• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Aji Panca?

oboesushi said:
I am having terrible luck germinating my Aji panca seeds!  I purchased them from Refining Fire Chiles, so I assume it is me that is doing something wrong.  I have them germinating like the rest of my seeds -- soaked in tea for several hours, then folded in a damp paper towel in a baggie, resting on top of my modem.  Can anyone please help?
They shouldn`t be different from any other seeds, in terms of germination time. Sometimes a bad batch of seeds won`t germinate. However, I am not saying Refining Fire Chiles sold you bad seeds. 

My Aji panca seeds germinated in about 8-10 days with zero issues. Not any help to you, I realise, but there isn`t anything different about this variety. The seeds I have came directly from Lima, in Peru.

Aji panca is a C.chinense, by the way. Anything in the cultivated Capsicum family in Peru is called "Aji". Aji Rocoto is a C.pubescens, Aji Pipi de mono is a C.frutescens, Aji pancay is a C.baccatum, Aji cerezo is a C.annuum etc etc etc. 

Fataliis can sometimes be tricky to germinate, in my experience. One year 100% in 12 days, the next year, nothing. 

If you want some different Aji panca seeds to try, PM me. Same for the Fatalii seeds. 

I just read further back. Whoever wrote that Aji colorado is what fresh Aji panca is called is an idiot. 

Aji colorado is a nice red C.baccatum, great for eating fresh. 

I really appreciate the offer, Nigel!
I have had two fatalii finally sprout, these ones look like they will make it.
As for the aji, I will wait a little longer, maybe try one more batch of seed.
What conditions have you found aji to germinate best in?  Do they prefer warm or cool, wet or just damp?

Thanks again!

Just standard conditions for germination. I used a heat mat, temps were around 80°F. Damp, but not wet, Light Warrior seed starting mix. 

Top left are Aji panca. This is roughly 2 weeks after germination.

Nigel said:
They shouldn`t be different from any other seeds, in terms of germination time. Sometimes a bad batch of seeds won`t germinate. However, I am not saying Refining Fire Chiles sold you bad seeds. 

My Aji panca seeds germinated in about 8-10 days with zero issues. Not any help to you, I realise, but there isn`t anything different about this variety. The seeds I have came directly from Lima, in Peru.

Aji panca is a C.chinense, by the way. Anything in the cultivated Capsicum family in Peru is called "Aji". Aji Rocoto is a C.pubescens, Aji Pipi de mono is a C.frutescens, Aji pancay is a C.baccatum, Aji cerezo is a C.annuum etc etc etc. 

Fataliis can sometimes be tricky to germinate, in my experience. One year 100% in 12 days, the next year, nothing. 

If you want some different Aji panca seeds to try, PM me. Same for the Fatalii seeds. 

I just read further back. Whoever wrote that Aji colorado is what fresh Aji panca is called is an idiot. 

Aji colorado is a nice red C.baccatum, great for eating fresh. 

I tried to pm you, but it told me you cannot receive any more messages.

Hello, Nigel

Last month you told me to PM you if I were interested in trying some different Aji Panca and Fatalii seeds.  With no luck on my 5th batch of seeds I think I would like to take you up on this offer.  I seem to have started my seeds a tad late this year, but the flavor of the Aji is definitely worth it!
What should I do to go about getting these seeds?

Thanks,

Oboesushi

Back