• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

After a certain Heat level, all hot peppers burn the same?

This has been a very contentious subject that I've discussed numerous times with friends and co-workers. It revolves around the theory that once the heat level of a pepper reaches the maximum limit of someone's pain threshold then they are no longer able to detect additional heat beyond that level. For example, if a cayenne pepper is hot enough to make someone throw up and go running for the sink, then that same person could eat a trinidad scorpion and have the same ill effects but not realize that it's that much hotter pepper, since their sensory capacity has already been exceeded by a cayenne. On the other hand, some might argue that same person would eat the scorpion and end up in the hospital. I'm just wondering where everyone weighs in on this notion?

Well, different peppers burn in different ways. For instance I don't like the it when my lips are on fire, but I don't mind the burn in the throat or tongue.

I know that does not really answer your question so I will add that for me once peppers get to a certain level it is hard to tell the difference in heat. I can't tell much difference in heat level of a bhut vs. 7 pod vs. Scorpion.

I would LOVE to meet the person that thinks a Trinidad Scorpion is just as hot as a Cayenne! THAT must be how Neil does it! lol
I think a better comparison would have been a Bhut Jolokia and a Trinidad Scorpion. Even though the Bhut is VERY hot, if anyone has had a Bhut AND a ButchT Scorp enter their mouth hole, then THEY know there is such a thing as more pain. lol

I believe it can be felt. If you top out at say a Fatalli, you will feel more pain with a Bhut Jolokia or Scorp.

You also have to remember that eating peppers is like drinking beer. When a kid maybe 2 beers got you fuzzy. Drink often and 2 doesn't do it anymore, stop for a while and tolerance drops again.

The heat level of the pepper can be measured on a scale, but perception of that heat level???

The effect of capsaicin from individual to individual is so varied and different that may not even be a valid question :eek:

This has been a very contentious subject that I've discussed numerous times with friends and co-workers. It revolves around the theory that once the heat level of a pepper reaches the maximum limit of someone's pain threshold then they are no longer able to detect additional heat beyond that level. For example, if a cayenne pepper is hot enough to make someone throw up and go running for the sink, then that same person could eat a trinidad scorpion and have the same ill effects but not realize that it's that much hotter pepper, since their sensory capacity has already been exceeded by a cayenne. On the other hand, some might argue that same person would eat the scorpion and end up in the hospital. I'm just wondering where everyone weighs in on this notion?

If there were only one capsaicinoid compound responsible for the pungency, yours would be a good assumption. However, that is not the case. There are I think about 6 compounds in the capsaicinoid family, the two most prominent being capsaicin and dihydrocapsaicin. These, along with the minor constituents and the host of other biochemicals present, help to produce very unique flavor profiles. I'm sure a gas chromatogram would show a large number of different peaks representing different organic compounds. A pepper plant is an amazing biorefinery which helps to make them interesting and tasty - they would be pretty boring if there were only one single compound responsible for the heat.

An interesting factoid - Pure capsaicin measures in about about 16 million Scovilles. Therefore, a SH measuring in a ~1 million is about 6.25% capsaicin on a weight basis. That is pretty awesome...

The heat level of the pepper can be measured on a scale, but perception of that heat level???

The effect of capsaicin from individual to individual is so varied and different that may not even be a valid question :eek:

That's completely my point, it's solely a matter of human perception. However, I don't beleive this invalidates the question. Flavor aside, capsaicin and other capsacaisinoids are unique in that they act on mammalian pain receptors.

Most of us are human beings with similar neurological systems. If we measure pain on a scale from 1-10 and someone feels pain level 10 at 50,000 SHU, can more capsaicin equal more pain? I'm not talking about chiliheads mind you. I've seen at least half of Neil's Chillitest videos, and the poise and composure he maintains when he's eating this stuff is amazing. I don't think there is a level 10 for alot of you guys. If there is, it exists at a potency in excess of a million scovilles.

The first time I ate an orange habanero was an excruciating ordeal. The sensation I experienced was like having my mouth filled with molten lead. I panicked, I screamed, I ran around in circles, and ultimately, I vomited. Mind you, my tolerance has progressed considerably since then and I can now readily tolerate a couple red savinas sliced up on a bagel with cream cheese. At that time however, my non acclimitized pain receptors fired on every single cylinder, I don't think it could have been much worse, could it? Had that first pepper been a naga morich, would I have detected the difference?

There is a big difference. I eat two Caribbean Reds every week night in a small sandwich. Every Saturday I have a large (Bhut 1-choc/1-red) pizza.

There's a huge gap between the small sandwiches and pizza's heat levels. Each piece of pizza gets hotter and hotter. I guess I will never know where I top out at…I just don't have the toughness to keep going!!

I think the only way you will find closure would be to take the plunge!!

Try both extremes and let us know what you have learned.

If there were only one capsaicinoid compound responsible for the pungency, yours would be a good assumption. However, that is not the case. There are I think about 6 compounds in the capsaicinoid family, the two most prominent being capsaicin and dihydrocapsaicin. These, along with the minor constituents and the host of other biochemicals present, help to produce very unique flavor profiles. I'm sure a gas chromatogram would show a large number of different peaks representing different organic compounds. A pepper plant is an amazing biorefinery which helps to make them interesting and tasty - they would be pretty boring if there were only one single compound responsible for the heat.

An interesting factoid - Pure capsaicin measures in about about 16 million Scovilles. Therefore, a SH measuring in a ~1 million is about 6.25% capsaicin on a weight basis. That is pretty awesome...

+1

The different amounts of different capsaicinoids make for a different burn. The easiest way to see this is to eat chillies from the different families that all have about the same heat in SHUs, and you will get a different burn from each.

Different locations of the burn, different length of burn, different onset times etc.

If you have some down-time, start at the Wikipedia entry for Capsaicin and follow links out - makes for some interesting reading.

+1

The different amounts of different capsaicinoids make for a different burn. The easiest way to see this is to eat chillies from the different families that all have about the same heat in SHUs, and you will get a different burn from each.

Different locations of the burn, different length of burn, different onset times etc.

If you have some down-time, start at the Wikipedia entry for Capsaicin and follow links out - makes for some interesting reading.

How very true...

Some of the hottest peppers I remember that hit me the most were the Tabasco and the chiltepin - ~50-100 thousand SU according to the literature and they just made me wonder if I needed an ambulance......

Now, Caribbean Reds, I slice and eat them on sandwiches and such all the time - ~300 thousand SU. Yes, they're hot but to my taste, they don't seem nearly as hot as a Tabasco or chiltepin. I have to wonder if some of the Capsaicinoid components have different effects on different parts of the mouth and throat - maybe I'm more sensitive to dibydrocapsaicin perhaps.

It makes me question a heat rating system based on taste and dilution......... I would love to see a system based on chemical analysis instead. But, I realize how much it costs to run a GC since I used to do that.

It's interesting. People detect heat in different ways. To me, Chiltepins are hot, but not THAT hot. I just pop them between my teeth and grind them up with a mouthfull of food. I saw a recipe in this book for Chiltepins salsa and they specced out five Chiltepins. I'd never taste them that way. I LOVE the flavor of Chiltepins and, yeah, they're hot, but it's a heat I really enjoy and find soothing. So, it is all in how someone responds to the particular capsaicinoid in each, I would think.

It makes me question a heat rating system based on taste and dilution......... I would love to see a system based on chemical analysis instead. But, I realize how much it costs to run a GC since I used to do that.

Since HPLC tests usually give the amounts for the different capsaicinoids, it would surprise me it it starts creeping into testing. Chillies could be bread for higher/lower levels of the different capsaicinoids to adjust the burn.

Ever know someone that had an excess of tastebud tasked for detecting sour(pucker easily)??? Then there are the people that can pop a super-sour candy in their mouth and not pucker at all. Same thing. Many tongues with the same sensors just in different numbers. As was mentioned there are different capsaicinoids which would mean different sensors to detect. If there was only one or one that blanketed all the sensors we would then be able to say this is level 9 and all would know. People would know what their pain threshhold is and then choose where to go with it. IMO different peppers with different burn types/places are great for multi-course hot meals you can let the tip of the tongue cool down over a course that hits the throat.

There is a ThrowDown idea. 3 courses or more utilizing multiple peppers to give a meal long tour of the burn in your mouth.

Is there a pain cap? Only once have I tried popping a pod whole. A mystery hab I grew out myself...green at that because popping a ripe pod for the 1st time is just insanity right :think: :think: .....Sheeeeit....all I can say is having never tried a Super hot myself, it's very easy to wonder "how could it get any worse?" after an episode such as this. And "wonder" I have, though in silence as I patiently wait "my turn" watching my own supers grow. I'm pleasantly intimidated. :crazy:

I know one thing though, I will NOT be popping any super whole. I don't even know why I tried it with the mystery hab. Oh wait, yeah I do......Neil made me do it! The beer helped :drunk:

Throat and lips never bothered me. My tongue hasn't for that matter. Only part that kicks me is under my tongue..not sure why but that is my limiting factor thus far. Underside of my tongue is super sensitive for some reason.

Back