• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

outdoors a fishing thread

I shoulda' mentioned.

That flick is a live feed from Brooks Falls Katmai.

The sockeye run is still thick.

But on the backside now.

An Alaskan brown bear can skin a fish.

Better and faster than any human with a knife.

Now for some left coast saltwater.

Went out with a coworker off the Oregon coast for a couple of morning trips for groundfish.  Pretty simple fishing - 20 oz lead ball, a couple of jigs tied on above, tip jigs with a hunk of squid, drop down to the bottom at about 120 feet of water, vertical jig over the rocks and reefs, try not to hang your lead. 

Fishing was pretty hot.  Day one, 5 rockfish and 2 ling cod per person - that's the limit.  Plus a little flounder and a cabezon.  Day 2, again a limit of rockfish, but only a couple of lings before it got a little snotty and we decided run home.    Most of the catch were copper and canary rockfish, with a few yellow eye, black, and China mixed in.  We released a bunch. 

And yes, they are tasty!  

Copper Rockfish
MOqzg8x.jpg

Ling Cod
s9zNQ8p.jpg

texas blues said:
I shoulda' mentioned.

That flick is a live feed from Brooks Falls Katmai.

The sockeye run is still thick.

But on the backside now.

An Alaskan brown bear can skin a fish.

Better and faster than any human with a knife.
And brown bears can skin you faster than you can shake a stick at it [emoji16]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fishhead said:
Now for some left coast saltwater.

Went out with a coworker off the Oregon coast for a couple of morning trips for groundfish.  Pretty simple fishing - 20 oz lead ball, a couple of jigs tied on above, tip jigs with a hunk of squid, drop down to the bottom at about 120 feet of water, vertical jig over the rocks and reefs, try not to hang your lead. 

Fishing was pretty hot.  Day one, 5 rockfish and 2 ling cod per person - that's the limit.  Plus a little flounder and a cabezon.  Day 2, again a limit of rockfish, but only a couple of lings before it got a little snotty and we decided run home.    Most of the catch were copper and canary rockfish, with a few yellow eye, black, and China mixed in.  We released a bunch. 

And yes, they are tasty!  

Copper Rockfish

Ling Cod

Great looking fish!  I used to fish for those types a lot up in the San Juans, bouncing the bottom with jigs around kelp beds. 

Made great fish 'n' chips.  :)

I just moved to Florida (Palm Beach County) and need some places to fish.

Last weekend, I spent two hours in Lake Osborne in Lake Worth and didn't get any bites.  I also fished for around five hours in Lake Ida West Park in Delray Beach and didn't get any bites.

I'm looking for lakes not more than thirty minutes away from Boynton Beach with shore access and legal, accessible parking near the shore.  I have very good boots, so I don't mind some rough terrain, but I'm not going to stand in the middle of a thorny bush and side-cast all day.  My PB is very small, so I'm of course looking for some lunker bass, but don't mind other species or smaller bass.

What are some good lakes near me?

Happy New year!

Thanks!

I didn't catch any fish during this outing, but I did invent the Velcro/weed anchor.  As the weeds were very strong and firmly attached to land, it was very effective.  I find it very hard to fish from a moving boat where the normal current prevents stopping.  That day was very windy, so it would have been even harder.

I6HGEMx.jpg

Should I apply for a patent. :)

Man it's been some time, life sure has been busting balls these past years. But finally after on again/off again fly in fishing plans we got to fly out to the Albany River once again for a solid 7 days of off the grid, forget the world & pound fish adventure. Our destination was Lake Abazotikichuan, the Albany river runs through it & another river (The Opichuan) end its run at the bottom of the lake.
Screenshot 2021-08-19 092855.png

36_f286Q.jpeg

Main species are Walleye & Northern Pike but you can find Brook Trout in the Opichuan & Albany river if conditions are right. Plus with a portage you can access Opichuan Lake that has Lake Trout & Whitefish plus the whole system has many roughfish species of which Sturgeon is a must target. There are 2 camps on this lake & both have layed dormant for almost 20years. One camp is all but gone now, the other has been cobbled together and likely held together by the local Natives as a stopover on their travels, likely more of a winter spot. A fairly new outfitter had taken it upon himself to try and rejuvenate this long "lost" gem!
2J7XdfJw.jpeg

8pSOIedg.jpeg

Now the tale I'm going to tell of the fishing may seem well exaggerated but can assure you the numbers aren't a lie. 7 day's, 4 guy's, 2 boats and if you are a Walleye fisherman this place will be your wet dream. We didn't keep count as that would have needed an extra person just to do that but if we boated less than 100 fish each per day, we would have thought something was wrong. The very first hour of us being on this lake, my partner & I hit the outflow of the Opichuan & our first 6 casts had double headers then I followed up with 17 consecutive fish on 18 casts. We spent 2 hours there and almost every cast netted fish.
kn9wwWmQ.jpeg

The other 2 guys joined up and also pounded fish. It would also be something if these were just Walleye, but almost every fish was a quality fish. We averaged over the week with about 3lbs per fish, some smaller & larger of course but it was insane.
DSCN1745.JPG

Pike fishing was also top notch. There was a ton of snot rockets to be sure but enough between 24-34" to make it fun. Quite a few in the 36-39" range & a few topping the 40", my new PB was a 41" 18-20lb'r caught on top water. Many big guys also lost in the fight or boatside.
DSCN1667.JPG

SkeI3kOQ.jpeg

My new PB
DSCN1716.JPG

Above the lake in the Albany there are a series of rapids you can run to a place called Frenchman's Rapids which was the absolutely best Walleye fishing I've ever had. You had the current pushing against us & the wind from the other direction haystacking the water which either turned on the fish or it really didn't matter. Everyone at one point looked & each other and said "DONE!" as we had pulled in an insane amount of fish
3FIGP4Jw.jpeg

XYkL5PQA.jpeg

We fished the Opichuan hoping for some Brookies but no dice. We also did the portage over to Opichuan Lake as a least one Native keeps the portage open for their trapline. It is a bit of a slug as this was low water season & many rock jams tried to stop us. Only one boat for us on the lake so 4 to a boat it was. Didn't find any Lakers, marked a lot of fish just no takers on this day.
SG08s3Bw.jpeg

Outflow of the Opichuan
38bxhcWw.jpeg

Wva4xc7A.jpeg

Tight room but a blast

In the end, man we had an incredible adventure with truly some of, if not the BEST fishing I've ever experienced. A new PB pike and a new spot that we'll likely return to again. This Covid shit has been tough on everyone & this trip was a giant gasp of relief, fuck it felt great ( & long missed)
DSCN1708.JPG

@Pr0digal_son Unfortunately we didn't catch any Lakers but everything we marked was below 40'. Because of the trek in, we spent about 4 hrs total on the lake & we wanted to hit the outflow of the Opitchuan and try for Brookies. We only managed 2 walleye in the lake but both were caught in 60' which really surprised us. We did mark a lot of fish just no takers.

Last edited:
received_695022374812191.jpeg

While this is not exactly fishing, I am on the water. So this has been a very long time coming, like 30 years coming, but I finally pulled the plug & dove head first into hunting. Now I'm sure that my American counterparts reading this understand somewhat of what its like to gain a firearms licence up here in Canada and depending on your State may even seem crazy but I'm glad to have finally gone through all the red tape. I have up and moved to a smaller area recently north of Toronto where the lake is steps from my house & hell I can go out and blast birds....well try to anyway.
While I can't see this replacing my love of fishing anytime soon I really am digging the hell out of this currently (migratory bird season) & have eaten more Duck these past few weeks (5 weeks I think) than the past 40+ years.
received_464549955015314.jpeg

Back