• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

A pepper tree

I am looking for a productive strain similar to Nigel. I've never grown a Naga before, and with the various strains developed, I am beginning to find myself lost. Please help me discover a productive pepper plant (doesn't have to be Naga)!

Does it have to be a super ? My Lemon Drops produce damn near forests. Brazilian Starfish as well. But those are Bacatuums and only produce one pod per node.

Chinense can have multiple pod per node though. Every type of Bhut/Naga I ve ever grown has as well if it needs to be near super levels. Couple buddie stell me the CARDI scorpions are really good producers.

Really though, container size and nutrients will determine the size and production  of your "tree". Bigger container/ground bigger root mass. Bigger root mass better water and nutrient absorbtion. Better absorbtion will lead to size and yield.

sirex said:

Really though, container size and nutrients will determine the size and production  of your "tree". Bigger container/ground bigger root mass. Bigger root mass better water and nutrient absorbtion. Better absorbtion will lead to size and yield.

These 4 sentences need to receive an award. A gift card, a weeks vacation with pay, an ice cream cake.
Well said Sirex.

sirex said:
Does it have to be a super ? My Lemon Drops produce damn near forests. 

Lemon drops are crazy prolific producers, get absolutely huge given a a large enough container & keep on producing right through the middle of Texas 100+ degree summer. One of my favorite peppers. They don't really grow "tree like" like chinenses though. 

My Brasileiro Tres Lobos grew rather tree-like. I've seen Birgit's Locoto in big pots get monstrous. Then there is the Habanero Del Arbol aka 'Habanero Tree'.

sirex said:

Chinense can have multiple pod per node though. Every type of Bhut/Naga I ve ever grown has as well if it needs to be near super levels. Couple buddie stell me the CARDI scorpions are really good producers.

+1 All things being equal, CARDIs are super productive. And, yes, giving your plant lots of room (above and below ground) will always lead to more pods.

can go bansai style and grow one the small wild types. Cumari do para, wild brazil, any one of the CGN small chilis. 

I believe nigel has a rather large wild brazil "tree" going. 

Definitely have the space part worked out, just focusing on choosing the right strain! Thank you for the replies. I think I'm going with Naga, I see different strains of it but I guess just "Naga morich" unless you guys recommend a different type. Is Judy still active? That's where I'm planning on buying!

Back