• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Aji Panca?

We've got flowers today, right here in the dead of winter! Seems to me that this plant is definitely C. chinense:

AjiPanca 5Jan2012.jpg

My seedlings are definitely looking like chinense now, it is interesting to note that they were much larger sprouts/seedlings than other chinense I have grown.

That's cool Jesse! I can't remember what this one looked like as a seedling...I need to look back at my photos from that time. If you don't mind my asking, where did your Aji Panca seeds come from, and approximately what was your germination rate?

I took my seeds out of dried pods I bought online. They are Zocalo brand from Peru. I had 90 -100% germination after 4 weeks but most of them needed help getting the seed cap off. I got my Amarillo the same way, with similar results, but with less stuck seedcaps. They also have Limo Rojo, but I have had 0% germination with those after 2 months.

Thanks Jesse. That's a really good germination rate. I got a few Limo Rojo seeds from Beth, hopefully they will give me a large harvest.

My Aji Panca plant has been outdoors for about 10 days now, and has quite a few flowers on it. I don't have any idea that they will set fruit, but I am hopeful. The one lonely pod is still the same size and color—I just can't bring myself to pick it.

I grew Aji Limo Rojo from Peppermania seeds (Beth) and they are a really bullet proof variety.
I had a Massive mite attack on my garden and they were bullet proof.

Great producer of cool looking pods.
Green to purple to red.

There are definitely Baccatum and at least 2 chinense versions that I know of:(

I have grown several strains (7 different) of peppers going under this name, most of them were labeled chinense, some baccatum. However, they all turned out to be chinense and I have yet to see a brown ripening baccatum, would love to develop some brown ripening baccatum cultivars.
So have you grown an Aji Panca that also turned out to be a baccatum?

I grew Aji Limo Rojo from Peppermania seeds (Beth) and they are a really bullet proof variety.
I had a Massive mite attack on my garden and they were bullet proof.

Great producer of cool looking pods.
Green to purple to red.

Cool, thanks Smoke...I have several of the "Aji"-named C. chinense varieties in my grow list, and I've been troubling over which one to emphasize. You've solved that problem for me...How is the heat, relative to say, Orange Habanero?

Cool, thanks Smoke...I have several of the "Aji"-named C. chinense varieties in my grow list, and I've been troubling over which one to emphasize. You've solved that problem for me...How is the heat, relative to say, Orange Habanero?

The dry Aji Limo Rojo that I bought I would estimate to be around 80,000 svu. Mild compared to a typical garden grown Habanero. They don't taste or smell anything like most red chinense I have been around. They do have a nice sweetness to them combined with a lingering heat. That is just based on the small sample size of dry pods that I bought. I have never tried a fresh one, and I'm not sure how old the pods are.

Thanks Jesse! That's about what i thought—I was actually considering it for a medium-hot drying pod, like the Thai Chile. With its also being prolific and bulletproof, the Aji Limo Rojo is a prime candidate for that particular slot...

Gary, I grew them this year, but did so in-ground, and too late. I got pods (and it lived through the drought pretty darn well, along with, interestingly, a Thai), but they melted at first freeze.

Not much useful info there, except that the plants are pretty tough, as you've suggested.

I don't think so, the traditional Aji Panca is chinense.

I'll be sure to tell my friend from Bolivia, who lived there for the first 50 years of his life, that he doesn't know what he is talking about.

However, you are correct in regards to traditional Peruvian Aji Pancas.

Are there non-hybrid, brown-ripening annums? You've piqued my curiosity.

Chilhuacle Negro, Pasilla, and Mulato from Mexico.

Gary, I grew them this year, but did so in-ground, and too late. I got pods (and it lived through the drought pretty darn well, along with, interestingly, a Thai), but they melted at first freeze.

Not much useful info there, except that the plants are pretty tough, as you've suggested.

It's hard to beat Thai for a bulletproof, all-purpose, medium-heat drying chile, but the Aji Limo Rojo is looking pretty good...

I'm digging this thread...It's nice to see increased interest in the Peruvian chiles.

It's hard to beat Thai for a bulletproof, all-purpose, medium-heat drying chile, but the Aji Limo Rojo is looking pretty good... I'm digging this thread...It's nice to see increased interest in the Peruvian chiles.

Yeah! I was very impressed by the Aji Omnicolor this year. Incredible production for such a small plant. And great fresh eating/salsas. I suspect its only a matter of time before gourmet chefs around the country discover this peppers and start using them, if not already. I'm going to try and push some on my favorite haunts here next year. Especially if I get 'em in the spring.

I'll be sure to tell my friend from Bolivia, who lived there for the first 50 years of his life, that he doesn't know what he is talking about.

However, you are correct in regards to traditional Peruvian Aji Pancas.

Chilhuacle Negro, Pasilla, and Mulato from Mexico.

Sorry man, didn't want to hurt your feelings - but it would be nice to see some photos and/or grow seeds. It's just that I have been on the lookout for a brown baccatum for many years and have been disappointed so many times, because taxonomy is so bad... So for now it is my belief that a brown baccatum does not exist, I simply need solid proof - please prove me wrong and I shall stand corrected. :halo:

Yeah! I was very impressed by the Aji Omnicolor this year. Incredible production for such a small plant. And great fresh eating/salsas. I suspect its only a matter of time before gourmet chefs around the country discover this peppers and start using them, if not already. I'm going to try and push some on my favorite haunts here next year. Especially if I get 'em in the spring.

Aji Omnicolor is one my absolute favourites too! Nice flavor, good heat and also a very pretty plant. Criolla Sella is another nice and surprisingly early baccatum, I use it for drying and grinding into a powder.

Aji Omnicolor is one my absolute favourites too! Nice flavor, good heat and also a very pretty plant. Criolla Sella is another nice and surprisingly early baccatum, I use it for drying and grinding into a powder.

That's funny, Donnie. My other long-run (third year) baccatum is Criolla Sella.

Back