• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Am I a panzy or is...

HotPeppas

Banned
Wilburs revenge bbq sauce at famous daves FREAKIN insanely hot?

I started dipping my fries in and for a bit then took a break then it hit me. Hit me like a break upside the head. Extreme mouth pain i felt 20 degress hotter. Even cold foods became mouth burning hot. The pain didnt go away for like 20 min. Needless to say i didnt enjoy my meal and i didnt get to eat it all :(

I've never tried it, but I can't imagine Famous Dave's having anything FREAKIN insanely hot. I could be wrong though...I might have to stop in there soon just out of curiosity.

I tried the "hot" sauce from the location in NY and it wasn't that bad. I think they use habs, but not sure if the sauce was the "wilburs revenge" or not.

we ate at famous daves all the time in tennessee,and i believe you are just a panzy,haha....

i cant remember what sauces i would use but i dont rememeber anything being hot,also dont recall a wilbur but i use to drink alot bacjk then, :rofl:

"bacjk then"... :rofl:

I've been there several times and don't recall anything more than slightly spicy. It's been a while though. I'm guessing Wilbur's Revenge is a new sauce. It doesn't ring a bell, but yeah, prolly not that hot.

Hey HotPeppas, is it on every table, or do you have to ask for it? If it's on every table, you are probably just a bit of a panzy. No offense. :P

Yeah its on the tables. Yeah must be a panzy im not used to anything hotter than say franks red or tapitio. Which im sure rank way on the bottom of scovilles

I had Wilbur's Revenge a few weeks ago at a friends. He brought it back from there in a styrofoam container. I slathered some on some ribs that we were eating. It definitely has a kick to it, but it wasn't unbearable. It is made with habs... at least that is what they told my friend.

HotPeppas was it just like hell fire or could you taste the food ? I ask, because the larger majority of the THP ,including myself will eat burning embors, if they taste great ! I think if it was to hot for you its a learning curve. So build your tolerance and concentrate on flavor !

Well it was hell fire with a hint of deja vu. Ive read people saying this sauce was not hot for them. So clearly i cannot comment

But i did get a taste it for 5 seconds until the heat blew out the ol crapbox. It taste good to me. But im a bbq fanatic and love all bbq sauces.

I cant be a good judge :P

Ok so it was decent tasting. It takes a little while to build up a heat tolerance. Maybe try mixing it with a milder sauce. The majority of us have discovered how wonderful the superhots taste.

Okay, I just found this post tonight after going to Dave's Famous bbq. Let me preface by saying that my tolerance is the highest it has ever been.  I use Butch T sauces and ghost sauces on a regular basis and am no stranger to heat. I saw the Wilbur's Revenge listed on the menu and asked to try it.  The waiter mistook my inquiry as "have my wings made with the sauce" instead of on the side as I wanted.  Well anyways, I asked again for them to bring the bottle out and I squeezed out a nice sized glob on some rib and it wasn't too hot, had a nice flavor and nice heat but easily bearable. I used it again several times on different items and it was the same, not too hot. So then I reached for my wings which I did not know were made with this sauce and the first wing burnt my mouth half-way to hell!  Each wing afterwards was equally as punishing and I had to have at least a one minute intermission between wings before I could continue.  I looked up the sauce on the internet and was expecting to see extract or morugas or something crazy in there, but habaneros?  In the bottled sauce, sure.  But whatever was in the sauce the did my wings with was different.  I think there may have been a chef with a sense of humor and a bottle of extract in the kitchen, because there was no way in hell the two sauces were the same.

Jolokia John said:
Okay, I just found this post tonight after going to Dave's Famous bbq. Let me preface by saying that my tolerance is the highest it has ever been.  I use Butch T sauces and ghost sauces on a regular basis and am no stranger to heat. I saw the Wilbur's Revenge listed on the menu and asked to try it.  The waiter mistook my inquiry as "have my wings made with the sauce" instead of on the side as I wanted.  Well anyways, I asked again for them to bring the bottle out and I squeezed out a nice sized glob on some rib and it wasn't too hot, had a nice flavor and nice heat but easily bearable. I used it again several times on different items and it was the same, not too hot. So then I reached for my wings which I did not know were made with this sauce and the first wing burnt my mouth half-way to hell!  Each wing afterwards was equally as punishing and I had to have at least a one minute intermission between wings before I could continue.  I looked up the sauce on the internet and was expecting to see extract or morugas or something crazy in there, but habaneros?  In the bottled sauce, sure.  But whatever was in the sauce the did my wings with was different.  I think there may have been a chef with a sense of humor and a bottle of extract in the kitchen, because there was no way in hell the two sauces were the same.

I have had similar experiences with wings.  Who is making them in the kitchen can have a big effect on what comes out on the plate... "Chef with a sense of humor"  I like that.  I usually get "oh you are the hot sauce guy.." And then they try to burn my face off.

Back