• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Advice for superhot noob

Hi all. I'm interested in getting into growing some superhot varieties next season, and was wondering if anyone has some advice for a superhot beginner? I've never tried any superhots, but am planning on buying some pods soon to try out. I'll be using them mainly for sauces, and possibly some powder if I have a productive season. Any info to help a beginner is appreciated.

You're gonna have to be patient. Lol.. They take at least six months to grow and produce ripe fruit. I have plants i started in January that still don't have ripe pods. Also if you buy a box and plan to use the seeds go for it. Just remember they cross pollinate easily and may not grow true. Not that there's anything wrong with that because you might get some neat varieties next year.

Take the time to search the growing forum for specific aspects of growing from seeds. Also, check out all the glogs some of the members have graciously posted. I've always found great ideas and advice there. And be patient. Good luck!

MeatHead1313 said:
Hi all. I'm interested in getting into growing some superhot varieties next season, and was wondering if anyone has some advice for a superhot beginner? I've never tried any superhots, but am planning on buying some pods soon to try out. I'll be using them mainly for sauces, and possibly some powder if I have a productive season. Any info to help a beginner is appreciated.
Just go for it!

Tons on info on this site, so have a good look around and ask questions. The people on here are great and always willing to help.

Thanks for the info guys. Another couple questions. For a first time superhot grow, would I be better off starting from seed or buying seedlings? And what would be the best varieties to grow for sauces? I'll be growing them along with more of what I have this year (habs,cayenne,jalapeno's and bells).

If you are growing for sauces look for productive varieties and it depends I believe seed is cheaper and a lot more rewarding

I suggest starting off growing naga morches or bih jolokias and a 7 pot. All of these are very prolific and tasty imo. Bih jolokias are small, so they might be good to start off with. The superhots are nuclear.

Thanks for all the info! I should have added the sauces are just for me and my wife, so won't be needing too many plants of each variety.

seinfeld.jpg
...not that there's anything wrong with that...lol.

I started my plants from seed beginning of June and the scorpions and some others are already making buds. Give it a shot!

MeatHead1313 said:
Thanks for the info guys. Another couple questions. For a first time superhot grow, would I be better off starting from seed or buying seedlings? And what would be the best varieties to grow for sauces? I'll be growing them along with more of what I have this year (habs,cayenne,jalapeno's and bells).

i'd say, go out and buy a box of superhots from one of the dealers here on THP... then you will exactly know what to expect, what you like (or not)  and can keep the seeds for next year - and the guys will make a buck or two... win-win-win :D

cheers, Al
MeatHead1313 said:
Thanks for all the info! I should have added the sauces are just for me and my wife, so won't be needing too many plants of each variety.

superhots go a long way in sauces ... (you dont need 25 to spice things up ... normally 1 will do :D)

also, keep in mind that there are quite a few extremely popular peppers (fatalii, scotch bonnets, come to mind) that aint superhots but will be a real asset to any sauce/salsa

cheers, Al

Al-from-Chile said:

i'd say, go out and buy a box of superhots from one of the dealers here on THP... then you will exactly know what to expect, what you like (or not)  and can keep the seeds for next year - and the guys will make a buck or two... win-win-win :D

cheers, Al

superhots go a long way in sauces ... (you dont need 25 to spice things up ... normally 1 will do :D)

also, keep in mind that there are quite a few extremely popular peppers (fatalii, scotch bonnets, come to mind) that aint superhots but will be a real asset to any sauce/salsa

cheers, Al

Yeah I'm definitely buying a box soon to give them a try beforehand. Can try some different varieties and see which I like most, and also see if I can even handle them lol. Not sure what my little house will look like with pepper plants everywhere out front in pots though. Thinking of also adding a birds eye and fatalli to the list as well.

You cannot go wrong with Fatalii. Superb pepper for flavour and they are pretty warm, too. A great smaller pepper of the birds eye type is the Donne sali. They are fantastic for flavour and quite hot for their size, too. I reviewed them recently and was extremely impressed. I have no doubt some of the member here would be able to sell or trade some seeds.

Back