of a mountain that broke apart. You can see the limestone chunks and it's the reason why this region of the state has fertile valleys good for farming,and also high alkalinity streams loaded with invertebrates and trout.
38173725161_7d2aa59254_b.jpg

38345107891_898305509c_b.jpg

37631272424_596ff7ee6a_b.jpg

38290092706_556821242b_b.jpg

38290103856_b4d8388408_b.jpg

Back