• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Again leaves... but different problem. Droopy leaves.

So are my leaves healed and just bearing the scares of adema you think. The "sawdust" like patches are solid, do not brush off and appear to be part of the leaves. Although my leaves aren't completley covered like yours seem to be. It's primarily on the inner parts of the leaf stem and closer to the leaf branch as opposed to the edges

I've been reading up on edema. [link]. It seems like it is possible it.

Symptoms of edema appear as bumps or blisters initially on the undersides of lower or older leaves on a plant. They may then turn brownish or tan and become corky. Severely affected leaves will often turn yellow and fall off the plant.

Preventing edema
What can growers do to prevent edema on susceptible plants? The main method is to carefully manage the greenhouse environment. Begin by using a well drained growing media. Increase light intensity by spacing plants farther apart. Avoid over-fertilizing plants, especially when the plants are growing slowly and avoid growing cultivars that are highly susceptible. See tables 1 and 2 for susceptible varieties of ivy geraniums. Do not over water, and keep plants on the "dry side" during extended periods of low light and cool temperature. Water when air temperature is rising or humidity is low.
Anything a grower can do to improve drainage and air circulation around plants will help prevent edema. Reduce humidity by venting the greenhouse first thing in the morning, even if that means turning up the heat. See the article "Reducing Humidity in the Greenhouse" in the Nov./Dec.2003 issue of Floral Notes or on our website listed below . Make sure there is adequate air flow, whether from fan jets or horizontal air flow fans. Air movement is important 24 hours a day. Do not use saucerless hanging baskets. Instead, use containers that have snap-on saucers, but do not put the saucer on until the crop is nearly finished, or if possible, until point of sale. This will ensure maximum drainage of each basket. When using an automatic watering system, place varieties with similar growth vigor on each line or section, again to eliminate over watering. Lastly, properly manage media pH and soil fertility. Make sure media pH for ivy geraniums is 5.5. Fertilize once every three feedings with calcium and potassium nitrate. Calcium will thicken up the cell walls, making ivy geraniums more resistant to edema.

McGoo said:
Be sure to use a diamond tipped drill, a masonry bit will gouge a big hole, and a hammer drill will hammer the pot into little pieces. The pots look like they might be meant to hold another pot inside-the ones you have are sometimes designed as a nice exterior, and also as a water reservoir.

If it is fungus I'm sure it's because of the lack of drainage in these designer pots. Even with the two cm of gravel at the bottom. The designer pots were a concession to my girlfriend so I would be allowed to take over a corner of my office/dinning room.

However as the text I read up said...

They may then turn brownish or tan and become corky.

Which is what they may be?

Back