• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

indoor Advice on growing indoors

I've got a couple of bhut jolokia plants that are full of flowers and the outdoor temps are dropping enough at night, into the mid 50's, and daylight is shortening that I don't expect them to fruit outside. Is it possible to bring them inside to finish them off? Certain lights necessary? Any other tips?

Thanks for the help folks.

patrick said:
I've got a couple of bhut jolokia plants that are full of flowers and the outdoor temps are dropping enough at night, into the mid 50's, and daylight is shortening that I don't expect them to fruit outside. Is it possible to bring them inside to finish them off? Certain lights necessary? Any other tips?

Thanks for the help folks.

Sure you can bring them inside. You will need lights, and the cost and choice of lights will depend on the space and money you have available.

I've gone all out in my garage, with a 1.2m square grow tent, with a MH (Metal Hallide - blue light for growth) and HPS (High Pressure Sodium - red light for flowering and fruiting) setup depending on the stage of growth of my plants. Despite having a fan in the tent to move air around, I found I had to hand pollinate the plants to get fruit, but others have reported success just with a fan blowing.

What kind of area are you looking to grow the plants in?

How far gone flowers,Pods if they have you should have enough time left of natural light to mature your pods..All depends how far into the growing cycle they are..South facing windows will be great :)

The plants have a few fruit, some turning red, others green. Many flowers and an abundance of pods that haven't flowered yet. Most of them I'm removing to facilitate the ripening process.

My plan was to put the two plants in the living room and set up a couple of florescent lights. Not a lot of natural sunlight I'm afraid.

Our average first freeze date is the first week of October, will this give the plants enough time to finish off the flowers? Is their a type of fertilizer that I can apply that will hasten the ripening process?

Thanks for the advice.

I dont think the Red light really causes any change in Flowering and Fruiting, thats for plants that flower and fruit at the end of the year and Peppers flower continuously all year.

The same reason the lower hours of sunlight cause some plants to flower and fruit, is meaningless to a tropical plant that blooms in waves all through it's life.

I have 2700K lights (red) and they dont set very well under them, I think a mix of the two (Red and Blue) is what they desire the most.

RichardK said:
I don't think the Red light really causes any change in Flowering and Fruiting, thats for plants that flower and fruit at the end of the year and Peppers flower continuously all year.

The same reason the lower hours of sunlight cause some plants to flower and fruit, is meaningless to a tropical plant that blooms in waves all through it's life.

I have 2700K lights (red) and they dont set very well under them, I think a mix of the two (Red and Blue) is what they desire the most.

Thats an excellent point richrad a combination of spectrum's gives the plants the nearest to a natural light Environment look at Omris page here...Lights

http://chilebase.com/

I gotta 24" tall jalapeno thats just in the window getting full sunlight about 8-10 hrs a day, and it's got lots of flowers and several fruits.

I live in an apt 3 floors up, so it's all indoors. I use broad-spectrum plant & aquarium floros in a standard 4' fixture for the rest of em and all seems well.

I only have a few plants (11 and counting) though. Vids link below has a vid of it all.

QuadShotz said:
I gotta 24" tall jalapeno thats just in the window getting full sunlight about 8-10 hrs a day, and it's got lots of flowers and several fruits.

I live in an apt 3 floors up, so it's all indoors. I use broad-spectrum plant & aquarium floros in a standard 4' fixture for the rest of em and all seems well.

I only have a few plants (11 and counting) though. Vids link below has a vid of it all.

Nice setup you have there Quad :rolleyes:

Have patience Patrick and wait as long as you can before bringing them in. Cover the plants if they forecast frost, use a light blanket. Peppers are sensitive to frost but if covered they can stand quite a bit. When it's too late to leave the plants outside bring them in and they should do fine. I think you'll be surprised by how much production you will get between now and then.

Jackie

Thanks for the advice folks.

Jackie I appreciate the advice from you and the little pep talk. That's just what the doctor ordered.:)

Just be prepared for insect infestation. Once you move them inside, you are depriving them of the natural enemies of mites, aphids, etc.

Mike

I guess I'm fortunate..because I haven't had any bug problems that weren't brought in with crappy soil or with bought nursery plants. :)

Back