• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Aji Yellow vs. Lemon Drop

A bit OT but I just bought a jar of Aji Amarillo and they are horribly bitter and nearly heatless with no redeeming qualities bar the colour. they look right on par with these.

What source/brand and country of origin were they? Are you talking about dried or pickled? Is it possible they are over a year old? Sounds VERY atypical for true Peruvian (or Chilean/Bolivian) Aji Amarillo. I would find another source before coming to any conclusion.

What source/brand and country of origin were they? Are you talking about dried or pickled? Is it possible they are over a year old? Sounds VERY atypical for true Peruvian (or Chilean/Bolivian) Aji Amarillo. I would find another source before coming to any conclusion.

They are pickled. I don't have the jar on me but they are from a Mexican grocery store around here. Expensive too! Not much of their produce finds it way down here.

EDIT: Found 'em!
http://www.thelatinproducts.com/goya-yellow-hot-whole-peppers-aji-amarillo-entero-12-oz/

Definitely don't judge the aji amarillo based on your experience with those. I may be mistaken, but I believe aji amarillo is not traditionally used in the pickled form (and there may be a reason for that), usually they are used fresh or dried and in salsa or a paste

Back