• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Aerogarden users I need adviice/suggestions.

Ok so I found a super clean and cheap Aerogarden on Craigslist, and it needs bulbs, and I need the sponges and the basket to hold the sponge.

Where do you guys source your replacement parts or know what to use instead of the original parts? Thank you.

, Walter

I haven't had to replace anything yet but i've seen people use just regular sponges for replacement ones. The bulbs you can get off of E-bay. Baskets the same way. I don't know how to make the baskets home made but others might. I know KiNG DeNNiZ does alot of aerogardens and has helped me greatly with mine.

Angie

I just came across an AeroGarden at a garage sale a few days ago.  I had never heard of it until then, but got it for $5 with the two lights.  I have done some research on the net about these units and they look legit.  I would just like to know if anyone on here has used one, or anything similar to that system, for peppers and if they are only good for germination or the entire process.  TIA.     

ebay or from aerogarden.
Lots of alternatives---like sponges or nylons cut and shaped and filled with peat or the like.
But why mess with something that works so well.
Set of lights will run 30 to 60, depending on model, 16 for 50 baskets, 15 for 50 sponges. (From the Aerogarden store)
Only thing I do different is use General Hydro nutes.
35 for a couple years worth.
Search General Hydroponics Flora Series QT - FloraGro, FloraBloom, and FloraMicro at Amazon.com.

ohst said:
I just came across an AeroGarden at a garage sale a few days ago.  I had never heard of it until then, but got it for $5 with the two lights.  I have done some research on the net about these units and they look legit.  I would just like to know if anyone on here has used one, or anything similar to that system, for peppers and if they are only good for germination or the entire process.  TIA.     
Won't do for all spots full of large pepper plants.
I have a 7 holer, and 3 or 4 (with supports) is all the big plants they will hold.
Then they clog the pump with roots and need to be refilled daily.
May do better with smaller bush type plants (Tepins, Bolivian Rainbow, White Bullet Hab, etc) But I havent tried.

Simply the best seed starter, IMHO.
Buy the kit or make one out of a styrofoam cooler lid. I add a big airstone and cheap air pump, and if you want to get really picky, add an aquarium heater to keep the temps exactly where you want them.
My "official" starter has 66 holes for sponges, but a home made one could have 70.

thanks for the shoutout guys... anyway i got into the aerogarden in march of 2012 and i have yet to stop sowing in them..

i have 3... got 2 for $75 and one for $35 with tons of goodies...

G is right.. why try to make your own when they arent as different and costly than them root plugs.. anyways.. i use aerogarden to start tons of seeds and i eventually transfer...you can make your own starter kit...
or you can make your own ghetto aero
the only problem with this particular styrofoam had pores on the bottom so it leaked...

very simple.. you can prolly do your own makeshift lighting....as the bulbs are costly and can last from 1 week.. to 1 year.. all depends on when it wants to go out on you.. any further questions just PM me

PexPeppers said:
are they net cups? also look up rapid rooters for the sponges.
Ok, do you know how many sponges you can get from each rapid rooters? I think the root riots are more "meaty" than the rapid rooters, I might be wrong tho.

Gotrox said:
ebay or from aerogarden.
Lots of alternatives---like sponges or nylons cut and shaped and filled with peat or the like.
But why mess with something that works so well.
Set of lights will run 30 to 60, depending on model, 16 for 50 baskets, 15 for 50 sponges. (From the Aerogarden store)
Only thing I do different is use General Hydro nutes.
35 for a couple years worth.
Search General Hydroponics Flora Series QT - FloraGro, FloraBloom, and FloraMicro at Amazon.com.
Yes sir, I just checked. Thanks.

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
thanks for the shoutout guys... anyway i got into the aerogarden in march of 2012 and i have yet to stop sowing in them..

i have 3... got 2 for $75 and one for $35 with tons of goodies...

G is right.. why try to make your own when they arent as different and costly than them root plugs.. anyways.. i use aerogarden to start tons of seeds and i eventually transfer...you can make your own starter kit...

or you can make your own ghetto aero

the only problem with this particular styrofoam had pores on the bottom so it leaked...

very simple.. you can prolly do your own makeshift lighting....as the bulbs are costly and can last from 1 week.. to 1 year.. all depends on when it wants to go out on you.. any further questions just PM me
Thanks man! Cool videos, very helpful. I meant to PM you, but I wanted to post it up to see what everyone's experience is.

What do you think about those ebay bulb adapters? Hook it up and run any bulb of your likes (same wattage tho).

In case anyone is wondering this is the one I got. I know.... white. Just say it lol! It's a 7 pod classic.

IMG-20130617-WA0017.jpg

IMG-20130617-WA0018.jpg

IMG-20130617-WA0019.jpg

, Walter

Prolly doesn't have the extendable top. Which means the pepper plants can only get that tall. (Never had the short top, so not sure just how far it extends)

But you can pick up a 4 tube 2 foot fluroescent setup for cheap to hang above it and just pull the hood.

Lasts longer and cheaper to replace the bulbs.

Gotrox said:
Prolly doesn't have the extendable top. Which means the pepper plants can only get that tall. (Never had the short top, so not sure just how far it extends)

But you can pick up a 4 tube 2 foot fluroescent setup for cheap to hang above it and just pull the hood.

Lasts longer and cheaper to replace the bulbs.
I'm gona put LEDs, I have about 10 leds left over from when I did my first panel. So that's what I'm gona put on that sucker forget the cfl.

I'm gona put this one on in the mean time once I have everything to run it. :D

IMG_20121219_200846.jpg

, Walter

KiNGDeNNiZ said:
Looks awesome. I also use my aerogarden to clone. I get better results
Nice, I wish I had gotten the aerogarden first. I already made a ghetto cloner from a bucket and I got the idea from the htgsupply clone bucket.

IMG-20130615-WA0016.jpg

20130613_182755.jpg

Tepin cutting at 4 days, no signs of stress or anything. It looks just the way it did when I cut it. Just tap water and a few drops of superthive nothing else.

20130619_145227.jpg

I now just hope I don't get the DSSSS (Don't Stop Sowing Seed Syndrome) lol.

, Walter

I love my Aerogarden. I got a totally unused one for $25 bucks first at a rummage sale for the war vets. Got a second one for free but I need to replace the pump and lights. I grew them until I couldn't raise the lvl of the light. I planted 3 bhuts, 2 Butch T's and 2 Morugas. 1 Butch and 1 Moruga didn't come out but the rest are big and beautiful now. They haven't produced flower buds yet but it's getting really really hot down here now and I need to rig up a shade covering.

My next project would be growing some lettuce in one of them to see how that goes. just don't know which type to use other than romaine. Don't think head lettuce would work in it heheheh :P

Angie

Ok so I made my mind, I'm gona order directly from Aerogarden. Spend more but you'll get more.

I would ask if anyone on here finds it too expensive, I would offer half of my order for exactly half of what I'm gona pay for it. Better yet I can split the shipping to you, I pay half you pay the other half. Lmk. I be placing my order either tonight or tomorrow.

, Walter

Did an aerogarden and found your thread Vegas. How's the aero growing going? (say that 3 times really fast) The problem I'm running into is my extendable light is no longer extendable. Any suggestions on rigging it taller?

Here's my fatali that I started a few months ago.

Photo_Jul_05_7_36_03_AM.jpg

You can buy the extra extendable from the aerogarden store, or for about 1/2 their price, a 4 tube 2 footer to hang above the base.
The thing I noticed about the extra extension, not enough light at the upper reaches.

Well i do have it setup next to a west facing window. So I get some supplement lighting that comes in. I was just trying to do this as lazy and easily as possible haha.

Back