• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

A salute goes out to Louie Zamperini

Just heard that Louie passed away this morning after losing a 40 day battle with pneumonia.
For those who don't know of his life story, it is quite moving and inspirational.
The use of the titles ..."survivor" and "hero" are quite common these days. Some deserving, others not quite so much IMO.     But this guy was the real thing.
I for one salute him and what he stood for, as I'm sure many fellow veterans do as well.

Thank you for your service Louie...
Be Hardy !!

Chili Monsta said:
Just heard that Louie passed away this morning after losing a 40 day battle with pneumonia.
For those who don't know of his life story, it is quite moving and inspirational.
The use of the titles ..."survivor" and "hero" are quite common these days. Some deserving, others not quite so much IMO.     But this guy was the real thing.
I for one salute him and what he stood for, as I'm sure many fellow veterans do as well.

Thank you for your service Louie...
Be Hardy !!

I agree incredible book, not many could have survived what he did.  Always thankful for our veterans.

I can't help but be saddened by  the loss of such an inspirational American serviceman on the eve of our independence day celebration.
A 1936  Olympian on the team with Jesse Owens, 47 days in a life boat in the south pacific,2 years of unimaginable torture as a Japanese POW, and still had the fortitude to rebound, get his life together and be an inspiration to his fellow man until giving it up to pneumonia at 97 .
For me.... tomorrow, my annual family reunion, as always, will be a day long remembrance,salute and tribute to our family members who have served our country in the armed forces and contributed to the freedoms that  we as Americans enjoy every day.
Louie Zamperini will now be among our prayers, memories and tributes.

Back