• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Added 15,600 lumens of 2700K light

AlabamaJack

eXtreme
I have been thinking of what I could do to encourage my contest Nagas to perform better and get some peppers going...I decided to add 15,600 lumens of 2700K light to them. I took a 3 foot long, 6 bulb vanity fixture and put 6 42 watt (150W equivalent) bulbs in it and mounted it in the box. Each bulb puts out 2600 lumens...I still have room in my grow box for two more of these fixtures and may add another one just like this one and one with mid scale kelvin rated bulbs...

I am now at about 40K lumens in my 4X4 area....

top picture is grow box without the new lights on and bottom is with the new lights on...

modifiedwe2.jpg

You sure can see the different spectrum, but aren't you about to get all your plants outside in the next week or two. I have been hardening off my plants any chance I get as of late and they have really started to grow much taller now. You could of just put you nagas out in the sun during the day and back in your box at night. BTW, I think your nagas look ready to start fruiting as soon as they get outside under the big light in the sky. Good luck with the contest, lord know you have done everything to give them a chance to be first.;)

have they flowered yet? i can't quite tell from the picture...

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
You sure can see the different spectrum

i can never see the difference. my sister always used to complain to me cuz i bought cool white instead of warm white and she said it was 'too white'...

AJ,

I like! though I usually space the lights a little further apart, about 12 inches. That's about all I be using next year. Unless you report simply outstanding results with the 150 watt equivalent bulbs, I'll use the 23 watt (100 equiv. with 1660 lumens) and one bulb per square foot of space. But I will have deflectors all around the lights.

One thing I have noticed - these lights put off more heat than regular flouros do - I try to keep them at least 1/2 inch above the plants.

Too late for me to get into the pepper contest, but I'm ready for a local tomato one. My best plant is two-foot tall and I can't move it outside for close to two more months. I suspect it will have to stay indoors as I have no intention of carrying a four-foot or higher plant down across the room and down a flight of steps, especially if it is laden with tomatoes!

Mike

GrumpyBear said:
very pretty planties. i should start reading that contest thread, but it's so very long...

Thanks GB...the picture on top is without the "red" 2700k bulbs and the one on the bottom is with the red spectrum...no different camera settings...just off and on...

Pepper Ridge Farm said:
You sure can see the different spectrum, but aren't you about to get all your plants outside in the next week or two. I have been hardening off my plants any chance I get as of late and they have really started to grow much taller now. You could of just put you nagas out in the sun during the day and back in your box at night. BTW, I think your nagas look ready to start fruiting as soon as they get outside under the big light in the sky. Good luck with the contest, lord know you have done everything to give them a chance to be first.;)

I am getting ready to set them outside. But, I have already started preparing for moving them inside after growing season is over. I will overwinter my plants in here.

Sanj said:
Very nice AJ.
Nice Setup.
Make sure you wear sun glasses when you go inside your grow room :cool:

Thanks Sanj...definitely need the sunglasses...

GrumpyBear said:
have they flowered yet? i can't quite tell from the picture...

They were flowering but the hardening process seems to have stopped them for now....

wordwiz said:
AJ,
I like! though I usually space the lights a little further apart, about 12 inches. That's about all I be using next year. Unless you report simply outstanding results with the 150 watt equivalent bulbs, I'll use the 23 watt (100 equiv. with 1660 lumens) and one bulb per square foot of space. But I will have deflectors all around the lights.

One thing I have noticed - these lights put off more heat than regular flouros do - I try to keep them at least 1/2 inch above the plants.

I have no intention of carrying a four-foot or higher plant down across the room and down a flight of steps, especially if it is laden with tomatoes!

Mike

Understand Mike...I wanted to have enough light to produce peppers and not just grow the plants...I will need to unscrew half the bulbs because as you say...they produce a lot of heat...won't need the heating bulbs in the box anymore...

I would like to be a fly on the wall and watch you cary a 4' tomato plant laden with tomatoes down a flight of steps...now that would be funny...

AJ,
I would like to be a fly on the wall and watch you cary a 4' tomato plant laden with tomatoes down a flight of steps...now that would be funny...
It would also likely produce a bunch of tomato sauce, intermixed with dirt, leaves and other stuff!

Mike

AJ, looking fantastic! I see...Are you trying to produce peppers year round?

By the way, I'm glad things went well at the dentist...lol...Did they let you out of there without resceduling?..LOL...Watch your back...Hehehe...They are all sadistic, its part of their curriculum. :lol:

*No offense meant if there are any dentists amoung us*

Yes, that is the goal...I am trying to reproduce a "Trinidad" environment..about 83-84 degrees in the daytime and 72-73 at night with a high humidity level...

whether it works or not is still out for judgement...

I really need a soil sample for testing to build my soil

AlabamaJack said:
Yes, that is the goal...I am trying to reproduce a "Trinidad" environment..about 83-84 degrees in the daytime and 72-73 at night with a high humidity level...

whether it works or not is still out for judgement...

I really need a soil sample for testing to build my soil

No, what you need is to get your OCD treated!

C'mon, sit down, man, have a beer, and quit making the rest of us look so bad!

WOW Those guys and gals are looking good AJ. I been doing a lil more fertilizing now since spring is coming on and got me a fan out of a water cooler blowing on them for about 15 minutes a day so I am right behind ya. But looking good!!

And what is a OCD?

Pepperfreak said:
OCD...???...Personally, without it I would probably be a big 'ol' lazy slob...:lol:

Exactly!

Now sit down and put your feet up. Learn to enjoy it, like the rest of us lazy slobs.

getting the old aches and pains worked out this morning...have to do something before I go play a gig this afternoon...will talk pics for flat this afternoon in the "Historic Fort Worth Stockyards"...

***what to do, what to do...can't transplant any seedlings 'cause I am outta room...build a new grow area so I can have more room?...water?, nope, watered day before yesterday...plant some seeds....YES!!!!...will start another tray of seeds...***

AlabamaJack said:
***what to do, what to do...can't transplant any seedlings 'cause I am outta room...build a new grow area so I can have more room?...water?, nope, watered day before yesterday...plant some seeds....YES!!!!...will start another tray of seeds...***

you make me look downright calm...

Hey AJ,

Have you used a light meter to see what kind of Lux you are getting. I would think very high but a guy was telling me how it is hard to approach natural sunlight (about 100,000 lux on a very sunny day)using artificial light. But then you are using 2700K lights that have close to 100% PAR value and sunlight does not approach that, at least for all plants.

So much stuff to learn so little time to do it.

Mike

Back