• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Aji Limon fermented mash

This mash actually got underway back in late July when I made a batch of Kim Chi and sauerkraut using some dried kefir as a starter.
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/23486-fermented-kraut-and-kim-chi-with-kefir/page__view__findpost__p__482540
Now six weeks later...as my Kim Chi supply is dwindling...
IMG_1116.jpg

...the juice is ripe and ready to become a ferment starter for some pepper mash.
My Aji Limon plants produced quite a large bounty this year...
IMG_1088.jpg

....and I've been looking forward to using them in a mash.
So I course chopped approximately (75) Aji pods, 5 or 6 mini carrots, an ounce of dried cranberries along with some garlic....
IMG_1151-1.jpg

....then added the salt and Kim Chi juice.
I decided on using a dry brine approach, so next I mashed and pressed the ingredients for about 5 minutes in a separate container (which helps to break down the cell walls of the peppers and release their natural juices), and then transferred the mash to a jar with an airlock.
IMG_1149.jpg

Within just a few hours...the float inside the airlock was already dancing around like water droplets on a hot skillet.
I'm really looking forward to cracking this one open for a try sometime around Thanksgiving.

Dang that looks good!!!
I see you did not use much salt?
Yes...it does look pretty nice.
I allowed for the salt in the Kim Chi juice and tried to proportionally reduce the amount I added.
I've found that most tested fermenting recipes(and fermentation guru's)call for less salt when using a starter, and since the kefir worked so well for the Kim Chi, I thought I'd give less salt a try.
Since its been less than 24 hours and the mash is already cranking out the CO2,I probably could have added even less salt.
That dried kefir is a find....and I'm indebted to you for bringing it to my attention to begin with.

Put that in the record book. Me being able to give you a tip with fermenting :-)....I just started me another ferment with habs, serr, jalp, and caye. I added some salt, whey from kefir, galic, and some sorghum. Still waiting to get more together of the same kind to make some pure mashes. i guess i am an addicted now

where do you get your dried kefir from? What kind of store would I find it at or is it better to look online

i have noticed it at stores where they sell organic or all natural goods at. However, online may be a cheaper way since you can shop around and do not have to go travel store to store

where do you get your dried kefir from? What kind of store would I find it at or is it better to look online
Greetings RM...
I bought "Yo'gourmet" brand in the health food section of a larger grocery store here in town.
But I have since found it at several health food shops. There were a few other brands on the shelf also.
From what I've read and/or been told by others, you just need to use one that has been freeze dried, because the heat used in the other drying method kills the bacteria we're after.

Back