• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

A new season

Finally back from all the xmas madness. Hope everyone had a good holiday!!

About a week into germination with no sprouts yet, which isn't a complete shock. I returned the Sylvan spot gro lights and replaced them with fluorescent. Much happier with the quality of light, and my girlfriend is off my back about burning the house down :)

After reading a bunch of post, it seems as though 70-75 is where the temp should be for Chinese. It has been around -10 at night for the past few weeks here, so even with the heat on it gets a little cold at nigh, leaving the grow area at around 60.

I bought a clear plastic tote from Wal mert and put it over the top to help with the moisture and temp issues. I have been leaving just one of the fluros on, and so far the temps are consistent at around 72 now.

Thanks for the tips and suggestions! Here are some pics of the new set up:

hpim1105.jpg

Still nothing
hpim1107j.jpg

Went to the bank and they had free keychain thermometers !!!
thermometer.jpg

Pepperfreak, I do the same process for starting seeds, shop lights are just fine with some extra chain so you can raise or lower the lights as needed. I use the 72 pot trays also on shelves. Hey it's better to use what is available than going all high tech. Those pepper seeds just want to grow, they don't care about fancy.

pepperfever said:
...Hey it's better to use what is available than going all high tech. Those pepper seeds just want to grow, they don't care about fancy.

That has been my moto so far and it seems to work well for me.
Keep it Simple. ;)

Week 2 update:

Finally have sprouts!! The red 7 pot came up in around 12 days. The only type that did not come up thus far is the Dorset Naga's, which I'm pretty bummed about because I was looking forward to them the most. If nothing else comes up, I would consider this germination batch a marginal fail on my behalf lol. 7 out of 18 is not quite what I was hoping for. I will never use Jiffy pots again, I just couldn't maintain a consistent moisture.

Here are some pics of the sprouts:

hpim1160.jpg

hpim1156n.jpg

hpim1158.jpg

hpim1159j.jpg

Don't worry about the nagas yet, if you are lucky they'll pop by three weeks but don't be surprised if they go over five weeks.

My Bihs have been in the mini greenhouse at 30c for a solid month now with only 2 sprouts. My Nagas were difficult as well. For some reason my Bhuts have come up much faster and grow faster and stronger. That's just the ways things work sometimes.

dammit!
so jiffy pots are crap? just my luck i've got several filled with compost & perlite & ready to go after sowing lotsa seeds & failing to get one solitary seedling survive.should've seen the light!
guess it's back to plastic pots then....
thanks for the heads-up folks.

Hi cherry bomb. Try cutting the bottoms out if you want to use them. They gave me good results till my plants became root bound last year.

Jiffys(peat) have improper pH and straight peat tends to either dry out quick or stay too wet, its hard to keep a balance. Although I did use jiffy pots and pellets for many years, I now find it much better growing peppers in cells or small pots with a good loose soiless, pH'd mix(usually peat based but ammended for the mentioned problems).
With the peat pots, the roots grow into them but have a hard time growing through which usually slows down growth big time

Back