• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Advice Please

Hello Folks.I started making my own hot sauce a few months back and really got into it.I want to start growing my own peppers but i never have tried to grow anything in my life before.I was wondering if this will work,i de-seeded a scotch bonnet,thai and jalapeno and put them in small containers and potting soil and have put then in my back garden.Is there any chance these peppers will grow?Thanks
Ronan

:welcome:
You might be better off moving them inside until they germinate. Ideally they should be kept around 85 degrees F while germinating. They don't need any light until they've sprouted. Keep them moist, keep your fingers crossed and you could be in luck.

:welcome: Ronan from Ontario

There is a chance they will sprout but seedlings that small will be highly susceptible to weather/insects. Your also in Canada like me and you wont have enough time to get them to harvest if they get that far. Your best bet is to start them in seedling trays indoors and grow a few inside to overwinter.
Good luck

There is a chance they will sprout but seedlings that small will be highly susceptible to weather/insects. Your also in Canada like me and you wont have enough time to get them to harvest if they get that far. Your best bet is to start them in seedling trays indoors and grow a few inside to overwinter.
Good luck

+1

:welcome:
You might be better off moving them inside until they germinate. Ideally they should be kept around 85 degrees F while germinating. They don't need any light until they've sprouted. Keep them moist, keep your fingers crossed and you could be in luck.
+1. You could also put some plastic wrap over the containers to help keep moist until they pop up. The warmer temp will really speed up the germination. Then maybe you could consider taking them outside in a protected shady spot if you don't have good inside lighting.

Enjoy the experiment... :cool:

:welcome: from Calgary.

i have several scotch bonnet plants that i grew from seed, bought them at a local store, save the seeds, then made my homemade sauce.

for even faster growth, use a homemade dwc system or aeroponic, plants grow like crazy.

i wouldn't bother with the thai or jalapeno seeds, you can buy the seeds packaged at your local nursery and will most likely be viable - scotch bonnet are a little harder to find.

good luck

Good luck

Thanks.As you know the weather here has been quite nice so a thought it might be better to leave them outside for the time being.If these dont work i will try again planting them indoors.Do you know where i can buy seeds?I tried my local walmart but they didnt have any,i dont have a car and am not the mobile.

+1. You could also put some plastic wrap over the containers to help keep moist until they pop up. The warmer temp will really speed up the germination. Then maybe you could consider taking them outside in a protected shady spot if you don't have good inside lighting.

Enjoy the experiment... :cool:
Thanks very much for your advice.I hope they grow as the idea of having my own fresh peppers for my sauces is exciting,but if the dont i will try and find seeds somewhere and try again.

:welcome: from Calgary.

i have several scotch bonnet plants that i grew from seed, bought them at a local store, save the seeds, then made my homemade sauce.

for even faster growth, use a homemade dwc system or aeroponic, plants grow like crazy.

i wouldn't bother with the thai or jalapeno seeds, you can buy the seeds packaged at your local nursery and will most likely be viable - scotch bonnet are a little harder to find.

good luck
As i said im new to all this,i dont even know where my local nursery is.The only place in walking distance to me is walmart and they didnt have any.Thanks for your help.

Back