A gardener's WORST nightmare, literally!

Feel free to chime in with some pics of what you would NOT want to find in your garden. 

click on the names for the facts

Lets start off with the fact that I have had bouts in the past with snails and slugs... But, could you imagine finding an infestation of these guys?!
banana+slug+Ariolimax+columbianus+2.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

1432015_2210358611InvertebrateBreed_GiantAfrican.jpg

giantsnail-jpg.jpg

Albino
4dd47b9726aa276c19b5b2d11016e837.jpg

Banana Slug and East African Land Snail

I know, not all beetles are bad, but damn. 
worlds-biggest-beetle-2.jpg

Titan Beetle

Anyone got rabbit problems?!
worlds-largest-rabbit-darius-jeff-fb.jpg
7987-0-obrovsky-zajac.jpg

Giant.jpg

Darius Rabbit

Tell me... are salamanders garden pests? I really don't think so, at least not around here. And this one is totally blind and lives in caves. So, I feel safe. But just knowing this thing is out there...
4fede9c2804c7ebb699c79fe1047fe45.jpg

japanese-giant-salamander.jpg

51030ae47f5a313430fb330fe0a6e6d0.jpg

Chinese Giant Salamander

Rats can be found pretty much anywhere around the world. Some of them grow to be absolute giants!
storymaker-rats-contest-nyc-0111124-514x268.jpg

Giant Rat

And, be weary of the gnomes... They're always watching you.
lifeguard-gnome-4.jpg

Voyeuristic Garden Gnome

Haha it is as they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure. Those of us that like to hunt small game will find that planting a garden will increase your hunting "yield" if ya know what I mean ;)

Now this actually is a possibility in my area... I'm a little to suburb to really worry about this, but one or two cities away and they actually become a real concern.

(not me, btw)
snake001.jpg

Western Diamondback Rattlesnake

This is one of only two(?) truly venomous lizards in the world. And it lives within driving distance of me... Never seen one in the wild, though they are technically my neighbors.

It would suck if you didn't know it was poisonous and saw it in your garden!

gila-monster-attack-donnie-barnett.jpg

Gila Monster

The only other venomous lizard in the world, naturally, lives very close to me too! Though, predominantly much further south of me (Mexico to Guatemala).

Heloderma_alvarezi.jpg

Mexican Bearded Lizard

mrgrowguy said:
Now this actually is a possibility in my area... I'm a little to suburb to really worry about this, but one or two cities away and they actually become a real concern.

(not me, btw)
snake001.jpg

Western Diamondback Rattlesnake

This is one of only two(?) truly venomous lizards in the world. And it lives within driving distance of me... Never seen one in the wild, though they are technically my neighbors.

It would suck if you didn't know it was poisonous and saw it in your garden!

gila-monster-attack-donnie-barnett.jpg

Gila Monster

The only other venomous lizard in the world, naturally, lives very close to me too! Though, predominantly much further south of me (Mexico to Guatemala).

Heloderma_alvarezi.jpg

Mexican Bearded Lizard

The Komodo Dragon is also poisonous.

SR.

Shorerider said:

The Komodo Dragon is also poisonous.

SR.

Komodo Dragon

AHH, a learned one... The saliva of the Komodo Dragon is in fact so inhabited with bacteria and other germs, that it is often mistaken as poison. (please read the whole post before arguing this point)

The difference with the Gila Monster and the Mexican Bearded Lizard is that they are the only lizards to have formed 'overt' poison glands and distribution methods.

But yes, once bitten by the Komodo Dragon, the prey usually walks away and dies from the infection of the wound. The Komodo Dragon then follows the scent trail to collect its bounty.

Thank you for that!

HOWEVER, there is some new research which may prove that there are in fact more than two poisonous lizards, but it is current being scrutinized. I think a lot of it boils down to the production of toxin, more than their respective delivery systems. Which, of course, may lead to incorporating the Komodo Dragon into the venomous species category.

I know I use a lot of google links, but my information comes from many different sources, I just like the ease-of-use with google :) Also, some of my knowledge is a bit old, so I may be wrong entirely. Which I don't mind. I prefer the facts over pride.

@Shorerider Here is a source that provides good evidence for your case that Komodo Dragons ARE poisonous (from National Geographic): click

mrgrowguy said:

@Shorerider Here is a source that provides good evidence for your case that Komodo Dragons ARE poisonous (from National Geographic): click

LOL, We must have been looking at the same information just now

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Could you imagine one of these guys tearing up your roots?!

Anyone have this problem?

1422522865617.jpg

Story from above

wild_boar_3.jpg

mrgrowguy said:

LOL, We must have been looking at the same information just now

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Could you imagine one of these guys tearing up your roots?!

Anyone have this problem?

1422522865617.jpg

Story from above

wild_boar_3.jpg

That's alot of bacon!!

Back