• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors a fishing thread

Did some bowfishing last weekend. Going out again tomorrow. If anyone has any good recipes for carp I'm all ears.

Attachments

• 20200522_075709.jpg
    20200522_075709.jpg
    366.8 KB · Views: 127
Edmick said:
Did some bowfishing last weekend. Going out again tomorrow. If anyone has any good recipes for carp I'm all ears.
Fish balls, patties, croquettes.
Mince the fish, eggs flour or fine breadcrumbs and spices.
Roll in panko or other breadcrumbs, crushed potato chips or batter.
Deep fry.
Serve topped with spicy, chunky salsa or chutney.

Edmick said:
Clean out the mud vein. Don’t eat the belly meat, that’s where the pollution/heavy metals stay in the fish. Smaller carp are better eating than the big ones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I managed to escape the city for another fishing trip.  The next three days are going to be nice, but today was pretty awful.  I fished in the wind and steady rain.  The lake was weird today and the fish weren’t following their normal patterns.  I was able to land this Bluegill and Pumpkinseed Sunfish before calling it a day.

392SsBN.jpg

dragon49 said:
I managed to escape the city for another fishing trip.  The next three days are going to be nice, but today was pretty awful.  I fished in the wind and steady rain.  The lake was weird today and the fish weren’t following their normal patterns.  I was able to land this Bluegill and Pumpkinseed Sunfish before calling it a day.

Even if bad weather is not what I'm looking for when I plan to go fishing, I had pretty awesome haul while fishing during rainy/windy/shitty days. If you can acces the shore where the winds blows to (safely), give it a shot and be ready as monsters might be lurkin nearby ;) Island and shallows always are a good place to spend some times too IMO. Can't wait to say "FISH ON", good luck!! 

I caught this monster deep in the Lily Pads, ten feet from shore. The water wasn’t more than three feet deep. I was trolling with a four inch Senko, reeling in very slowly.

wQNcVqc.jpg

Not Bass season, and this is a catch and release Bass lake, so this went on to live another day.

nSLtHwz.jpg

I threw this Largemouth Bass back as well.

xezk2nf.jpg

This is what a bucket is supposed to look like! I stayed on the lake longer than usual, trying to land a fifth Pickerel, but ended up one short of the New York State limit. At the end of the day when it had cooled a little, they were biting on every cast, but the mighty Escoids are clever and it was very hard to set the hook.

RXPPi0k.jpg

The cutting table.

OK8tKcW.jpg

Great day on the water! I caught the New York State limit of five Pickerel.

ymUwalP.jpg

I caught half of today’s catch with this deep diving Minnow Crankbait.  I’m beginning to think that lure colors don’t matter.  None of the natural bait in the lake is orange, yellow, green, blue, and purple.

aQUnBXu.jpg

I'm headed back to the city tomorrow, so that's all the fish pictures for a while.  I'll add some lakeside scenery to the thread in a few days.

Saltwater time:

These Blowfish (technically "Northern Puffers") are delicious.  Really easy to clean.  Just cut 3/4 of the way down below the head and pull the tail out.  

I've got a good system.  I buy these preconfigured double rigs on a wire.  There either for Fluke or Porgy.  The rigs are the same, except for the hook sizes. I replace the hooks with #4s, as it is too hard to set the hook with the bigger hooks, as the Blowfish have very small mouths and take nibbling bites.  I normally use squid, but the the bait and tackle shop was out,so I used Clam bellies.  Chuck out the line and reel in slowly.  The Blowfish are so abundant at my spot that I've getting a bite on every cast.  My technique is OK, but even the more experienced locals can't bring them in on every cast, because it is a difficult hookset.

Yours truly:

sk58SFF.jpg

lNEiAS3.jpg

For full disclosure, my nephews caught four of these:

0LBKFhT.jpg

Back