• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

advanced growing

What is the most advanced way of growing peppers? I'm talking about the most expensive, high tech, and coolest way of growing. I'm not going to try this just interested in it.

millworkman said:
In dirt under the sun :)

Probably one of those crazy aeroponic wheel thingys with a few thousand watts of induction lighting.
Pic perhaps? I tried an image search with those terms and found nothing.

millworkman said:
Look up rotating hydroponics.

Lol, I did just that, it looks like fix to a none existant problem, nothing a light mover could not do, without the risk of gravity dropping your plants or fruit

I think the most impressive, highly integrated system would be aquaponics but that's basing it on which is the most sustainable and productive with the lowest inputs.  Feed the fish waste greens, fish waste feeds the plants keeping them healthy, plants purify the water and keep the fish healthy, we get to harvest both to keep us happy.  Especially in dense urban areas, we need to find more ways to produce lots of food with little resources.  If we can cut down on the oil need to make fertilizers, but more importantly to ship everything around (ferts to farm, produce to distributor, distributor to market) and instead have localized greenhouses producing the needs of the neighbourhood it becomes a much more resilient system.
pepperdan said:
 Lol, I did just that, it looks like fix to a none existant problem, nothing a light mover could not do, without the risk of gravity dropping your plants or fruit
They increase yields by increase the growing area by wrapping it around the light, increasing the square footage.  Before this was vertical gardens, same idea but less efficient.  By rotating the growing bed, it's a very low energy way of watering (dips into a tray at the bottom) as well as moving the plants to make them more resilient.  It's well shown that properly managed they definitely increase yields, by over 50% in some cases.  I've never heard of anything dropping out, the problem is it's almost impossible to check the plants in the middle, so if there's any fungi/mold/pest problems it can get out of control before you knew it existed.

Buying a nice house and plot on Trinidad or Tobago would be my guess.

As for most exotic, I would peruse forums dedicated to a "cash crop" for wild and crazy setups that work as well for peppers as they do for-----other things. ;)

Not especially advanced by some standards but expensive-
Use gold and silver pots.
Use bottled water collected from ice bergs to water the plants.
Fertilize with endangered species manure.(as a tea,soil drench and foliar feed.)

Use a gazillion 5mm LEDS for lighting in your Union made greenhouse that is made out of all precious metals...
Hire a bunch of Union workers to tend them (4 per plant,1 to do the work,3 to supervise,as per Union rules...).

Since music is supposed to stimulate plants,play the appropriate music on a high end sound system in your garden.
While you are at it use stripper poles for plant supports with Union strippers to keep the Union supervisors occupied.
Hire an iron chef to cook the pods on the TV show and get/pay DR.OZ to push the healthy properties of using super hots as a colon cleans/Enema on his show.
That would pretty much cover it.

@Monkey Hunter, you skipped a couple steps in aquaponics. The plant waste and also fish offal get fed to black soldier flies, or some other insect. You feed the high protein and fat insect larva to the fish. Fish waste and bug waste fertilize the plants. A simple concept that tries to miniaturize nature's closed loop cycle, but in practice it is pretty tricky to keep everything balanced. 

Thanks for filling that in Pepperwhisperer, I haven't looked into it all that much and have seen a couple different ways of filterin everything through.  I do laugh at all  the people  jumping on the trend expecting great results without knowing anything.  A co-worker who's setting one up made the comment "I'm not worried about the plants, they'll be fine as long as I keep the fish healthy"...

I just smiled and nodded as there isn't much else you can say.

I just smiled and nodded as there isn't much else you can say.
True dat. I wish him lots of luck, but if he has never farmed fish or never done hydroponic growing, he is in for some extreme learning. This isn't a zero-input system, since you are constantly extracting product. The write up I saw was using Tilapia because they were tolerant of the low O2 environment in the hydroponic water. Keeping all the parameters balanced has to be tough. The extreme setup only makes sense if there is a severe space constraint. I would expect higher yields from separate hydroponic and fish ponds, but still recycling all the nutrients.

Then again, what do I know? If he gets it running and starts making money hand over fist give me a ring  :P

Back