• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

AJs 2009 Grow List

*raises hand has questions*

ummm does this mean you have no yard left? do your neighbors think your crazy? ("there's AJ tending his crop, I think he's gone crazy.")
and lastly - do you realize that your going to need an commercial size dehydrator to dry all the pods like this : Commercial Deydrator (this one has 56 sq ft of space!)

peter pepper said:

ummm does this mean you have no yard left? do your neighbors think your crazy? ("there's AJ tending his crop, I think he's gone crazy.")

Hey, it's not all bad being the odd neighbor. I mean, you get used to that wary look, or the glassy-eyed stare when you talk about your peppers and lizards and snakes.

And if I had to bury a body, no one would blink if I brought in a back hoe and started digging.

AlabamaJack said:
thanks all...

CH...if I get any more land I would have to hire help...this years garden is going to be the biggest I have ever grown (and the most work)....

I haven't tried the Foodarama Scotch Bonnet before...I heard Potawie and I think Pam talking about it last year and when I was ordering seeds, I came across it and ordered some...

:uggh: I thought that "Foodarama" Scotch Bonnett was the figurative name for the pepper. Meaning that you bought a Scotch Bonnett from the food store called "Foodarama", saved the seeds and are now growing those seeds. I did't realize that there was an actual Foodarama Scotch Bonnett variety. :oops:

Pam said:
Not Pam.

I haven't grown any Scotch Bonnets in years.

well it was Potawie and somebody else...just don't remember but I do remember it was Potawie...oh well..

peter pepper said:

and lastly - do you realize that your going to need an commercial size dehydrator to dry all the pods like this : Commercial Deydrator (this one has 56 sq ft of space!)

yes, to all the above.....probably will get another 9 tray excalibur and this year I will split the pods...it took forever last year to dehydrate whole pods...

DownRiver said:
Nice list AJ. Just curious how many are NEW to your garden this year and how many are repeats from previous years. I like looking at peoples "repeat" list because folks generally don't grow 'em again if they didn't like 'em the first time:).

I looked at the list DR and I am only growing about 35 from last year...I grew a bunch of stuff that I didn't really want or need...and too many of the same from different suppliers...but what I did find was this...

1. Bhuts/Nagas/Dorsets/7 Pot/Trinidad corpion/Fataliis are late season producers but produce a lot here in north Texas

2. Jalapeno M produced the best for me this past year...the plants were absolutely loaded even until the first freeze in December...and Serrano del Sol is a great producer if you want jalapeno hot serranos...not again...I wanted more heat for my pico.

3. The best growing and producing cayenne pepper out of 8 varieties I grew was the Cayenne Super Hybrid II...6" long peppers a little bigger than a pencil and pretty good heat for a cayenne.

4. I needed more cascabels as only one plant survived but grew too many different "Anaheim like" chilis and will stick with the straight anaheim and NuMex Sandias..

5. I love Tabasco peppers and use them to make pepper sauce out of for my turnip greens...problem was 17 Tabasco plants was waaaaayyy too many...3 or 4 will do...

6. Don't buy seeds from Ebay unless you know the person you are dealing with.

enough ramblin'

We need to turn you on to more baccatuum varieties, I think you would enjoy their fruity flavor, a different fruity than a hab, but still really nice. Oh, I know, you're full this year, but think about a few for next year.

Pam said:
We need to turn you on to more baccatuum varieties, I think you would enjoy their fruity flavor, a different fruity than a hab, but still really nice. Oh, I know, you're full this year, but think about a few for next year.

aren't Manzanos baccatums?...I got regular Monzanos, Red Monzanos, and Yellow Monzanos germinating now...matter of fact, they may be up...

:off to look at my babies:

OK...right pubescens...

yup, I grew the lemon drop last year...didn't do too well...I will have to look for more next season...

I'm in AWE, AJ. What it must be like to have that kind of land and capabilities. Do you set up a stand to sell the plants? The peppers? The products you produce from the peppers?

And one question about your list, you include Scorpions and Trinidad Scorpions. Are they two varieties of the same pepper?

I will be really interested to see those pictures once you set it all up. This will be great!

AlabamaJack said:
well it was Potawie and somebody else...just don't remember but I do remember it was Potawie...oh well..

I've never grown the Scotch bonnet(foodarama) yet but I believe this strain has been circulating around certain pepper growing forums for a few years, which is where Beth would have recieved them. From what I here they are quite good, but these days nothing seems to compare to the Scotch Bonnet TFM.

Oh well...I hope they produce and taste good...

Back