• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

heat A Middle Road Heat, But Heavy On The Citrus?

Hello, the perennial "noob" here, not the annual type.

I've been mostly reading as much as I can on these forums since late last year. All initial questions I had about my virgin foray into growing chili plants were answered just by reading, in one way or another. One that was not was trying to aim at growing medium hot chili plants (again, my first year) with more citrus/non-sweet blend of flavor for a sauce mix.

The hottest that I'm growing are orange Habanero, and Thai Hot (name on the seed packet). I'm not hardcore, so I wanted to grow specific plants just to make my own mid-range hot sauce for myself. Growing a bunch more for stuffing, and some of the cute mini ones to try my hand at drying for flakes. Blah, blah....

I'm growing Lemon Drop (advertised as a more citrus taste), so my noob idea is to blend them with the orange Habanero, and possibly some Thai Hot. But beyond that, I'm looking for some balance for a more bitter taste that isn't too bitter, if that makes sense.

Other things I'm growing (again, for the first time) that I think might be good to combine are tomatoes, tomatilloes (my big investment as far as garden room), cucamelons (cute as funk)... and then maybe a touch of epezote or basil?

I don't know. I've gone over so many recipies that my mind is mush. I think I'm looking for a rounding filler, but I'm not quite sure. My bottom line is to try and arrive at a sauce for me that is medium thick, middle heat, maybe a little too heavy on the bitterness (?), but does include some sweetness too.

Apologies for not really knowing what I'm talking about, but I would really appreciate any thoughts.

Regards

boutros said:
The addition of cucamelons is pretty intriguing. Been wanting to try growing those for awhile now.

I would say cucamelons are certainly worth a try. Here in the UK, our weather is usually all over the place. I dropped three in a bed in the greenhouse, and they needed some training and goading as they do tend to take over. I also popped a few outside and they were much slower to gain yields off. But, the yields were/are massive. I've already harvested hundreds, and they're still going strong.The ones grown outside of the greenhouse are creating a staggered effect as I start to pick from them too. The only question is what to do with them. So far I'm doing alright. Loads shared, blended etc... Push come to shove, I can always get wasted on gin & tonics. Not a problem. :)

salsalady said:
You can take the frozen stuff, defrost and dehydrate. Im with you and a lot of others about not wanting to waste anything. Dried flakes or ground, also add other spices to the dry blend for even more options.

Have fun!
SL
Wow, It didn't occur to me to dehydrate the pulp. I'm thinking spread it as thin as possible on something like greeseproof paper and set it off at a high temperature? 

The Hot Pepper said:
Sounds great but I'm really disappointed. You did not grow your own brown sugar.
Haha. Yeah, that's just plane lazy on my part. :D

But honestly, my apologies. It was my first real post trying to give back and share my excitement. Haha... I got locked into what was home grown. But hey, it's kinda cute... right? First date etc... ? No? :(

I'm going for a second attempt tomorrow (hotter), and I want to just pick whatever peppers I have at hand, and then grill and smoke them. Gotta use up the tomatillos and cucamelons, but thinking about more honey, garlic  and... cumin? I'm not sure. I'll post the whatever happens. :)

Regards

Back