• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

AJ's Back Yard Nutrient Station

AlabamaJack

eXtreme
I found a 35 gallon plastic coke syrup barrel for 12 bucks...bought one....decided to use it to mix nutrients in.

Originally put it on the wood pile for height to see if this would feed the whole yard using a 100 foot 5/8" garden hose...shows construction start and original position of barrel...

050408a001.jpg

Yup...it worked so I decided to make it a permanent fixture of the back yard...I am calling it AJ's Nutrient Station...

050408a005.jpg

Even made a shelf for my nutrients and measuring devices/funnels

050408a006.jpg

and no Nutrient Station is complete without its own Ice Chest...

050408a007.jpg

It takes about 140 gallons to feed all my plants giving them 1/2 gallon at a time...will feed every watering as recommended by botanicare...but will use about half strenght nutrients...

As always: awesome, man!!! You are simply amazing! You're slowly but surely setting up a chili peppers factory! I'm sure that within one year's time it'll become impossible to call it a garden anymore! :)

Thanks all...just keeping busy and trying to make the most of my time...I have another project today also and that is to set up a rain barrel collection point...going to get 3 55 gallon plastic barrels (for 14 each) and try and complete that project today too...oh yeah, the Nutrient center is built out of scrap and the wife loves it...

Make it even more professional by storing the basics and mix them by yourself. a shelf for minerals, a shelf for hormones and one for everything else. :D

Omri said:
Make it even more professional by storing the basics and mix them by yourself. a shelf for minerals, a shelf for hormones and one for everything else. :D

Haven't thought of that Omri...but really a good suggestion...

Wow AJ how impressed am I!! I must admit I find it a pain feeding al my plants! your set up makes short work of it! Brilliant!

It's been a very productive weekend...

OK...went back to the place I got the 35 gallon drum and got 3 55 gallon drums for $16 each...then went to Home Depot and got plumbing...cost about the same as the barrels and here is what I got...

Barrels in place...

050408b001.jpg

Job Finished...plumbing successful...(so far)

050408b005.jpg

View looking north...

050408b006.jpg

View looking south...

050408b007.jpg

I feel good today....got a lot accomplished toward the garden...

I can now store 165 gallons of rainwater....

Supposed to rain within the next few days and it will be interesting to see how much rain a 24 foot wide drainage lenghth of the back portion of the roof will shed..plus the 12 foot width of the patio awning...

Have a great day folks...

ps....wife went with me and got 4 parakeats, cage, and all the gear...she is happy...

AJ,

You have the energy of a 30-man fire department put together! I'm rethinking the size of the store you will need to open - originally, I figured about 1,200 sq. ft. would be large enough. Now I'm thinking at least 5,000!

I'd be honored to do your web site for free - just so I can say I know you!!!

But a question (isn't there always?). A half gallon of water at a time? I understand containers will not hold moisture near as well as the ground does, but this seems to be akin to a couple two or three inches of rain at a time. Is this something you studied or tried before, of just a point to start from?

Mike

from what I have read Mike...you are supposed to deep water the plants...if you don't deep water them it will cause the roots to be shallow...you are right, I figured 1/2 gallon per plant will be between 1-2 inches rain....I do "touch up" water but with regular water...the solution I am using is very dilute so I can feed them each time I water...the continers drain well but this soil really holds the moisture great...I am sure I will have to water more often this summer....

I had too much rain last year and it hurt my crop...just don't want to make the same mistake this year by overwatering....right now, I am watering about every 4-5 days....

Really nice set up AJ kinda reminds me of a still. LOL You will be surprised at the amount of water you are going to get off the house and shed. I have a 55 gallon next to my garden that I dip water out of and the cattle drink from and it seems to fil after every rain. I too had to much rain last year hopefully alot better this year. And oh the tornados went around and west so we got another Blessing thank goodness Can you send me the nutrients you are using so I can see if I can get them up here.

Great job AJ
My father did the same collection from roof to the barrel ,but his were almost completely in the ground for easy water removal- there was no electricity where his garden was,
I commend you on your great achievement
Could you please describe what nutrients you are using ,it is hard to see them all from picture-I will visit hydroponic store shortly and it would help to decide what to buy,you already know if nutrients are working and which is giving you good best results
thanks
regards
Andy

okie joe said:
Really nice set up AJ kinda reminds me of a still. Can you send me the nutrients you are using so I can see if I can get them up here.

andy999 said:
Great job AJ. Could you please describe what nutrients you are using ,it is hard to see them all from picture-I will visit hydroponic store shortly and it would help to decide what to buy,you already know if nutrients are working and which is giving you good best results
thanks
regards
Andy

OJ/Andy...scroll down on the link below until you see close up pics of the Botanicare products...one is for vegetative and one is for fruiting/flowering...I also use Liquid Karma (another botanicare product) with the fertilize...forgot to add, I use superthrive mixed with the fertilizers too...

http://www.thehotpepper.com/blog.php?b=36

DrHavanger said:
You've got a way to collect water and mix it, how are you going distribute it to your plants?

I have a 100 foot 5/8" garden hose for the nutrient center that I drag around to each plant...the gravity feed is just perfect...

I will use a "bilge pump" for moving the rain water to the nutrient barrel...drop the bilge pump in the rainbarrel, connect the battery and watch the water fill the nutrient station up after I have mixed in the fertilizers...

:shocked::shocked: WOW!!! I know you described what you where doing earlier, I just didn't imagine or comprehend the extent that you were going. IT LOOKS AWSOME...Great job, pretty soon you'll be setting up your own pepper nursery...:think:

Back