• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Aglio, Olio, Peperoncino

Thought I would start a thread for every time I enjoy a nice plate of Aglio, Olio, & Peperoncino pasta.
A classic staple dish in Italian cooking, the basic preparation is pretty simple - fry up some garlic and chili in extra virgin olive oil, meanwhile boil your pasta of choice to "al dente," drain, and finish cooking the pasta in your garlicky spicy oily concoction. Buon appetito! 

Dalia said:
Late night meal last night. Classic AOP with a twist - one Cantabrian anchovy added into the olive oil after the garlic and peppers, and before adding the parsley and water. Once plated, some bread crumbs generously sprinkled all over, topped with two more anchovies. 

thumbnail.jpg

Americans aren't big on anchovies, I know, but when added into the oil as you're frying the other ingredients, it breaks down in the oil and adds depth of flavor (that elusive "umami") to the final product. If you don't top with the extras like I did, you wouldn't even know it was in there. 

IMG_0659.jpg

Wine pairing: Pouilly-Fumè de Ladoucette. A lovely white wine from the Loire Valley in France. 100% sauvignon

Also - I can't seem to get the dang photos to upload not sideways.

Drop a good knob of butter in the pan too and you have my Dad's favorite good Friday bagna cauda pasta. You know Northern Italians , always better with butter.

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
i did a variation for dinner tonight. my wife bought hot italian sausage patties to make sausage burgers but i decided instead of a burger i`d eat it with spaghetti and peppers. not pictured but added was a garlic clove. i used one jalapeno and one shishito both picked just before making it. broke up the sausage patty into small pieces and browned it in a cast iron skillet. when sausage was done removed it from the skillet and put the peppers in the sausage drippings then the minced garlic. when peppers were ready the spaghetti and sausage was added back to skillet and tossed. came out great. 

Tasty stuff! How are shishito peppers? I haven't tried one to my knowledge, but always on the lookout for a good variety that's a compromise between the heat level I enjoy, and what my husband can tolerate, haha. 

Dalia said:

Tasty stuff! How are shishito peppers? I haven't tried one to my knowledge, but always on the lookout for a good variety that's a compromise between the heat level I enjoy, and what my husband can tolerate, haha. 
the ones i`ve eaten from my plant have had zero heat so far. i`ve read that one out of ten or twenty will have a little heat. i`ve had them blistered in a hot skillet with garlic and olive oil and i`ve also used them like you would use green onion as a way to add some color and texture to ramen noodle soup and on chinese food. they are thin walled.

Tonight's dinner/hangover meal.. 
A heaping plate of AOP, made with some Nitan peppers I had in the freezer. 
Pretty good, although I thought it would have turned out spicier than it did. 

IMG_0708.jpg

IMG_0709.jpg

Cheers!

Whipped up a big plate of pasta today for lunch. Used 2 chocolate Devil's Tongue peppers, which perplexingly had ZERO heat to them whatsosver. It was the first time using any pods off the plant, so not sure if the plant is a dud, or what. 
Oh well, the pasta was still tasty! 

IMG_1896.jpg

IMG_1899.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

Back