• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Alex_K 2022 - Fruits/Vegetables

Guabiraba aka. Palillo or Chamba - (Campomanesia lineatifolia)

This fruit is native to the Amazon rainforest of Peru, Brazil and Colombia, unfortunately it is another fruit that is not commercially available, you will not find it on supermarket shelves here unless you live in the Amazon region.
Juices, jams and liqueurs can be made with the fruit, fresh it has a sour and sweet taste and its smell is very intense when ripe, almost like a perfume a good perfume!

rVeRlC.jpg

rVeTX5.jpg

rVekrz.jpg

rVe64T.jpg

rVeCNb.jpg

rVeQi7.jpg

rVeVdr.jpg

rVe9LF.jpg

rVeda3.jpg

Jabuticaba "Sabará" aka. Brazilian grapetree (Plinia cauliflora)

Native to the Atlantic Forest it is one of the most popular fruits in home gardens it is one of my favorite fruits too, it is sweet and juicy and fun to eat, you squeeze it and it pops in your mouth revealing its white pulp.
The Sabará variety is the most common and most productive, considered by many to have the best flavor too, the fruits have a thick black skin and small dark green leaves and the tree can reach up to 10 meters in height.
If planted from seed, it can take up to 12 years to produce the first fruits, normally bears fruit only 3 times a year, it is eaten fresh or made into very tasty jams and liqueurs.

rHXAlT.jpg

rHXjr7.jpg

rHX04r.jpg

rHXgi3.jpg

rHXrd0.jpg

rHX1aq.jpg

rHXT6A.jpg

rHXElM.jpg

rHXCra.jpg

rHXJ4e.jpg

Jabuticaba Híbrida aka. Brazilian grapetree Hybrid/Early (Plinia X cauliflora)

The hybrid variety has fruits with thinner skin and reddish black color, the leaves are larger and light green in color and the tree does not exceed 4 meters in height.
The fruits are sweet and succulent like the "Sabara" variety but the flavor is slightly different.
If planted from seed, this variety starts to produce fruit in 3 to 4 years and despite producing less than the Sabará variety, it produces almost all year round, as long as the climate is warm and water is available.

rHX9ix.jpg

rHXddH.jpg

rHXqM1.jpg

rHXBac.jpg

rHXs6K.jpg

rHX3zZ.jpg

rHX4bP.jpg

rHXptm.jpg

Goya aka. Bitter melon, Nigauri - (Momordica charantia)

This is the white variety of Bitter Melon.
As a child I couldn't stand the bitterness and ate only for the alleged medicinal properties, now I can eat and I even appreciate it, it's something you acquire taste or not! I think 90% of people who try it for the first time will hate it! 🤮

rUzJtC.jpg

rUzVPz.jpg

rUzdjT.jpg

Australian Finger Lime aka. Caviar Lime (Citrus australasica)

Interesting variety of lime from Australia, small leaves, branches covered by thorns and elongated fruits, this plant I grown it from a seed I have only the green pulp variety I think there are varieties with red, pink or purple pulp 😲 unfortunately I don't know how to use it in other way than spreading a little over sushi or ceviche.

tAlB52.jpg

tAlqn9.jpg

tAlsTv.jpg

tAl3OC.jpg

tAl4U5.jpg

tAlpZz.jpg

tAl7sT.jpg

tAlOub.jpg

tAllA7.jpg

tAlzVr.jpg

Yuzu (Citrus junos)

I love the smell of this lemon, the zest and juice goes well in tea, desserts... Essential for making ponzu sauce or yuzukosho.
The branches are covered with large thorns and the leaves are "doubled" like other wild citrus.

tAlSnF.jpg

tAle53.jpg

tAlvE0.jpg

tAlLOD.jpg

tAlMcq.jpg

tAlogA.jpg

tAlusM.jpg

These are just a few herbs I'm growing at the moment... Some just to try and some for everyday use in dishes.

Shiso or Perilla is used extensively in Japanese cuisine, currently I have 3 varieties the red one used to make ice tea and Umeboshi the ruffled green one for Sushi and Tempura and the Britton variety which has bicolor leaves green on top and purple on bottom.

Red Shiso (Perilla frutescens purpurea)

tCaCTa.jpg

Ruffled Green Shiso (Perilla frutescens viridi-crispa)

tCak5Q.jpg

Britton Perilla (Perilla frutescens discolor)

tCaEnM.jpg

Occasionally making some Indian dishes like curries I ended up buying this Curry tree plant, but I confess that I rarely use it, because it has a very strong aroma, I found it difficult to balance its pungency with another ingredients in the dish. I think I need to find a better recipe to use this herb!

Curry Tree (Murraya koenigii)

tCaJOe.jpg

tCaQck.jpg

tCa9Zx.jpg

tCadsH.jpg

The Quirquiña I got seeds as a gift when I made a purchase of pepper seeds from an American seller, it smells like a mixture of rue and cilantro/coriander and I haven't used since!!! 🤢 I think it's used in Mexican and Bolivian cuisine.

Quirquiña (Porophyllum ruderale)

tCaqD1.jpg

tCamAc.jpg

Lovage is one of my favorite herbs... 😍

Lovage (Levisticum officinale)

tCasVK.jpg

Finally... I am growing some varieties of basil too the Cardinal Basil is suitable for culinary and ornamental purposes as it produces a large flower head, it is very similar to Thai Basil with a strong anise scent. The Blue Spice Basil as the name imply have scent of spices and vanilla and has hairy leaves and branches, the Alfavaca do Campo despite being native to Brazil is less known to people in general compared to the Italian Sweet Basil here, have a grassy and peppery scent.
The Married Man Pork Basil (Thanks to @Wiriwiri ) variety from Guyana, I haven't tried it yet because they are still small, it seems to be essential in many dishes in the country I'm excited to try!

Sweet Basil (Ocimum basilicum)

tCa3vZ.jpg

Cardinal Basil (Ocimum basilicum)

tCalg9.jpg

tCaz32.jpg

tCaOco.jpg

Blue Spice Basil (O. basilicum × americanum)

tCa45P.jpg

tCapEm.jpg

tCa7Hi.jpg

Alfavaca do Campo (Ocimum campechianum)

tChrbi.jpg

tChglm.jpg

Married Man Pork Basil (Ocimum basilicum ?)

tCaSDv.jpg

Nice selection of Basil you have...glad to see the MM pork basil enjoying the South American
weather...that is used in many dishes in Guyana as you so rightly noted...any luck with the wilds?

Resurrecting the thread! 🙃
A few more plants from my garden...

Feijoa aka. Pineapple Guava (Feijoa sellowiana)

Feijoa is a native fruit from the south of Brazil and also found in the north of Argentina, Uruguay and Paraguay, when I brought it I didn't have much hope that it would bear fruit here since it needs at least a few weeks of moderate cold in winter, however this is the third year producing in container so I got lucky!
I think it has already been introduced in some US states and in New Zealand where it is produced on a large scale.
In addition to producing sweet fruits that resemble a mixture of guava, pineapple and banana (they are really delicious), the plant itself has ornamental value, producing very beautiful red flowers.

TFVNPQ.jpeg

TFVfia.jpeg

TFVFde.jpeg

TFVUMk.jpeg

TFVcax.jpeg

TFVb6H.jpeg

TFVwz1.jpeg

TFVxbc.jpeg

TFVGKZ.jpeg

Yuzu (Citrus junos)

I picked some Yuzus to make a yuzu/honey marmalade that will be great to make a tea in the winter to come...

TFVaPP.jpeg

These last two are not my, they were bought in a kind of 'farmers market' (not necessarily from farmers, most are resellers! 😅) here in the city. I just thought it was interesting to post here.

Jaca aka. Jackfruit (Artocarpus heterophyllus)

It is not a native fruit from here but it is very common throughout the country and I think that many here have already tried it too. The fruit is massive and has an interesting appearance very sweet and with a very strong aroma that is difficult to describe, some love it and others hate it. The fruit can be consumed in many ways, it can be eaten as a vegetable when immature, when ripe it can be eaten raw or made into sweets or juices and the numerous seeds can be roasted or boiled to be consumed too.

TF92jm.jpeg

TF98qi.jpeg

TF9AMo.jpeg

TF9Wh9.jpeg

Umbu aka. Imbu (Spondias tuberosa)

This tree is very important in northeastern Brazil, mainly in the dry/semi-desert region where it thrives, its tuberous roots manage to accumulate a large amount of water and thus manage to survive in these harsh conditions.
Its fruits are great to be consumed raw, mixed with milk or made into ice cream and even its leaves can be consumed and can complement meals poor in vitamins and proteins or as food for livestock and its roots can be collected to extract water in case of scarcity, as it happens often in these regions that can go for months and even more than a year without any rain.

TF9jC2.jpeg

TF90zv.jpeg

TF9IwC.jpeg

TF9gt5.jpeg

Back