• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Added 15,600 lumens of 2700K light

Omri said:
Measuring PAR is mostly BS. MOSTLY, because there's no distinction of the different wavelengths. different wavelengths play different parts.

The fact is, there's nothing to prove. plants need certain wavelengths to grow, and we need enough luminous intensity so they'll get them. giving them too much of the wrong or even not efficient ones, won't do any help.

Not saying your plants won't grow, just that you're not focusing on the right thing. you do well, but you can do better.
And what I'm saying is that my plants are getting 7700
Lux of light they use for photosynthesis. That's more than the 1660 Lux they were getting from the 13 watt, 5000K bulbs I was using.

Mike

wordwiz said:
And what I'm saying is that my plants are getting 7700
Lux of light they use for photosynthesis. That's more than the 1660 Lux they were getting from the 13 watt, 5000K bulbs I was using.

Mike
And what I'm saying is not all wavelengths used in photosynthesis are actually important.

Photosynthetic range:
activity.gif

As you can seem, some wavelengths are more critical for healthy photosynthetic activity. measuring PAR is mostly bullshit because... "there's no distinction of the different wavelengths". You have no idea what each bulb produces, so the "testing" is pretty much useless. liked the idea, though.
If you want to do such a test, first you need to know what they're getting.

Omri said:
And what I'm saying is not all wavelengths used in photosynthesis are actually important.

Photosynthetic range:
activity.gif

As you can seem, some wavelengths are more critical for healthy photosynthetic activity. measuring PAR is mostly bullshit because... "there's no distinction of the different wavelengths". You have no idea what each bulb produces, so the "testing" is pretty much useless. liked the idea, though.
If you want to do such a test, first you need to know what they're getting.

Right :think:, don't we already know this? The range of blue light (i.e. Mh bulb) is used for pre flowering period and the range of red light (i.e. HPS bulb) is used for the flowering period

DrHavanger said:
Right :think:, don't we already know this? The range of blue light (i.e. Mh bulb) is used for pre flowering period and the range of red light (i.e. HPS bulb) is used for the flowering period
Actually no. both bulbs produce light from the red AND blue end of the spectrum. the difference is how much of each.
All usable wavelengths produce energy, there's no difference there. BUT, different wavelengths encourage different uses of the same energy.
This is usually due to the different color of light in different seasons. a sort of mechanism telling the plant what it needs to do.
It doesn't mean seedlings don't use the red end, and flowering plants don't use the blue end.
At the end of the day raw energy is important and a more "complete" spectrum is better.

NatGreenMeds said:
I must be missing something...If I have the lumens per/sq meter, then why would I need a calculator to tell me the lux is virtually the same number?
Lux: A photometric unit of illuminance or illumination equal to one lumen per square meter.

Mike

Great topic, I actually found it while searching Google for the benefits of using 2700K CoolWhite CFL bulbs. Crazy I dredged up a 4-year old article. Thanks to all you guys who provided this good info. Since I implemented my 2700K 4-bulb fixture a couple of days ago, the leaves look a richer shade of green, glossier, and the plants are growing a little bit faster, but without legginess. Thanks again, and THP.com is arguably my favorite site ever!

Back