• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Alex_K 2022 - Fruits/Vegetables

Living close (nearby city) to the nursery of one of the biggest tropical fruit collectors in Brazil, I was able to buy some rare fruits from here and other tropical countries.

Grumixama-anã (Eugenia itaguahiensis)

This fruit is native from Atlantic Forest and is considered to be in a vulnerable situation in its natural habitat due to intense ubanization and consequent destruction of the forest.
This variant is (anã) dwarf and does not grow much and can be cultivated in a container. Due to little dissemination of the species and no commercialization, it is unknown even to most Brazilians.
Its fruits are small cherry like, almost black when ripe, the watery yellow pulp is sweet and slightly acidic, reminding Jaboticaba aka. Brazilian Grape Tree, another Brazilian fruit.

gDIDN9.jpg

gDIf9v.jpg

gDIFLC.jpg

gDIXkz.jpg

gDIwXb.jpg

gDI54r.jpg

gDIhi3.jpg

gDZ2d0.jpg

gDZAaq.jpg

gDZjlM.jpg

Bacuparí-mirim (Garcinia brasiliensis)

In the past, this fruit could be found throughout Brazil, but due to urbanization it is currently only found in parks and forest areas that remained preserved.
This is the "mirim" variety, which in the Tupi-Guarani language means "small" so it can be cultivated in container.
The fruit is small and round, its flavor is very similar to mangosteen but more intense and slightly acidic.
As there is no commercial interest, it is another fruit that is unknown to many Brazilians.

gDZ66K.jpg

gDZJbP.jpg

gDZVtm.jpg

gDZdPo.jpg

gDZsMv.jpg

gDZK65.jpg

Garcinia brasiliensis reminds me of G. humilis (achachairú), which is grown here for local consumption. I like the fruit a lot, but it's a shame that it's seed is so big. You probably have run accross this species as well, though you may know it by another name.

Great to see you doing a thread like this on THP Alex,it reminds of the old threads I used to read and discuss with our old friends on the pimentas forum sad that it's gone.
Sad that Bacuparí-mirim is now so rarely seen in Brazil even twenty years ago it was still everywhere and spoke to many who grew it.
Obrigado meu amigo for showing us more treasures from your beautiful country please carrying on doing it.🙂

Garcinia brasiliensis reminds me of G. humilis (achachairú), which is grown here for local consumption. I like the fruit a lot, but it's a shame that it's seed is so big. You probably have run accross this species as well, though you may know it by another name.

The name of the fruit is exactly the same here "Achachairu" I've already tasted and I liked it too! the taste of the two fruits are very similar, even their appearance is similar, but Bacupari is half the size, most of the Achachairu here are imported from Bolivia and Peru, it seems that some producers are starting to grow the species here in Brazil but are still litle pricey. ☹️

Very interesting, Alex. You live in a great horticultural area!

The problem is that I don't have space to have more fruits here! 😄

Great to see you doing a thread like this on THP Alex,it reminds of the old threads I used to read and discuss with our old friends on the pimentas forum sad that it's gone.
Sad that Bacuparí-mirim is now so rarely seen in Brazil even twenty years ago it was still everywhere and spoke to many who grew it.
Obrigado meu amigo for showing us more treasures from your beautiful country please carrying on doing it.🙂

I didn't know you participated in the Brazilian forum, it's really sad that ended up, as it was the only forum about peppers in portuguese.
There I met very nice people like Neyde Hidalgo (the woman who discovered the Pimenta da Neyde) Werner Mathi, and many others who contributed to the great variety of peppers we have today. I have good memories.
Too bad all my photos there were deleted because I didn't have backup of most of them! 😢

The name of the fruit is exactly the same here "Achachairu" I've already tasted and I liked it too! the taste of the two fruits are very similar, even their appearance is similar, but Bacupari is half the size, most of the Achachairu here are imported from Bolivia and Peru, it seems that some producers are starting to grow the species here in Brazil but are still litle pricey. ☹️

The problem is that I don't have space to have more fruits here! 😄

I didn't know you participated in the Brazilian forum, it's really sad that ended up, as it was the only forum about peppers in portuguese.
There I met very nice people like Neyde Hidalgo (the woman who discovered the Pimenta da Neyde) Werner Mathi, and many others who contributed to the great variety of peppers we have today. I have good memories.
Too bad all my photos there were deleted because I didn't have backup of most of them! 😢
Neyde Hidalgo and Werner where good friends over many years and yes I was active there at pimentas for many years and new the owners and Admins well and had many other friends there and some that where active there where active here at THP.

Miracle Fruit/Miracle Berry (Synsepalum dulcificum)

This time an african fruit... I think everyone remember this berry! A few years ago it was a trending topic on youtube channels and on social media with challenges and taste tests! As far as I know, they even created a pill with the active substance of the fruit.
And yes... this fruit makes everything that is sour overly sweet, lemon, lime, pineapple, plums, vinegar is like magic! 😃
It's ironic that when you taste the fresh miracle fruit the first sensation in your mouth is the sour taste which then turns sweet and makes any sour things sweet!

gf69Dc.jpg

gf6qWK.jpg

gf6mvP.jpg

gf6sGm.jpg

gf6KHo.jpg

gf6pX9.jpg

gf6H3v.jpg

Ive grown the same giant red mustard from Baker Creek for a few years now. They seem to attract a lot less pests than the other greens. They're also slightly thicker leaved than the mustard variety and cook down very well. Low bitterness. And they look gorgeous once they really take on their true red color.

Ive grown the same giant red mustard from Baker Creek for a few years now. They seem to attract a lot less pests than the other greens. They're also slightly thicker leaved than the mustard variety and cook down very well. Low bitterness. And they look gorgeous once they really take on their true red color.

Good to know that I make a right choice with Japanese Giant Red Mustard...
It has been interesting experience growing them 👍

Some spices and herbs I grow here...

I love Thai cuisine but here in Brazil it's practically impossible to find a restaurant that serves authentic Thai dishes.
That's why I have to prepare the dishes myself, but it's very difficult to find the ingredients, especially the fresh ones.
Lemongrass, lime, cilantro, culantro, mint, chili peppers, coconut milk are easy to find here, others not so much, such as makrut lime which I ordered from the nursery of rare plants, and Thai and Holy basil which I imported the seeds from United States.
The most challenging was the galangal, I had to import seeds directly from Thailand, it took 6 months to arrive and it took another 6 to germinate, I had never germinated anything from the Zingiberaceae family as they are usually propagated by rhizome but in the end it was rewarding!

Galangal aka. Lengkuas (Alpinia galanga)

ghkvkk.jpg

ghkLHx.jpg

Lemongrass (Cymbopogon citratus)

ghkMXH.jpg

ghkor1.jpg

Culantro aka. Sawtooth coriander or Recao (Eryngium foetidum)

ghkONA.jpg

Spearmint (Mentha spicata)

ghklWM.jpg

Awesome fruits & herbs Alex....fantastic photos...
Know a few of the fruits ..I've seen them in Guyana when I was there a while back.

Grew Culantro and have some Holy Basil & one with a strange name from Guyana called "MARRIED MAN PORK"...lord
what a name:P..Culantro does not like bright light as that encourage it to go to seed...grew mine in the shade and
it did a lot better..live & learn:D
I grow my Spearmint in a container as in is so invasive....like horseradish...that takes the prize when it comes to invasion.
Nice weather you have the in your corner of the world...here it's cold but no snow :shocked: don't need that.Keep posting
your stuff...all nice.
Cheers. Sandy

Awesome fruits & herbs Alex....fantastic photos...
Know a few of the fruits ..I've seen them in Guyana when I was there a while back.

Grew Culantro and have some Holy Basil & one with a strange name from Guyana called "MARRIED MAN PORK"...lord
what a name:P..Culantro does not like bright light as that encourage it to go to seed...grew mine in the shade and
it did a lot better..live & learn:D
I grow my Spearmint in a container as in is so invasive....like horseradish...that takes the prize when it comes to invasion.
Nice weather you have the in your corner of the world...here it's cold but no snow :shocked: don't need that.Keep posting
your stuff...all nice.
Cheers. Sandy

Haha! what a name for an herb! 🤔 Here in Brazil we also have a big cactus that I think has the same name in US called "Cadeira de sogra" (transl. Mother-in-law's chair)! 😆
About the culantro it's really complicated, it keeps releasing flowers, whenever possible I cut the flowers but it doesn't improve much, I'll try to move it in a more shaded place and maybe change the fertilization regime to stimulate the vegetation.
Yeah I'll keep posting pictures here, I think it can help someone to identify a plant or even instigate someone to grow something.

Looking forward to seeing your plants when spring comes in your corner! 🙂

Cheers!

Snake Gourd (Trichosanthes cucumerina var. anguina)

The Snake Gourd is climbing my house like crazy soon the vine will hit the roof! 😳 I didn't imagine it would grow so much because it was planted in a container, it tastes very nice, for me taste a little like zucchini but is crunch, good in vegetables stir fry.

rIB06r.jpg

rIBia7.jpg

rIBWLb.jpg

rTc045.jpg

rIqwko.jpg

That's snakish for sure Alex...how long do they get..and are they just ornamental or for cooking?
Have you grown luffa another gourd?

That's snakish for sure Alex...how long do they get..and are they just ornamental or for cooking?
Have you grown luffa another gourd?
Yep it's a edible vegetable in unripe stage I think it's common in countries like India, Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Indonesia and South China. When ripe have some ornamental value because the bright red color but turn very bitter and is not edible anymore.
Mine have grown to the size of a baseball bat, but I think if planted straight in the ground it can produce much larger pods.
It's the first time I grow anything like that even because I live in an ordinary house in an urban area I don't really have space but out of my curiosity I end up trying to plant things that are not suitable for my small garden!!! 😔

What I can do!? 🤷‍♂️ 😁

Back