• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

bottling Air bubbles in my hot sauce

I blend all my ingredients in a half-gallon blender. Water, vinegar, hot peppers, spices. I will typically get a lot of air bubbles when I fill the bottles using a funnel. I always fill to the very top of the bottle. But still, the liquid content will drop once the bubbles have dissipated and the bottles do not look full any more. It helps To get rid of most of the bubbles if I blend very slowly before I am ready to pour. But not entirely. I tried adding a little bit of oil to the sauce but that does not seem to help much.

Does anyone have a secret to minimize bubbles?

I could wait until the bubbles disappear before pouring but I want to pour when the sauce is hot.

Sounds like your blender is aerating the sauce. Do you have different blades? If not a new blender will help. A larger blender like a Vitamix or Blendtec. And you should not be filling to the top of the bottle.

Because you need a vacuum seal. If you fill it to the top it is not safe.

Plus, it looks amateurish. 

The 5.5 ounce bottle is designed to hold 5 fluid ounces.

I use a Vitamix to do my sauces. By the time I blend it multiple times as I adjust taste and PH with salt, vinegar and sweetener I also find it’s essentially aerated.

I use a Blendtec blender and it really aerates the sauce. But then I cook it before bottling so by then all the bubbles are gone. Are you just blending fresh and not cooking?

I used to have a problem when I would cook then blend then bottle but now I blend then cook then bottle.

A couple of my sauces are more prone to foaming. After blending and coming up to heat, i just keep stirring. Usually with a wire whisk, but not whisking the sauce. Just keeping it moving, working out the air. Takes 10 to 15 minutes...

Last edited:
I use a Blendtec blender and it really aerates the sauce. But then I cook it before bottling so by then all the bubbles are gone. Are you just blending fresh and not cooking?

I used to have a problem when I would cook then blend then bottle but now I blend then cook then bottle.
You can also cook blend cook. If you prefer to start off cooking.

Maybe....depending on the quantity being processed....

But for processing, the sauce should be monitored with a thermometer and brought up to temp.

Anyone else experience aeration in the hot sauce? Have anyone manage a trick to bottle the sauce at the temp of 178F or higher and avoid this problem? Any resting time in the pan?

Aeration seems to be a problem with high speed blenders and immersion blenders. Depending on the ingredients and processes, it is sometimes one of those necessary evils.

Best solution i have found is to keep the sauce in the pot and just keep it on the low holding temp of 180-200f and just keep stiring with a whisk or silicone spatula/scraper for 10-20 minutes. This is when working with 1-10 gallon batches.

There are other way to deal with it...
Blender the snot out of the ingredients that need blendering and will get aerated. Put that stuff in the pot and cook on low stirring to get the air out....(this is a small portion of the whole sauce)...then add all the other ingredients like the vinegars/acids/ etc and finish the cooking and bottling.

Back