• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

contest Ají Charapita Growdown Throwdown 2024

Do you have what it takes to be crowned the Growdown Throwdown King or Queen in 2024?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
How did the shirt fit?! You’re the first person to get the new design. Oh! And how did you like the sauces?
Fits perfect! Love the new design.
Sauces were great too. Definitely taste and smell the chinense peppers in the "Smirk"s. Left a nice lingering burn on my tongue. "Smirk Red", was thicker than "Smirk Yellow" & didn't seem quite as hot. "Sissy" is an appropriate name for the 3rd sauce. Good flavor and texture, a bit sweet, but no real heat.
:cheers:

Fits perfect! Love the new design.
Sauces were great too. Definitely taste and smell the chinense peppers in the "Smirk"s. Left a nice lingering burn on my tongue. "Smirk Red", was thicker than "Smirk Yellow" & didn't seem quite as hot. "Sissy" is an appropriate name for the 3rd sauce. Good flavor and texture, a bit sweet, but no real heat.
:cheers:

Perfect! Glad to hear it! Shoot me a photo of you wearing it in the garden once your season gets going! I’ll add it to the testimonials page on my website with the quote “This shirt made my plants grow so big, I got tired of picking”! 🤣

Glad you liked the Smirk sauces! I’ll tell Hoyt those are hit. As for the sissy sauce, that one is a tradition every year for my Mom. She thinks black pepper is spicy, so I had to come up with a zero heat sauce. Changes every year depending on what peppers that fit the bill. This past year the Aji Campana we picked up in San Jose, CR were perfect for it.

Last edited:
Who’s gotten their seeds wet so far?! @Crazy Monkey anyone get theirs yet? You get yours wet? How many seeds total out of those 6 dried pods in each pack? All stuff I’m interested in knowing! Trying to gauge germination rate on them. If people could bust all the seeds out of the berries, count them and then report updates on germ rate, that would be killer.

Last edited:
Who’s gotten their seeds wet so far?! @Crazy Monkey anyone get theirs yet? You get yours wet? How many seeds total out of those 6 dried pods in each pack? All stuff I’m interested in knowing! Trying to gauge germination rate on them. If people could bust all the seeds out of the berries, count them and then report updates on germ rate, that would be killer.
I will do so and let you know the outcome 👊

Haven't planted mine yet. I'm waiting for the ones I've mailed out to arrive. Dont want to get an unfair head start ;)
But I did separate the seeds from the pods and counted about 80. They are super tiny , and I lost count a few times..lol
0215241846.jpg

Haven't planted mine yet. I'm waiting for the ones I've mailed out to arrive. Dont want to get an unfair head start ;)
But I did separate the seeds from the pods and counted about 80. They are super tiny , and I lost count a few times..lol
0215241846.jpg

Alright. Be honest. Who started counting? :rofl:

LOL ok so i got my seed pack Yesterday, i broke all 6 berrys giving me a total of 32 Seeds, Im starting 6 now, and in 7 days I will start 6 more, that way I can judge what 1 I want to use, I just don't have the room to start that manny seeds right now lol.... but I will be following the rule of what ever plant I pick that's the one I will run with all season... i will post up picks as soon as I get them planted tonight.

As promised here are a few pick of the start of the challenge... my start date and time are as follows. February 19th 2024 at 730pm PST.

Attachments

• 20240219_191900.jpg
    20240219_191900.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 16
  • 20240219_192057.jpg
    20240219_192057.jpg
    221.1 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240219_192140.jpg
    20240219_192140.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 20240219_192759.jpg
    20240219_192759.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 22
LOL ok so i got my seed pack Yesterday, i broke all 6 berrys giving me a total of 32 Seeds, Im starting 6 now, and in 7 days I will start 6 more, that way I can judge what 1 I want to use, I just don't have the room to start that manny seeds right now lol.... but I will be following the rule of what ever plant I pick that's the one I will run with all season... i will post up picks as soon as I get them planted tonight.
You don’t have to grow them all. Would be easy enough to shotgun, mass sow them in the few cells you’re allotting for them, just to gauge germination on the total, then cull mercilessly. If not no worries. I’m sure I’ll be able to judge based on everyone else’s results.
Mine arrived as well, I'll be counting seeds and starting some tomorrow. Thank you, @Crazy Monkey!

Have I understood correctly that it's okay to try a hydro grow for this throwdown? Or is it soil only?
Grow however you want, but once you choose your competitor plant, that’s the plant for the rest of the year. Harvest only from that plant for your weight entries.
Still waiting on USPS.

Officially out of the race.

Back