• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

AHayastani's GLOG 2022

thp-cover.jpg

🌴 Welcome to my GLOG!

🌴 I have a small urban terrace garden where I grow mainly peppers in containers. My location is Chiapas, Mexico. The local climate is tropical with pronounced dry and rainy seasons. The temperatures can sometimes be too much for the plants to bear (especially around Easter), but in general they manage. The climate makes that I can grow peppers year round, although pest pressure is really high. Especially mites are a problem... I apply neem oil copiously, but it does not always work...

🌴 This GLOG will follow my 2022 pepper endeavours. Enjoy πŸ₯΅

Hey @ahayastani - A bushier plant will have more growth/flowering
nodes, so should result in more flowers and pods, yes? Don't know
about size of pods. Looks like you have a chance to check this out
observationally with your two White 7 Pot plants! Looking forward
to your report!

Black Betty Red. I bough the seeds from T-E. I was drawn by its looks... I couldn't find much information about the origins of this variety and so I asked T-E (very responsive to FB messages). Apparently it is an accidental cross of Mojo Big Brown (itself a cross of Kathumby with an unknown) that was found in the garden of Davide Chiti (Italy). The pepper will turn dark as it ripens, but this variety (Red) will end red. We'll see πŸ™‚ Beautiful nervature so far.

thp-blackbetty-20211207_165950.jpg

thp-blackbetty-20211207_170142.jpg

Hangjiao 10 "After Glow", one of the so-called "Space chillis". I don't know what to make of the space chilli story - real or hoax? - but I was impressed enough by Hangjiao 3 "Solar Flare" to open the doors of my garden to the other Hangjiao family members. In the case of Hangjiao 10, I was attracted by the prospects of high yields of mild and sweet peppers. I bought the seeds from THP.

This plant developed fast and already was carrying a few small peppers when I transplanted it to its final grow bag. The fruit was not aborted and is turning red now πŸŽ‰ The plant is also developing new growth and I spot some flower buds anxious to become peppers. My first subjective impression is that the peppers look like (X)L cayennes, and I really would like to see their size once the plant has matured.

thp-hangjiao10-20211210_070815.jpg

thp-hangjiao10-20211210_070850.jpg

thp-hangjiao10-20211210_070928.jpg

(not) KS White Thai keeps on yielding... The taste has changed though; the peppers are now more acidic than in the other seasons. Curious about their taste in Spring...

thp-notkswhitethai-20211210_070941.jpg

Last edited:
I was out for 4 days and today collected a mini-harvest of sorts...

thp-oogst-20211216_092439.jpg

We see:
  1. (not) KS White Thai
  2. Peppadew
  3. Peri peri "African Devil"
  4. Hangjiao 10 "After glow"
Peppadew, peri peri and (not) KS White Thai are plants of about a year old now. I'm still undecided whether I will sacrifice the peppadew plant or not. Today I noticed new stem and leaf formation, so the plant might become healthy again (after pest infestation). The peri peri peppers are smaller than what I'm used to (@HeatMiser), but these peppers were formed when the plant was still in bad shape.

Hangjiao 10 is a "new" plant and these are its first peppers. I would say that it's in the same category of our hottest supermarket jalapeΓ±os in terms of hotness (~10k SHU, subjective scale), but the type of burn is reminiscent of bird peppers (such as the (not) KS White Thai). The burn comes quick and wants to build up (on the tip of the tongue) but lacks the power to really "burn". There is a hint of sweetness but I personally like more sweetness if I want to use them as snacking pepper. Still, these are the first peppers and it's the dry season. The plant receives little direct sunlight for the moment. My judgement and appreciation will likely change the following weeks and months.

The acid tones of (not) KS White Thai have decreased somewhat. This variety strongly increases saliva excretion (in me, at least). The moment the burn subsides, my cheeks are filled with saliva.

Jaloro, a jalapeΓ±o-type pepper. Seeds were purchased from Chilli Seedz. I was looking for a mild jalapeΓ±o and Jaloro seemed to fit the bill.
Germination was good: 3 out of 3 seeds germinated and two seedlings were selected. The seedlings developed well but suffered from thrips early on. I consider their recovery a near-miracle. One of two plantlets was transplanted to its final container a week ago and seems to be doing well (first photo). The second plantlet (second and third photo) will be transplanted today. I have been long in doubt about what to do with it because it suffered hard from the thrip infestation. The arrow in the second photo points to the withered original stem of the plant that has died back. A side shoot developed into the new main stem and I believe the plantlet is now ready for transplantation (even has a flower). Patience has saved this plant, but I must admit that I would have ditched the plant if my growing season would be limited.

thp-jaloro-20211216_085854.jpg

thp-jaloro-20211216_085717.jpg

thp-jaloro-20211216_085627.jpg

@ahayastani - The first plant really getting ready to flower, Dieter!
and nice save on the second one. the new growth looks great and
the established root system will kick its growth into high gear, I'll bet!

Where are all the parasitic wasps to control the thrips? Seems like
if the thrips are so common in your area, so would be their predators.

Where are all the parasitic wasps to control the thrips? Seems like
if the thrips are so common in your area, so would be their predators.

A very pertinent question, and one that I can't answer with authority. However, I have translated a few manuscripts on related subjects, and combined with my own observations I can give you my opinion and assumptions.

Many pests (thrips, aphids, white flies, mealybugs, mites) follow the seasonal rhythm of dry and rainy season. They don't usually thrive in the rainy season, which at times can be really violent compared to your PNW drizzle and showers. My urban setting doesn't strictly follow this general "rule" because it is protected by a roof: plants are protected from the heavy rainfall, but so are the critters. Rainfall is less abundant during the Dog Days (a dip in the rainy season), and this is the first time that many pests begin to manifest. Rainfall increases again and peaks in September. Pest pressure is reduced but becomes very high in November as the rainy season ends. When I walked through the city in October/November, I noticed most of the trees were covered by mealybugs - not just a few leaves, but the whole crown. But now they're gone. And also in my own urban garden, pest pressure is now very low (in relative terms). There are a few ornamentals with mites, but nothing that is out of control. Natural enemies are quite abundant in the region as well, but if you consider the pest-natural enemy connection as a cause-effect relation, then the solution will come only when the problem has manifested itself. The time necessary for the natural enemies to eliminate the threat might be too long for my plants...

Some additional problems are of my own fabrication: plant diversity on my roof terrace is not high (essentially monoculture), and I (now) also believe that sowing at the end of the rainy season is not a good tactic for my specific locality. I should either sow earlier or, still better, in late November/early December. Especially the latter would avoid a series of pest-related issues.

I also noticed that certain pepper varieties are more attractive to pests than others. I think Jaloro is one of them, but I'm not absolutely sure. I'm more confident to say that Antep Aci Dolma has acted as a pest magnet so far (don't forget that I'm always speaking in relative terms here). Plantlets were placed at random among other varieties and thrips as well as white flies gathered on Antep Aci Dolma.
I have placed three plants on my work bench so I can better review and follow up on them. The plant on the left was sown in August, whereas the plants in the middle and at the left were sown in October. The oldest plant was hit by thrips when it was flowering and has been in recuperation mode ever since. The younger plants were affected early on and their journey to adulthood was delayed. They'll arive there, eventually.

thp-antepacidolma-20211216_161913.jpg

thp-antepacidolma-20211216_162029.jpg

thp-antepacidolma-20211216_162053.jpg

thp-antepacidolma-20211216_162204.jpg

Peri Peri "African Devil", sown in February 2021 (seeds from CaneDog). The plant has recuperated from pest infestation and I removed the affected parts. The plant has responded well to this treatment and is emitting new leaves and flowers. The distance between the metal wires is about 30 cm, so the plant grows to about a meter in container (rough estimates). One of my favourite varieties, but its peppers are currently not as flavourful as in other seasons. I can wait though 😁

thp-periperi-20211216_162638.jpg

thp-periperi-20211216_162433.jpg

thp-periperi-20211216_162540.jpg

Last edited:
Peppadew, also sown in February 2021. Seeds were a courtesy of Chris Fowler (Welsh Dragon Chilli). This plant was also affected by pests but didn't die. The plant looks miserable though, so I cut it back and hope for a swift comeback. I have currently three plantlets (from seeds of this plant) ready to replace it if things go wrong...

thp-peppadew-20211216_172440.jpg

thp-peppadew-20211216_172518.jpg

thp-peppadew-20211216_173042.jpg

I spotted a volunteer pepper emerging in the neighbouring Canna container. No idea what it is - perhaps Bhut Jolokia - but I'm not going to remove it. Curious to see how it will compete with the Canna.

thp-x-20211216_170450.jpg

I provided some support to my Peach Bhut Jolokia SS plant. Something tells me this will become quite the plant... With the support installed (last picture), I estimate it currently reaches ~60 cm and the plant is still developing new growth and leaves. So far no indications of flower buds.

thp-peachbhutjolokiass-20211216_165033.jpg

thp-peachbhutjolokiass-20211216_165147.jpg

thp-peachbhutjolokiass-20211216_165201.jpg

thp-peachbhutjolokiass-20211216_170423.jpg

Tshololo, a Brazilian variety (seeds from Chilli Seedz). This plant has been causing troubles from the beginning but seems to have been more complacent lately. It had the tendency to fall over and was susceptible to wind. The plantlet had a crooked stem and I had to provide support from the beginning (first image). That aside, it is a beautiful plant and the first flower buds are making their appearance. I'm anxious to try these peppers.

thp-tshololo-20211216_164528.jpg

thp-tshololo-20211216_164435.jpg

thp-tshololo-20211216_164627.jpg

thp-tshololo-20211216_164806.jpg

Big Sun, a habanero - it is said - from the African continent (seeds from Chilli Seedz). I provided the plant with a support because it has grown a lot the last 2 weeks and carries a lot of flowers and flower buds. I don't know where its origins lie, but something tells me this plant likes the tropics (lush green, healthy bush, profuse flowering right from the beginning).

thp-bigsun-20211216_163015.jpg

thp-bigsun-20211216_163039.jpg

thp-bigsun-20211216_163105.jpg

thp-bigsun-20211216_164248.jpg

I notice that many of my pepper plants are powering up. After a series of setbacks, this was the scenario I was hoping for. Thank you, plants :clap:

Black Ghost, seeds acquired from Chilli Seedz. A cross between Bhut Jolokia and Pimenta da Neyde. Germination was good (3/4) but two seedlings were green and one had a purple stem. I selected one green and the purple seedling, and both plants have recently been transplanted to their final grow bag. Their growth habit seems to be different as well. In the first photo, the green plant is on the left and the purple on the right. The second and third photo show the green plant, while the fourth and fifth photo show the purple one.
I'm very curious about how this will evolve.

thp-blackghost-20211219_164416.jpg

Black Ghost "Green Stem"

thp-blackghost-20211219_164438.jpg

thp-blackghost-20211219_164539.jpg

Black Ghost "Purple Stem"

thp-blackghost-20211219_164606.jpg

thp-blackghost-20211219_164718.jpg

I have been sowing in various phases. The adolescent plants I've show thus far were sown in the "first phase" and are mostly chinense peppers.

The plantlets of the "second phase" are doing well and it won't be long before I'll be transplanting them to their final grow bag. The second group is limited in size but comprises a few had-to-grow varieties that I also cultivated last season (Blot, Criolla de Cocina). There also is a pubescens in the group. It is said that my climate is too hard for this species, but I'd like to see what "too hard" actually means.

thp-var-20211226_084125.jpg

The "third phase" is now concluded. Some varieties have already germinated but most are still looking for their way up (generally 2 or 3 seeds per variety, occasionally 4).

thp-var-20211226_084211.jpg

thp-var-20211226_084254.jpg

I will begin a "fourth phase" in a week of two. It will comprise mostly annuum peppers. There will be a "fifth and final phase" when my seeds from Chris Fowler arrive - I hope by the end of February.

Scotch Brain. I grew this variety two seasons ago and really liked it. I was doubting about how many plants I should grow - only one or perhaps two. Germination rate was 3/3, but the third seedling arrived late at the show. The two others looked a bit different: one seedling had a green stem and the other a purple stem (first of three photos, 10 Dec). I selected both. In the second and third image (30 Dec), the purple stemmed individual stands at the left side. The colouration fades away as the plant continues to develop, but there is quite some difference in size between the plantlets. I don't know what to expect - cross, mutation, genetic variation within the variety - but it gives me a good excuse to grow two plants 😁

thp-scotchbrain-20211210_164354.jpg thp-scotchbrain-20211230_170314.jpg thp-scotchbrain-20211230_170404.jpg

Back