• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

AACT, what you might want to read first.

My original thought was to look into the risk of making aact in regards to ecoli and salmonella. This thought turned out to be, from my findings online from reputable sources, true. There is especially a highly increased risk it appears when you use molasses.

my next thought was to weight out the benefits of using AACT and compare them with the risks. I can get past the salmonella and ecoli, there are ways to mitigate this risk. There are however a lot of skeptics to any actual benefit to AACT. The intrinsic benefits of the mykos, poo, and whatever else you brew with would be just as effective without brewing it with molasses and have less risk.

There are 2-3 reports from the USDA and local horticulture extension programs showing that AACT has little to no effect on plant disease resistance in an actual field or garden setting. these studys also show that the presence of beneficial bacteria do not "kill off" or effect the presence of bad microbes. both of these claims are listed as a benefit in the beginners guide to AACT and should IMO be corrected.

http://thehotpepper....actcompost-tea/

its misleading and against the grain of published literature.

The USDA paper is pretty clear http://www.horticult...oli and Sam.pdf
  • AACT is good for plants
  • molasses above 0.2% promotes significant regrowth of salmonella and e. coli
  • human pathogens die quickly after application to most plants but can persist on some leafy vegetables (lettuce, cilantro, ...)
  • chicken manure has lots of salmonella in it!
So, apply tea, but lay off when it gets close to harvest, and never ever spray it on your lettuce. My first batch brewing now has a lot of molasses (>1%) so I'll be using that primarily as a drench and spraying only plants with no fruit. Batch 2 will be made with only compost and green vegetable matter.

Question. I'm at the end of making my first batch of Compost/Manure tea. With the following...

10 cups of Steer Manure mixed with Compost (HomeDepot)
4 cups of Chicken Manure (Lowes) http://tinyurl.com/d23g59f
2 cups of Worm Castings.

Do you really have to worry about E. Coli and Salmonella from commercially bagged products? I know there is always a slight chance for that kind of thing. But, do most compost it, clean it, whatever to make sure that stuff isn't in there? If it is composted and organic, it should be fine, correct?

Oh, and this is going to be applied to the roots NOT the leaves.

If you doubt it, don't do it... I have seen the results first hand. The USDA could have a press release telling me that it is all a sham. I'd laugh and walk away. Go read the stickied thread on AACT and stop trolling on it. We get it, you are afraid to use it and you think it doesn't work. No biggy just don't use it and move on.

If you are trying to discredit AACT, a good start would be trying it first :rolleyes:

P.S.
Try studies from Universities.

The USDA is too financially and politically bias to be a reputable source of info. Most agricultural laws are written to benefit companies like Monsanto. Start looking at the amount of government officials whom have been employed by Monsanto and you will start to understand.

Click here to see who is making the agricultural laws

I think, like you guys said, you've seen the results vs. not using it....that kind of speaks for itself. Also, from what I understand, the articles out there against it appear to be targeting the disease fighting claims about it..not the growth. However, I may be wrong...I'm a complete newb with all of this tea stuff. :)

If you doubt it, don't do it... I have seen the results first hand. The USDA could have a press release telling me that it is all a sham. I'd laugh and walk away. Go read the stickied thread on AACT and stop trolling on it. We get it, you are afraid to use it and you think it doesn't work. No biggy just don't use it and move on.

If you are trying to discredit AACT, a good start would be trying it first :rolleyes:

P.S.
Try studies from Universities.

The USDA is too financially and politically bias to be a reputable source of info. Most agricultural laws are written to benefit companies like Monsanto. Start looking at the amount of government officials whom have been employed by Monsanto and you will start to understand.

Click here to see who is making the agricultural laws

+1... If AACT is so harmful I guess the majority of us organic guys should be counting our last days. I have 6 chickens which poop in my yard and wow my grass is crazy green! I also put their poop in my compost pile and my compost pile feeds my veggies.

I know enough about science to grok what a membrane is ... what you put in and around a plant is definitely not necessarily going to end up inside it.

Fruiting plants are EXPERT at walling off intruders - not just keeping them from their fruit altogether, but furthermore keeping them from moving between the fruit's cells themselves ...

It's interesting and worth people being aware of the possibility though, certainly ...

Also, I have to add this ... saying one population of critters doesn't affect another is ridiculous ... if you tilt the environment in favor of one organism, it will typically outcompete another for what amounts to finite resources in most cases and snuff it out ... this is why it's import to finish the course when you are given penicillin antibiotics ... see what a super-infection is for more information ...

I made tea twice last year after chemicals were USELESS in the face of bacterial leaf spot that spread like a wildfire down the line of my plants from the wind-driven rain from tropical storm debbie ... copper wasn't effective in the least ... two foliar applications of AACT and my plants turned a much healthier looking green and the leaves because thicker and waxier looking, and it wasn't subtle ...

I'll have to do some poking around in pubmed and the likes, but I'm not deterred beyond perhaps being more careful about my orifices etc when I work w/ it ...

Make your own compost with yard trimmings, leaves and table scraps and stop worrying about what manure may or may not contain.
The whole purpose of AACT is to get the food web healthy so why introduce variables like manure that are questionable?
I think people are taking the simple process of making AACT and trying to make it into some super duper fertilizer/snake oil that makes all things grow the size of Sequoias.
I think the old KISS method is all you need and many here have shown that to be true from last year's grow.
I used Spray-N-Grow one year and tried other fertilizers like Big Bloom, Big Grow, and Tiger Bloom and yet none of them did anything better than AACT made from my own compost pile, some molasses and a cheap air pump setup from Walmart. If it isn't broke it doesn't need fixing!

Back