• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in Startup Help.

fermenting Aged vs. fermented

As I understand it, they are different techniques.

Question: What does aging do to the flavor profile?

If I were to age a mash, how would you stop fermentation from taking place from the wild spores already on the pepper plant skins?

Different but also a part of the whole fermenting process. Fermenting only takes place so long as there are sugars available for the lacto bacteria to consume. No more sugars the lacto go dormant and the mash starts the aging process. Aging allows the flavors of a mash or sauce to mellow and get all happy together. A lot of the sharpness that is noted in a fresh sauce will become less sharp over time. It is especially beneficial if you have something other than a glass jar or plastic bucket for it to age in. Just imagine the notes a sauce could pick up from  aging for a couple of months in a whiskey, rum or brandy barrel. Don't have these available easy, head over to your local homebrew /wine shop and pick up some toasted oak chips, etc...

Hope this answers your question. 

Rocketman, tosted oak chips how would you go about incorporating them into the ferment they have lots of different chips in the brew store my problem out of site out of mind I got some for a batch, help! yet to use them in the boil bag in the boil I just wonder about how in ferment and how much would you use at a time thanks

For Beer, I've always put them in the secondary. Primary would have all the other stuff that might have been in the boil depending on what your making. So if your making a Vanilla Bourbon Barrel Porter or Stout you'll have the Vanilla Bean and what ever else went in at flame out. Then you'll rack off of those and onto the chips.

For Pepper mash I'd allow the primary fermentation, say 45 days, to run it's course. Yes, the active fermentation will be complete before then but to me there's just something good about the 45 day cycle. Then I'd process the sauce like I was going to bottle it  but put it into a secondary with the chips for another 45 days and then process and bottle.

I haven't played with it any yet but I do have a bag of dark toasted chips standing by. Think I might get a bag of light toasted and try a simple mash and put half on one and half on the other and see what happens.

Cheers 

Thanks for the share on the knowledge my friend i have had chips in pantry and was thinking in a hot sauce please let me know how it works out. I will do the same. My chips are whiskey oak, that im using ok great great. Thanks Dan

i have easy access to bourbon barrels. my thought is to age some of my sauce in one of these barrels. what sort of results have people had from this sort of aging and how long have they aged them?

RocketMan said:
Nice, how long are you planning to let it sit on the chips?

I think your advice was 45 days Rocketman These types of Sauce are the longer the better from what I understand. I Have a cranberry ferment and i was going to let it sit close to next Thanksgiving. I have few others going but they are all around a month old so i have a while! Any tips or tricks are always needed and or welcome Thanks GG 

If your going to go that long, we'll if I was going to let one go that long Id getnit through the first 90 days then no cooking but give it a run through the blender. Check and adjust the Ph so it's below 3.5 at least the add the wood, boiled first to kill any nasties, pour in the sauce and put it in the fridge. Then like RonCo says "Set it and Forget it"

Back