• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

AJ's Back Yard Nutrient Station

That is amazing you fill up all three barrels in just 30 minutes. Your rain water runoff catch system seems to work perfectly. That should be enough storage water for a couple weeks what ya think? I really questioned how much water actually ran out our gutters, more than I thought.

it really amazed me PRF...I had no clue...going to get more rain this evening and I am thinking about getting another barrel....

am trying to hook up the transfer pump now...a 500 gph bilge pump just doesn't have enough pressure behind it to raise the water 6'...going to get a 1750 gph right now..

Back in a while.....

Hey AJ,

so the bilge pump moves the water into the barrel. What are you using to agitate/mix the nutrients in the barrel?

For moving the water, have you considered a small 12V fuel pump?

If you want to calculate the water catchment of your roof, there is plenty of metric ones here in oz.
Click here for one that I remember. Just scroll down to the bottom and enter the data.

RS

great site Ring Sting...I am figuring I am catching water off 41 sq Meters. Comes out to over 1000 liters so 250+ gallons. thanks for that site...

Bilge pumps won't work...have to pump the water through a 50' hose and up about 8 feet. got a fountain pump that said 5 gallons per minute with a 10 foot rise....bull sh**...won't fill my nutrient barrel...will go tomorrow and get a real pump....gasoline powered that will move some water...

as far as mixing nutrients, I plan on using the flow when I transfer to the nutrient barrel from the rain barrels to mix and stir it up...will only mix what I need when I need it...

Aha,

I finally re-found this thread. I recalled seeing the pictures before but couldn't recall the details.

Since I have a great project, raising all types of veggies in a 4'x50-80' raised bed, I need to set up a water collection system. I figure I need about 150 gallons of water to cover 240 sq. ft. of space and provide what equals roughly an inch of rain. Six barrels would give me enough for two weeks, three weeks if we get an inch of rain to replenish the barrels.

But questions about your design: did you find that the hose that runs from the highest barrel to the next one was large enough to handle a short, heavy downpour. I'm hoping, if I can find some company to add gutters to the building or something similar, to have 60 feet long by probably 15 feet wide of roofing area. That's a lot of water to run through what looks to be about a 2" pipe. Last year was an aberration, and we had slow, steady rainfalls in July and August (plus it was far wetter than normal). Usually, though, we get downpours for a few minutes and then no rain for another week or two. I'm wondering what size "spillover" hose I would need.

Of course, I can always hope that someone just donates a 500 gallon tank and let all the water run into it (wouldn't that be sweet!) but I'm not counting on it.

Mike

Awesome. The great thing about threads like this is that AJ has already done the work for us. I would like to catch water like that myself only my garden is not close to the house. I guess I could stick the rain collectors on pallets and then pick the pallet up with tractor.

Good Job and it looks nice to.

I need to learn more about this fertilizing business.

MIke...that hose will handle as much rain as goes into the barrel...so far I have not had the top barrel run over...with all the plants I have, that 150 gallons last me about 2 waterings then I am out...with the lack of rain we have here in the summer, it is almost not worth the effort....

thankd MJD

i have four 55 gal plastic barrels all piped together to a single suction line into a 1/2 hp pool pump, also have 200' rubber hose 7/8" to the raised beds.work great for me. your set up is great wish you were around when i started, have lots fun growing.

Back