• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

cooking Add mango cook or raw ?

I just made a batch of hot sauce. 20 of the meanest Habaneros I ever dunn growded.67 Fairlane red( not orange).
1/2 a small onion. 3 packets of Stevia.
This crap is LAVA. Tasy but.DAAAAAAAMN. Can I add pureed mango ? Do I need to cook-carmelize it first ?
 I generally add carrot to my sauces but I find that after 6-8 weeks the sauce goes watery.
 What sayeth ye HotHedzz  ? Other ideas ???

If in the fridge you can add it however you want. Just like a mango salsa. Add beans later, whatever. Or do you mean re-canning for shelf stability? 

The Hot Pepper said:
If in the fridge you can add it however you want. Just like a mango salsa. Add beans later, whatever. Or do you mean re-canning for shelf stability? 
No It'll be in the fridge but I think mango to tone down the heat a little and thicken it up a bit.
 Whaddya thunk ? Cook the mango or blend it in raw ?

portreath said:
I make a hot and sweet sauce which I use mango for the sweet flavor. I always cook down the mango with the onions & toms etc. Only downside of using mango are the dam fibers that can look like human hair. I'd be happy to share my recipe.
Have you tried a kitchen mill to see if it removes them?

I have a ninja blender and have no problem with mangos. It all liquefies when it get blended. And I know some of you have nicer blenders than I have for making a sauce. 

I generally add carrot to my sauces but I find that after 6-8 weeks the sauce goes watery.

I generally use sweet potatoes and apple in my sauces. The sweet potato seems to work much better for me than carrots, the apple gives a little flavor and has natural pectin to help thicken the sauce a little........just another option.

Back