• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

baking A Pizza-Making Pictorial

As promised, here are the pictures of my latest obsession:

Pressing out the dough:
fbkyon.jpg

Low-moisture part skim mozzarella just grated:
2jbumgk.jpg

After hand tossing and on the peel, ready for topping:
2mqu7hv.jpg

Sauce:
spx64k.jpg

Cheese:
2rwlssw.jpg

Pepperoni on half for my wife because I don't eat much meat these days:
2z3x89d.jpg

Fresh from the oven:
2dv2wk3.jpg

Dinner is served:
2ik3zf4.jpg

I had to perfect my base. The best base pizza makes the best topped pizza! I will begin to experiment soon.

Looks like you really know how to make good pizza Steve.

I recently posted something similar here
that has detailed instructions for making dough.

GOod to see you didn't make a 'cake'!

Simple toppings the best, or if lots of different ones, then using them sparsely

Looks quite tasty there Mr. Steve. I admire your determination to make the perfect pie.

I'm into a slightly sweet sauce ie., marinara. Anyone have a good recipe for that? When I make pizza I cheat and use Newman's Own sauce. I usually add a touch of basil and a shake or two of the favorite of the day hot powder.

I have another recent thread on here with a recipe. Try increasing the sugar in it, and you might be on the right track.

Steve973 said:
Mr. Hell:
Just curious if you were saying that your method created actual sourdough. It was my understanding that sourdough required lactobacillus. I may combine your method with my recipe, though, and give it a try.

Nah, it's sort of a cheat; a dash of vinegar mimics the sourdough flavor but it's not a true Levain. That requires keeping and feeding a "mother" which has to be done everyday.

My larger point is that the longer the sponge and dough ferments the better the dough will taste. To me, good pizza is all about how good the crust is.

I see. Personally, I let my dough rise in the fridge for 24 hours. I agree that the dough tastes better that way. I even think that it is more manageable when it has developed for that amount of time.

Yeah, I think 24 hour retarded dough is the commercial standard. Unfortunately I seldom think that far in advance!

Steve, ever try that "00" flour? Makes real crispy dough.

texas blues said:
Well done Steve. Cheezy, oozy, goozy, but.....where 'da hotness at?

Im thinking the same - but it does looks yummy! I prefer lots of toppings i like how your browned the cheese. :drooling:

chuk hell said:
Steve, ever try that "00" flour? Makes real crispy dough.

Hophead said:
I prefer lots of toppings

I've mostly been trying to reproduce the style of pizza that I grew up with. It's not super crispy and there are never piles and piles of toppings on it. I like a crust that has some of those uneven brown areas, and one that has some decent chewiness. Sometimes the crust bubbles a bit and gets a little burned in those areas. I wanted it to be slightly more crispy on the bottom than what I was previously getting. If you have been to southeastern PA, you'll know what I mean. Have you noticed how it is very difficult to beat the type of pizza that you personally grew up with? I'll work on figuring out some toppings, but most likely it will be a veggie pizza. I tend to like artichoke, onions, and roasted red peppers. Olives are good but my wife doesn't care for them. I think that goat feta cheese crumbles would also be pretty awesome. Any other ideas?

goat cheese is awesome on pizza. I did a Hawaiian style pizza a while back with goat cheese. It was soooo good.

Steve973 said:
I have another recent thread on here with a recipe. Try increasing the sugar in it, and you might be on the right track.

Thanks Steve, sticking with simple usually works the best.

Back