• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

baccatum Aji White Lightning Bolt

I'm starting this thread so if anyone is wondering what aji white lightning bolt is. I have added these seeds to the trump seed train and will be adding more to another seed train soon.

To those that do not know, last season I received some seeds from a seed train - THP member Bpiela.

They were labeled aji penec, but once they grew out we figured it was either a cross or possibly a mutation. (It's been racking my brain trying to figure out who the dad is.)LOL
Greatfully, we finally figured it out.

(Aji Penec X Aji Melocoton.)
These pods have there own unique shapes to them. They start off as a VERY light green and start turning an off whitish color, then if left long enough, they turn a creamish or very light peachish color. Some not all started to develop a purple hue to the pods only in the late season, around August or september +.
There's VERY little seeds in each pod. I have never noticed any soapy after taste in these. They have a great flavor and have medium baccatum heat.

I've never eaten either aji penec or aji melocoton, so I cannot compare them to this cross.

Below Are Some pictures snd some pods From the plant I grew this season.

I had a fantastic yield from my WLB plant - far more productive than anything else I grew this year.  The plant was about 2' tall with long spreading branches to about 2 1/2' wide.  Branches were loaded with pods.  Green - they were just a lot of bitter heat.  But, once they turned the dark cream color they flavored up nicely with perhaps a bit less heat than when green.  Being an F1, I really did not know what I would see/taste with these peppers.  When I first tasted a green one I thought the plant was just going to be wasted space in my garden.  But once they ripened they proved to be a winner.  I did not eat them raw but sliced some in cooking and mainly made a batch of delicious relish.  I will grow them again next year from saved seed, and perhaps also from the seed I used this year.  Time will tell what the F2 yields.  I will probably keep a plant somewhat isolated from everything else and bring it up through some generations and get something stable.

Pretty promising pepper here, IMO

5MJvzLR.jpg

y3ehTr2.jpg

cone9 said:
I had a fantastic yield from my WLB plant - far more productive than anything else I grew this year.  The plant was about 2' tall with long spreading branches to about 2 1/2' wide.  Branches were loaded with pods.  Green - they were just a lot of bitter heat.  But, once they turned the dark cream color they flavored up nicely with perhaps a bit less heat than when green.  Being an F1, I really did not know what I would see/taste with these peppers.  When I first tasted a green one I thought the plant was just going to be wasted space in my garden.  But once they ripened they proved to be a winner.  I did not eat them raw but sliced some in cooking and mainly made a batch of delicious relish.  I will grow them again next year from saved seed, and perhaps also from the seed I used this year.  Time will tell what the F2 yields.  I will probably keep a plant somewhat isolated from everything else and bring it up through some generations and get something stable.

Pretty promising pepper here, IMO

5MJvzLR.jpg

y3ehTr2.jpg

i purchased a box of pods of this, this year with the sole intention of pinking/peaching it :D

i have intentions to grow this and cross it with several others even though it, itself, is so young 

i want to cross this with Dulce Sol, or my Dulce Sol x Aji Fantasy F1's
in an attempt to make earlier more productive fruiting while keeping in the milder sweeter end of Baccatum crosses
i want to cross this with giant white Hab to give it some heat and hopefully girth too. :)
I will be trying to cross this with Cream Fatalii in attempt to bring some of that peachier-cream color which i originally got from you Cone9, with your cream fatalii seeds.
i may even use it in my various Sugar Rush and Aji Fantasy crosses
and just for fun i will try to cross this with Peach Wasp, and Aribibi x Pink Tiger (pretty curios actually where it would go if it successfully crossed )

i picked up purple flowered chacoense from Italy for next years grow too
my plan is to see how many things i can/want to cross that with...
:D 
I only wish that i had actually grown Aji Penec myself before all this.

Though most of the Aji White Lightning pods i bought seemed as if they were picked a bit early, i can still tell that this cross has potential and will taste even better when allowed to ripen on the plant like sugar rush cream.

I will be following this thread to see where other people attempt to take this fantastic cross as well 
:cheers: 

Dylan unknown said:
Is there any potential for a seed trade on these? I have about 125 different varieties of pepper seeds?

PM your mailing address and I'll send you a few.   I nearly panicked when I first thought of this as I wasn't sure I'd dried any from this year.   But I do have some.  They will be OP seeds from the plant above.  Look over my glogs from the past couple years.  I should have seed for most of those and plenty more varieties.  If you want any others let me know - I can send 5 or 6 just as easily as 1!

I don't really need anything in trade, but....if you have a list to send I'll look it over in case there is something I just can't live without.  Anymore, moderate heat suits me best.

So i got hooked up with some seeds and wanted to post my progress. Of the 6 seeds I sowed, I had 100% germination. Seedlings grew fast and strong are now flowering and setting pods. Biggest pod seams to growing like a normal lightning. the next pod is doing a whole different spiky thing, really cool.

Attachments

• IMG_4105.JPG
    IMG_4105.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_4108.JPG
    IMG_4108.JPG
    163.3 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_4105.JPG
    IMG_4105.JPG
    163 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_41581.JPG
    IMG_41581.JPG
    63.9 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_41911.JPG
    IMG_41911.JPG
    58 KB · Views: 115
  • IMG_42571.JPG
    IMG_42571.JPG
    64.5 KB · Views: 119
Actually, Rick, this cross is so young there really is no normal White Lightning Bolt pepper.  If someone takes the reins and grows it out for eight generations with self pollination it could be considered a stable cross.  I expect, if enough people who have this seed choose to grow it several seasons from their saved seed, we will have a rather broad variety of, maybe similar peppers, being called White Lightning Bolt.  May be interesting to watch.

Guatemalan Insanity Pepper said:

i purchased a box of pods of this, this year with the sole intention of pinking/peaching it :D

i have intentions to grow this and cross it with several others even though it, itself, is so young 

i want to cross this with Dulce Sol, or my Dulce Sol x Aji Fantasy F1's
in an attempt to make earlier more productive fruiting while keeping in the milder sweeter end of Baccatum crosses
i want to cross this with giant white Hab to give it some heat and hopefully girth too. :)
I will be trying to cross this with Cream Fatalii in attempt to bring some of that peachier-cream color which i originally got from you Cone9, with your cream fatalii seeds.
i may even use it in my various Sugar Rush and Aji Fantasy crosses
and just for fun i will try to cross this with Peach Wasp, and Aribibi x Pink Tiger (pretty curios actually where it would go if it successfully crossed )

i picked up purple flowered chacoense from Italy for next years grow too
my plan is to see how many things i can/want to cross that with...
:D 
I only wish that i had actually grown Aji Penec myself before all this.

Though most of the Aji White Lightning pods i bought seemed as if they were picked a bit early, i can still tell that this cross has potential and will taste even better when allowed to ripen on the plant like sugar rush cream.

I will be following this thread to see where other people attempt to take this fantastic cross as well 
GIP,

Are you working on this this season?

cone9 said:
GIP,

Are you working on this this season?
ugh  :mope:  <kicks can...>
I was going to be working on that this season...

I had an entire tray of seedlings go unwatered and die on me this year, my fault entirely, nothing wrong with the seeds or anything.
In addition to not replanting those. Business has been good and we've been busy not a bad thing 
but, We wanted to actually take a mini vacation this year since it's our ten year anniversary this Friday   :party:

So... i kinda let my grow this year be a survival of the fittest type grow :mope: , and I got to a point where I didn't care if something didn't thrive after a transplant, as i knew i would still have a ridiculous number of peppers to plant anyway come plant out time... 
What this led to was; a hodgepodge mix of some very random yet interesting choices of peppers in this years grow. 

I have several completely different phenos of Sugar Rush going, though not as many as i wanted to, and that awesome Orange one you sent me seeds for, will have to wait until next year at this point.
Got some white and yellow aji Fantasies, aji Berry Amarillo, aji Dulce Sol among others overwintered. Unless they end up being one of the few that look like crap and might not bounce back enough to make all the overwintering effort even worth it  :confused:
 no peach wasp, or giant white habs this year <kicks can again  :mope: >
but i think i overwintered one of your cream fatalii's
{i'll have to check and see which overwinters thrived, and which ones didnt}

will be beginning my hardening off process, and will make a list of whats actually in the works for this year after this weekend when we get back from our anniversary fishing trip on Superior  :dance: :dance:  :dance:
wish us luck  :D 

Heres a few better pictures of the spikey one. If these pictures come out sideways I apologize, I dont know how to rotate.

Attachments

• 0E59FACF-65AC-4B98-86D7-C4E238F74FFC.jpeg
    0E59FACF-65AC-4B98-86D7-C4E238F74FFC.jpeg
    62.5 KB · Views: 119
  • 44C93DA6-FA77-44FA-B52B-6F2FCBD71C1F.jpeg
    44C93DA6-FA77-44FA-B52B-6F2FCBD71C1F.jpeg
    50.9 KB · Views: 115
  • AE4DF72C-77EA-4FF6-BE83-04DDD8047BC4.jpeg
    AE4DF72C-77EA-4FF6-BE83-04DDD8047BC4.jpeg
    79.1 KB · Views: 123
  • 775854E3-FE05-409D-AD66-E57F59B15319.jpeg
    775854E3-FE05-409D-AD66-E57F59B15319.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 120
rotate images:
1 - Open a free Imgur account  https://imgur.com/
2 - Upload your image to Imgur   Many editing options including rotate.
3 - Open you image
4 - select edit
5 -  select rotate, then choose the correct orientation and save the image

You can now, when ready, open your image in Imgur and:
1 - right clip and save as to your computer, or
2 - copy BBCode and then paste into your THP thread

IoMtC0t.jpg

A little photo update, plants are doing great. Phenos are all over the place. Going to pick a pheno and attempt to stabilize. I got one plant throwing long skinny pods, kinda cool.
8a5f518852471ae8c6094fb0ee032552.jpg
26b9c926451ea8d35f3d8abac2c68d44.jpg
78ec38c9ddffcd042ce410ef6fe684f0.jpg
573f6ac355b9277488c9f492730ab89b.jpg
bdd6de7c69cc4c41b5acfbf5ce3de3e6.jpg

Here’s the long skinny
ef6ac4bff9be5572cc9434566a383c6d.jpg
82ee649ea11836c738c84e9637adbe79.jpg

I’ll get some current pics up in the next couple days. Thanks and hope you like. First time using Tapatalk, hope pics come out right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BeerInHand said:
Here's my 2018 WLB - Overall a very good year for them. I did end up with one plant throwing a different pheno, which is the last shot.

ePBgFwz.jpg

pzM2CGP.jpg

9tbBsNG.jpg

pkbeC8g.jpg

VQkVv00.jpg
Most Excellent!! Your first pheno is more like the original (Lightning) F1.That second pheno is looking like an Aji Fantasy or Bishops Crown. Very cool, with many different phenos popping up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back