• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting About to start first fermentation, opinions on pepper mix

Sitting before me I have a pound of habs, pound of jalapenos, and a pound of red fresnos. I'm considering a few options, one being to put them all together. Or, I might do three small batches, one of each. Or any combination of the three. Habs are my favorite of the three by far. I do like the flavor of the jalapeno and fresno peppers a lot but the heat I'm after just isn't there. I wouldn't be opposed to having a separate, milder sauce for my friends to try. I wonder if fermenting them all separately and then blending afterwards to make the flavor would be the way to go. I'd definitely appreciate any thoughts, ideas, or suggestions you all have on this!

I have fermented separately and then combined but if you are planning that I would just process, and ferment that all together.

I like a pure hab, or fatalli, or Datil sauce, but adding other peppers altho not adding much heat will still add different levels of flavor and complexity.

What else are you going to ferment with the peppers?

LOL... you been reading MY recipes?! ;)

I have been known to use a 50/50 ratio of peppers and garlic, then carrot, and MAYBE and apple!

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/33918-this-isnt-even-edible/#entry689726

After fermentation you really don't have any apple "flavor" per se'. (unless you use a LOT)

I just mince one or two and allow the sugars in the apple to assist the fermentation process.

Just like Sour Kraut doesn't really taste like cabbage.

The lime goes in AFTER as an acidifier with flavor :)

+1 on the apple, or any natural sugar. Its like food for the bacteria. Does not (maybe slightly) add flavor to the mash. Maybe depending on the length of time you ferment.
I use honey and I've used natural( or raw ) sugar in my beer. Its just another fermentable to help things along.

Back