• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

pests Aaaaah! These @#$%#&!!@! bugs are BACK!

imaguitargod said:
BTW, you have a lady bug larvee in the pic you posted (it's the big black thing).

That's just an Internet pic I found to show the type of bug that I see on my plants - although mine are pretty darn small.

I had the same problem and did good with neem oil. I also went out and snagged a few spiders that I found in a back shed. I found all types and just put them on the plants one by one. Some of them crawl away, but some make the peepers home and eat all those little things. I even found a bunch of small spiders on one plant! I know they are eating the bugs because when I look at them I see little white bugs instead of green ones on the leaves and in the webs.

LGHT said:
I had the same problem and did good with neem oil. I also went out and snagged a few spiders that I found in a back shed. I found all types and just put them on the plants one by one. Some of them crawl away, but some make the peepers home and eat all those little things. I even found a bunch of small spiders on one plant! I know they are eating the bugs because when I look at them I see little white bugs instead of green ones on the leaves and in the webs.

That's good by me- I keep the spiders around too when I can. There's a few black widows living in the underside of the top flange of some pots I have going in an out of the way place. Controls bugs and helps keep you on your toes.

bigt said:
You have to stay on top of them every day. I alternated between Neem & Safer Soap and eventually I got them all. It took a while, but you have to be more ruthless than they are.
x2

i have been known to take plants into the shower and soap em down. you can wash away the bugs pretty easily. i don't care for neem oil as it didn't do too much for me and i hate mixing stuff and the premixed is pricey. dish soap and veggie oil should work out okay. there's even stuff with capsaicin in a liquid wax base that's supposed to work. That's pricey as well though.

boutros said:
Pyrethrum is on a new ban? Canadian or US?

Apparently the ban is for all of Ontario, and it started April 22. I got this notice when I bought some pyrethum spray last week: "Attention: You have purchased a controlled sale pesticide. Certain uses of this pesticide to control weeds or insects outdoors, such as on your lawn or garden is prohibited. For more information, visit www.ontario.ca/pesticideban or call 1-800-565-4923 or 414-325-4000

Looked at the link a bit, didn't find what I was looking for yet- just wondering why pyretherin is considered harmful. I always thought it wasn't dangerous, or at least wasn't some kinda gnarley chemical given what it is derived from.

I here the problem with pyrethrums has to do with harming bees. You are still able to buy "house and garden" pesticide products but it has to say "house" somewhere in the wording:)

I wonder how spraying it on my pepper plants hurts bees. Maybe if they have lots of flowers.... That stuff comes from a flower though - daisies....

Seems to have killed the aphids this time. I have to keep an eye on them.

Just because it comes from a flower doesn't make it safe
Apparently pyrethrum is highly toxic to bees and some fish

http://www.nysaes.cornell.edu/pp/resourceguide/mfs/10pyrethrum.php
"Effect on the environment:
Leaf persistence. Pyrethrum is quickly degraded in sunlight (Casida and Quistad 1995).

Fate in water. Pyrethrum compounds are broken down in water to nontoxic products (Extoxnet 1994)

Soil persistence. Soil application studies of pyrethrum showed a half life of only 1-2 hours (Casida and Quistad 1995). When used indoors, pyrethrum can persist much longer; up to two months or more in carpet dust (Cox 2002).

Wildlife. Pyrethrum is extremely toxic to fish such as bluegill and lake trout, while it is slightly to moderately toxic to bird species, such as mallards and bobwhite quail. Natural pyrethrins are highly fat soluble, but are easily metabolized and thus do not accumulate in the body. Because pyrethrin-I and pyrethrin-II have multiple sites in their structures that can be readily attacked in biological systems, it is unlikely that they will concentrate in the food chain (Extoxnet 1994, Casida and Quistad 1995).

Effect on beneficial arthropods. Synthetic pyrethroids are broad spectrum insecticides and are notorious for killing and repelling beneficial arthropods. However, since pyrethrum residues on the plant break down quickly, the effect on natural enemies is reduced. Pyrethrum is highly toxic to bees. The average lethal dose (LD50) for honeybees was measured at .022 micrograms per bee (Casida and Quistad 1995). Direct hits on honeybees and beneficial wasps are likely to be lethal (Cox 2002)."

Okay, but we spray them on the plants, and they degrade quickly. Who is going to spray directly on a bee? Sounds like more "nanny state" stuff to me. I hope they don't follow Canada and make it illegal in the States. This isn't something that everyone uses, and the average person using it on their garden plants isn't going to cause en environmental catastrophe. ;-)

Thanks for the info though. I knew it was toxic to some fish.

I've been checking them constantly. I noticed an aphid, once again in the seed tray habs. I squished him and outside they went to get sprayed with the Pyrethrin again. (wife won't let me do it in the house, and to get them good i really have to spray them heavy)

This must be what happened. I'd kill most of em and an egg or something hatches and it starts all over. Maybe being alert and followup spraying will finally rid me of these pests.

The pesticide ban here does not apply to people licensed to spray and is probably a step in the right direction since most homeowners have no idea of toxicity issues with bees, beneficial insects, birds, and fish. I bet most people would not worry about spraying bees or plants with frequent bee activity and the fact that pyrethrum breaks down quickly only reduced the effects but does not eliminate them.
I believe that if you don't treat your soil along with your plant, the aphids will always keep coming back quickly

Back